U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2007, 04:22 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,367,117 times
Let's do a little kneejerk word assocation. When I hear the word Connecticut, the following things come to mind: rich, stuffy, uptight, big homes, rolling hills, conservative (although I know it's not really at all), colorful fall foliage, peaceful, quiet, Martha Stewart, WASPy, Yale, clapboard homes, Mystic and ESPN.

Now, I know that all of the above don't define Connecticut. I realize that there is much more to the state and that the above glosses over things like the decrepit state of some of it's urban areas among other things, but they are the first things that come to mind in a quick succession when I hear the word Connecticut.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 04:24 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,922,354 times
If I ever have an abode in CT again, dullnboring, you will be among the first invited to visit--to dispel this dreary picture of the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
Let's do a little kneejerk word assocation. When I hear the word Connecticut, the following things come to mind: rich, stuffy, uptight, big homes, rolling hills, conservative (although I know it's not really at all), colorful fall foliage, peaceful, quiet, Martha Stewart, WASPy, Yale, clapboard homes, Mystic and ESPN.

Now, I know that all of the above don't define Connecticut. I realize that there is much more to the state and that the above glosses over things like the decrepit state of some of it's urban areas among other things, but they are the first things that come to mind in a quick succession when I hear the word Connecticut.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:27 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,367,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
If I ever have an abode in CT again, dullnboring, you will be among the first invited to visit--to dispel this dreary picture of the state.
Hehe, thanks. Count me in!

I should say that I've only been to/through Connecticut I believe twice and I actually really like the state as a whole, and wouldn't rule out living there in the future; although I'm more into larger cities than suburbs and smaller towns, and Connecticut's larger cities don't hold much interest to me.

Old 06-10-2007, 05:23 PM

570 posts, read 1,911,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
Hehe, thanks. Count me in!

I should say that I've only been to/through Connecticut I believe twice and I actually really like the state as a whole, and wouldn't rule out living there in the future; although I'm more into larger cities than suburbs and smaller towns, and Connecticut's larger cities don't hold much interest to me.
You definitely want to stay away from Bridgeport, Hartford and Waterbury because the crime rates are high and there are many gangs. But once you go into the suburbs, much of what is posted above is true in many towns.

Connecticut is actually rather conservative. Well, fiscally conservative and socially liberal. People here dress conservative, act conservative but if they were to see two boys or two girls walking down the street holding hands, for the most part they wouldn't look twice.

New Haven is a nice, cultured city with beautiful architecture but it depends on where in the city you go. The gap between the rich and poor here is unbelievable.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:03 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,285,468 times
WASPy state with ghetto cities

... wow, I just described all blue states with one clever label.
Chocolate chip cookie for me, please.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:20 AM

12 posts, read 37,667 times
I think of New Jersey when I think of Connecticut. I am afraid that New Jersey also suffers from an identity crisis.

BTW, I live in Northern NJ.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:22 PM

47 posts, read 72,593 times
Default why

If this is not on topic in the Connecticut forum I donít know what is
The mayor starts some projects and in the mean time people are having there homes foreclosed
But one of the mayors projects is affordable housing. Another project that was in the town paper
Was a trolley car on main street. That would raise property value with more tax from businesses
Now to keep up payments for the budget which includes the projects what was it.. 500 troopers pink slipped
And now I see today a 500 cut in special needs for children jobs. To keep the budget
For what. . To create more jobs after laying off over 6000 state jobs. To cut jobs from 500 troopers
Read the paper there have been shootings and stabbings one fatal in Stamford just this past week
Whatís next pink slip the police. And the icing to the cake is Connecticut legalized
Small amounts of Mary Jane. Welcome to Stamford Connecticut the city that works for the people
What he did was raise our tax to start these projects and now he cant keep up payments and people
Loose there homes there jobs and now its not safe to go out at night. I donít know
Why this mayor is still in office we need the troopers and handicapped kids need those
Jobs active. For what. Someone reply this.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:10 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,971,236 times
I lived in NoNJ and traveled to CT 3-5 times a year for family. They lived in Shelton, fairly close to New Haven.
the Yale campus in New Haven is really nice, and the hospital is very prestigious. The crummy neighborhoods in New Haven reminded me of the crummy neighborhoods in Paterson NJ, the two states have very similar demographics in this regard.
Also, New Haven has an amazing food (pizza/burgers/ice cream)... VERY underrated.
I haven't really explored Bridgeport other than driving through it on the CTTPK... It Reminds me of of Elizabeth from the NJTPK. I haven't explored Elizabeth either- The two cities have a very similar demographic though.

Stamford is very nice. It has a very wealthy, educated population, and has a really good location as a college town.

Most of the suburbs in CT are very charming. It can be very sprawly and boring, but it's definitely among the prettiest sprawl in America. The beach towns are very quaint.... Trees/Woods are endless

One's Education, salary, and safety is better in CT overall than the majority of states.
But
TAXES TAXES TAXES - Gas prices SUCK - Snobs - It can be quite boring

Old 07-19-2011, 01:23 PM

9,397 posts, read 9,557,120 times
North New Jersey
Both really weathy but have horrible rundown cities, except for 1 in CT it is Stamford in NJ its Jersey City.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:00 PM

5,728 posts, read 9,098,362 times
CT is known as the Land of Steady Habits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or