Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 06:41 PM

18,962 posts, read 32,433,950 times

Advertisements

I don't think southerners hate CA anymore than people from any other region. There are some people in every corner of this country that have a negative opinion of Ca and that goes both ways of course, CA has people that hate other parts of the country for really no good reason. But the vast majority of people could care less about CA or what goes on here b/c they are too busy living their own lives. People aren't sitting around thinking of CA or hating it, why would they?

Old 04-19-2010, 06:48 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,440,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I appreciate you preliminary comments & recall other threads where I admired your comments. I know you are not a neo-confederate & why I am getting a bit confused by your comments or support of those who appear to be neo-confederates.
If I agree with what a point someone is making, then I agree with it. That has nothing to do with me supporting their bigger cause or me liking them. I would have no problem agreeing with you in one thread and arguing with you to the death in another simultaneously.
Quote:

But it doesn't take rocket science for Americans to know where racial discord has festered the worse. Believe it or not but the Civil War still is a sore issue with some Southerns [i.e. recent proclaimation from governor of Virginia]. My feeling is that the vast number of Southerners were not the former "Dixiecrats" & now the teabaggers. These groups have a disturbingly loud voice in the South however & need to be carefully monitored by the government.
Racial discord has festered the worst "publicly" in the south. Racial discord has been bad all over this country and become obvious recently. There is no way to prove that one region is any more racist than the other. As far as the Civil War thing.. I have lived in the south my entire life and I've never heard the word "yankee" used for anything other than baseball, I rarely see confederate flags (they would be looked down upon anyway), Never heard the Civil War discussed outside of a class or tour... you get where I'm going?

Old 04-19-2010, 06:56 PM

871 posts, read 2,237,674 times
Quote:
I appreciate you preliminary comments & recall other threads where I admired your comments. I know you are not a neo-confederate & why I am getting a bit confused by your comments or support of those who appear to be neo-confederates.
the only person mentioning the confederacy here is you. who here "appears to be a neo-confederate"?

you keep describing these different points of view. some southerners hate CA becuase they are poor and jealous of CA's wealth, some southerners hate CA because it has minorities. none of these views have you ever witnessed, because youve never been to the south nor have you ever had a real face to face conversation with any southerners. you think that you can somehow know all these things but they are just theories that youve made up.

please, speak your mind only when you actually have some idea of what it is you are talking about.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:58 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,324,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
If I agree with what a point someone is making, then I agree with it. That has nothing to do with me supporting their bigger cause or me liking them. I would have no problem agreeing with you in one thread and arguing with you to the death in another simultaneously.

Racial discord has festered the worst "publicly" in the south. Racial discord has been bad all over this country and become obvious recently. There is no way to prove that one region is any more racist than the other. As far as the Civil War thing.. I have lived in the south my entire life and I've never heard the word "yankee" used for anything other than baseball, I rarely see confederate flags (they would be looked down upon anyway), Never heard the Civil War discussed outside of a class or tour... you get where I'm going?
Maybe because you live in New Orleans. Read some of the comments on other threads devoted to the Rebel flag or in the political section & you will realize that some Southerners most definitely do talk about the Civil war [at least on C-D].

Old 04-19-2010, 08:06 PM

287 posts, read 494,757 times
Quote:
Maybe because you live in New Orleans. Read some of the comments on other threads devoted to the Rebel flag or in the political section & you will realize that some Southerners most definitely do talk about the Civil war [at least on C-D].
Someone needs to get out and get a life or something. Your basing these silly generalizations on forum?

Old 04-19-2010, 08:09 PM

287 posts, read 494,757 times
Quote:
Typically the hayseeds go berserk & why the South has such a negative image. It always ends up with confederates claiming that other regions of the nation also have hate groups\ white supremacist\ kkk types. It is deplorable when you bring the discussion down to the worst people as a defense for the South! Yes, we all know that there are crazy dangerous racists all over the U.S. but if you are suggesting that these groups have the same influence in California\ Northeast\ Northwest\ Great Lakes, etc. as they do in the South than you are getting absurdly defensive. Let's at least be for real.
You have this knowledge based on what? I am still wondering what verifies this " common knowledge" you seem to have becuase it all looks like stereotypes and Hollywood to me acually living in the south.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:58 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,939,564 times
I think Sur is proving why a lot of people sometimes detest California, and it has little to do with the fact that they're wealthy or the fact that they are some magical land where there is no racism and everybody gathers around the city limits, holds hands, and sing "kumbaya" every night (at least according to sur). It has more to do with the fact that a lot of them run off of silly stereotypes and simply refuse to see the facts about a lot of things in this country. And i'm not saying this about all Californians because I live in Austin, the Californian magnet it seems. I see at least 10 Cali liscense plates every day these days. I've met some Californians here that are really down to eart nice people, but that doesn't change the fact there are quite a few of them who come off the way Sur is right now.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:05 PM

3,068 posts, read 7,982,309 times
Based on some of the comments, the title of this thread should have been "Why does California hate the South?"

Old 04-19-2010, 09:09 PM

871 posts, read 2,237,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
Based on some of the comments, the title of this thread should have been "Why does California hate the South?"
although its mostly coming from one californian, but yes

Old 04-19-2010, 09:28 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,051,281 times
Quote:
Yes maybe neo-nazi's & certainly skin heads do exist but their number compared to the overall population is minuscule. Remember that California has more people than 39 other states combined & Los Angeles is larger than some states. To be a skin-head\ neo-nazi in California is like a pimple on an elephant. They have no influence & instead are chased\ beaten & ran out of town [ie. Los Angeles last Saturday]. BTW, most of those white supremacists had to be ex-con's [just looking at all their provocative tattoos & stupidity to walk into a crowd - total losers]. There's no sympathy whatsoever for neo-confederates & even to suggest such means you have no idea what California stands for.
And these type of groups are the norm in the south??? I suggest stepping into the 21st century. This is not the 1950s. Do I need to bring all the articles about the race riots and turf wars (usually relating to race) up about the Southern California area???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.