U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2011, 02:53 AM

317 posts, read 481,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremeyk482 View Post
But what do you guys think when you hear Connecticut? Conservative, liberal? Suburban, redneck? Boring, fun?

I'd really like an outsiders opinion...again- only because I'm bored!!!

I've never been there but it doesn't seem like a bad state. When I hear Connecticut I think of quaint, traditional, and have a good college basketball team.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 05:08 AM

56,266 posts, read 54,712,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Why is it that Connecticut and Massachusstts name their highways "turnpikes"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Used to be another name for a Toll Road.

You can find them in Kansas and PA as well.
NJ, too. We have, of course, the NJ Turnpike, but there are also older roads running throughout the state that are no longer toll roads but still called turnpikes.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:29 AM

5,728 posts, read 9,100,738 times
^^^Forgot about NJ. I have not visited there in a good decade.

To Thomas R. The largest ethnic groups as a percentage of the overall population of CT are Italian, Irish, English, German, French and Polish. The Hispanic population is also growing thanks to an influx of Puerto Ricans and has now reached close to 10%.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:29 AM

9,448 posts, read 18,367,813 times
Newyorkachusetts

Old 07-23-2011, 11:24 AM

2,348 posts, read 2,428,615 times
I look at Connecticut through the eyes of a New Englander. Of which it is one of the six states of the region.

There is this magical cut off point I would define as the Housatonic River in Fairfield County. If you live north/east of it, you are a New Englander, it you live south/west of it, then you are a New Yorker.

That's how I judge Connecticut. It terms of its New Englandness.

So for all you Benidict Arnolds of South-western Connecticut [who btw was a Nutmegger] Go Sawks!

Old 07-23-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Newyorkachusetts
Exactly, a nutmegger will describe Hartford in terms of its Bostonian or New Yorker traits...

of course it's like the 7th largest city in the region [third in the state].

Laughable.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:31 AM

4,112 posts, read 3,827,531 times
CT's underrated in my opinion.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:46 AM

5,728 posts, read 9,100,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Exactly, a nutmegger will describe Hartford in terms of its Bostonian or New Yorker traits...

of course it's like the 7th largest city in the region [third in the state].

Laughable.
Really? I was born and raised in the Hartford area and I don't. In fact I don't know a single person in my social circle that does or for that matter have ever met anyone anywhere either in CT or from CT in other areas of the country that does. The only people that seem to debate this issue are from other states. Hartford has its own identity just like most of CT. Fairfield County is definitely influenced by NYC but it still is part of CT.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:07 AM

7,141 posts, read 9,925,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
I look at Connecticut through the eyes of a New Englander. Of which it is one of the six states of the region.

There is this magical cut off point I would define as the Housatonic River in Fairfield County. If you live north/east of it, you are a New Englander, it you live south/west of it, then you are a New Yorker.

That's how I judge Connecticut. It terms of its New Englandness.

So for all you Benidict Arnolds of South-western Connecticut [who btw was a Nutmegger] Go Sawks!
Yes, but only if you judge New England not as a complete 6 state region but solely as those areas under the influence to Boston. Thus if an area is under the influence to another city, especially the dreaded Big Apple , than it is no longer New England.

It is not just the Boston partisans who say this. On the Connecticut forum there was this guy who insisted Connecticut was no longer part of New England and instead was part of the Tri-State area (NYC metro). Mostly because he was into the New York sports teams and hated the Boston teams!

What I don't understand is why people don't let Connecticut simply be both, the entire state is part of New England and part of the state is under the influence of New York City.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Yes, but only if you judge New England not as a complete 6 state region but solely as those areas under the influence to Boston. Thus if an area is under the influence to another city, especially the dreaded Big Apple , than it is no longer New England.

It is not just the Boston partisans who say this. On the Connecticut forum there was this guy who insisted Connecticut was no longer part of New England and instead was part of the Tri-State area (NYC metro). Mostly because he was into the New York sports teams and hated the Boston teams!

What I don't understand is why people don't let Connecticut simply be both, the entire state is part of New England and part of the state is under the influence of New York City.
But it would have only come under the influence of New York City, say in the last 50 years, in the age of Suburbanization. There is some 300 years where Nutmeggers would have had nothing to do with the Dutch Colony. Under the same guise of suburbanization, I wonder how many New York families moved to Fairfield County in the past 3 generations. Whereby maintaining their New Yorkness, while living in New England, hence the identity crisis of southwestern CT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or