U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 06:15 AM

239 posts, read 512,821 times

Advertisements

This is something that I've always wondered. Someone asks something about a negative aspect of a certain region/state/city, and other folks chime in that the OP is "stereotyping". I live in New Orleans. If someone asked "Why is crime so high in NOLA?", I wouldn't take offense, nor would I assume stereotyping on the part of the OC. According to the dept of justice, NOLA has had the highest per capita murder rate of any large American city, for ten years running. The question "Why is crime so high in NOLA?", is to me, a very valid one -- especially coming from someone who may be considering a move here.

Yet, if you ask "why are people down South heavier than those in other parts of the country?" (another point backed up by govnt statistics), you're "stereotyping Southerners". Or, if you ask anything that happens to point out a negative aspect of a certain part of the country, others chime in and get upset. I don't get why. This is a huge country, with vastly different subcultures and regional differences. People are bound to love some areas, and dislike others. If they do have a negative opinion, what's so wrong with that?

If you come to New Orleans, and realize that this isn't the place for you, and end up hating it here, well...I respect that. I'll be the first person to admit that NOLA, like any other place, has its share of major problems.

Sorry for the rant.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:12 AM

871 posts, read 1,958,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativeguy504 View Post
Yet, if you ask "why are people down South heavier than those in other parts of the country?" (another point backed up by govnt statistics), you're "stereotyping Southerners". Or, if you ask anything that happens to point out a negative aspect of a certain part of the country, others chime in and get upset. I don't get why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creativeguy504 View Post
This is a huge country, with vastly different subcultures and regional differences.
you answered your own question. when people ask these questions, and describe things they dislike about certain regions, they are often generalizing huge groups of people as all being one in the same.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:12 AM

648 posts, read 1,417,995 times
Because when people grow up in a place, you have a special bond with the place. It is like your country, so you defend it. At least that is how it is on City-Data. The general public probably does not care about any city outside of theirs.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:35 AM

5,728 posts, read 9,094,871 times
I just don't like seeing lies or embellishments being bandied about on a forum like this and then have someone pass them off as the truth. The recent allegation that the entire state of West Virginia is a "toilet" or that Pennsylvania is not very hilly by some ignorant chucklehead (in a string about the Midwest) needed to be nipped in the bud. Even though I don't live in either state and only know a few people in either place, I deemed it necessary to set the record straight.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:52 AM

10,630 posts, read 23,426,330 times
Because many of these stereotypes AREN'T based in truth. The "negative aspects" in question often tend to be things like "why are all southerners rebel-flag waving ignorant racists" or "the Midwest is one big corn field" type of things. (or in my own personal pet peeves, "no one rides no public transportation in LA") I don't think there's anything wrong with negative opinions, but so often the reasoning is faulty at best. I know on both of my regular forums (Minneapolis and LA) people will often complain about caliber of the people; I admit that makes me angry not because those threads are usually not designed for any useful purpose. People see what they want to see, and don't want to hear that if, in any large metro area, they're only finding people who fit into stereotypical category, then they need to take closer look around.

And of course on the general forum there do seem to be some posters who do seem to have made it a personal mission to both take no criticism of anything for their own state or city, and who for whatever reason feel it to be just as much of an insult if someone says something positive about another city. I have no idea why people think it's impossible to love multiple cities, or, for that matter, to acknowledge that no place is perfect.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:28 AM

13,789 posts, read 7,325,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Because many of these stereotypes AREN'T based in truth. The "negative aspects" in question often tend to be things like "why are all southerners rebel-flag waving ignorant racists" or "the Midwest is one big corn field" type of things. (or in my own personal pet peeves, "no one rides no public transportation in LA") I don't think there's anything wrong with negative opinions, but so often the reasoning is faulty at best. I know on both of my regular forums (Minneapolis and LA) people will often complain about caliber of the people; I admit that makes me angry not because those threads are usually not designed for any useful purpose. People see what they want to see, and don't want to hear that if, in any large metro area, they're only finding people who fit into stereotypical category, then they need to take closer look around.

And of course on the general forum there do seem to be some posters who do seem to have made it a personal mission to both take no criticism of anything for their own state or city, and who for whatever reason feel it to be just as much of an insult if someone says something positive about another city. I have no idea why people think it's impossible to love multiple cities, or, for that matter, to acknowledge that no place is perfect.
Great Post...this should be a "sticky" at the top of each of the forums dealing with cities or states!

Old 04-17-2010, 12:13 PM

924 posts, read 1,389,965 times
OP's right in a way though.

I've had my opinions discredited because they didn't believe I had ever been to the state that I LIVE IN for crying out loud, just because they weren't happy with my opinion of it.

Usually, the more boring the region/state/city, the more defensive it's residents are.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:10 PM

2,271 posts, read 4,531,826 times
I think what all the posters have said are true, but I talked about this with German guy today. We discovered that no matter how much you may dislike (or like) the place that you live/d in, it's still part of your identity to a certain extent.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:11 PM

3,596 posts, read 7,709,405 times
Because small people like to find big differences.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:54 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,139,273 times
Because stats only tell "what" and "when". They don't tell "why" or "how" and a lot of people take raw numbers and run with it. People assume that southerners are so much heavier, but if you look at the stats the south is only ahead by 2-3%. As for as N.O. crime, there's a heated thread about it right now in the Louisiana forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or