U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 08:27 AM

7,139 posts, read 13,179,165 times

Advertisements

Amendment: 1. EastCoast/WestCoast/Chicago Nation 2. Heartland Nation.

I work 12 hour days. I guess as a Texan, I have more stamina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 11:59 AM

5,857 posts, read 14,043,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I think that this is nonsense. There are conservative rural parts of the east and west coast (I'm thinking of rural New Hampshire and rural California) and there are urban liberal parts of the midwest -- hell, look at my location. That is right bud, there is something in the middle of beyond that myopic view of one giant farm. Perhaps I'll ride my bicycle on the way home past the memorial to the Haymarket riots and contemplate exactly what us 'heartlanders' accomplished (how are you liking your 8 hour work day?).

...actually, I ride my bicycle past the memorial the Haymarket riots everyday, so that really wouldn't be much of a change in my commute.
Conventional wisdom doesn't seem to know what to do with Chicago. I've heave heard the city alternatively described as "quintessentially Midwest" and "Midwestern in geography only". (Don't quote me!)

Old 06-12-2007, 12:04 PM

4,852 posts, read 8,989,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Conventional wisdom doesn't seem to know what to do with Chicago. I've heave heard the city alternatively described as "quintessentially Midwest" and "Midwestern in geography only". (Don't quote me!)
Houston has been described as "unTexan" or "a city that happens to be in Texas."

How about N. America being divided into United States, the Confederate States of America, Canada, Newfoundland, Mexico and the Republic of Yucatan.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:21 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,878,787 times
Northern VA is the new south? I have to disagree. I'd say it's part of the northeast, socioeconomically and culturally.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:24 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,864,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post

I work 12 hour days. I guess as a Texan, I have more stamina.
yes, but thanks to a little thing known as 'the labor movement', you didn't start doing so at age 10.

Old 06-12-2007, 02:01 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,710,539 times
Joel Garreau, author of that book, is nothing but a load of hot air... he is good at coming up with buzzwords like "edge cities," which the media loves, but his geography is too fuzzy. The "empty quarter"-- give me a break! What was he smoking when he came up with that phrase? This is the great American West-- we are chock full of national parks, touristy towns, things to do-- and with the explosive development of cities like Phoenix, it ain't so empty out here either! There's another Joel out there, Joel Kotkin, who is a lot smarter, if you ask me. He's written a lot about America and urban geography.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:03 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,122,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post
Northern VA is the new south? I have to disagree. I'd say it's part of the northeast, socioeconomically and culturally.
Um, no its not. Its southern-light. I grew up there in Loudoun county.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:37 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,319,905 times
question: in the first list, where is MD and DE?

Old 06-13-2007, 08:34 AM

4,852 posts, read 8,989,338 times
  1. United States (Union and Western states)
  2. Confederate States of America (southern states)
  3. Canada
  4. Newfoundland
  5. Mexico
  6. Republic of Yucatan

Old 06-15-2013, 03:48 PM

2 posts, read 1,389 times
1. Prison Nation, those in prison, out on bail, on probation, on parole, in jail awaiting trial, and finally those waiting to be arrested.
2. Security Nation, those who work as guards in the prisons, those who supply the prisons, lawywers, judges and balifs, probation officers, bounty hunters, police, private security guards especially the army of people who inspect us at airports.
3. Secret Nation, those who check up primarliy on those living in Security Nation and if they have any time left over on Prison Nation.
4. Illusion Nation, the corporate and govermental leadership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.