U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2007, 10:33 PM

570 posts, read 1,912,175 times

Advertisements

Hi all.

I'm bored tonight and after reading all of these threads, I began wondering what outsiders think of when they hear the name "Connecticut."

The state has an identity crisis. The western third is considered suburban NYC, while the eastern third is strictly Boston. The central part consists of Hartford and it's insurance companies.

But what do you guys think when you hear Connecticut? Conservative, liberal? Suburban, redneck? Boring, fun?

I'd really like an outsiders opinion...again- only because I'm bored!!!

Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 11:03 PM

6,490 posts, read 16,183,561 times
I live in northern NJ, maybe 20 miles from the CT border, but really know almost nothing about CT. I hear about its wealthy suburbs and communities like Stamford, Greenwich, Darien, etc. but I've never seen them. I've also never seen the supposedly beautiful areas of Litchfield County during Fall. Instead the only places in CT I've been to are Bridgeport, New Haven, and Hartford. Bridgeport is a dump, the part of Hartford I saw was too, and New Haven, despite its reputation for being a dump actually looked very nice downtown and around Yale.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I live in northern NJ, maybe 20 miles from the CT border, but really know almost nothing about CT. I hear about its wealthy suburbs and communities like Stamford, Greenwich, Darien, etc. but I've never seen them. I've also never seen the supposedly beautiful areas of Litchfield County during Fall. Instead the only places in CT I've been to are Bridgeport, New Haven, and Hartford. Bridgeport is a dump, the part of Hartford I saw was too, and New Haven, despite its reputation for being a dump actually looked very nice downtown and around Yale.
Yes New Haven has many nice areas. Hartford and Bridgeport are very poor with many unemployed minorities.

Last edited by jeremeyk482; 06-09-2007 at 11:17 PM..

Old 06-10-2007, 06:25 AM

4,723 posts, read 13,935,770 times
I spent alot of time in Salisbury.I loved it,I thought I was in another world,time. The surrounding areas(Litchfield county) were equally lovely.When I think of the state,I think of this area and could move there in a heartbeat,but I wonder about visiting and living there,maybe too slow,"dull" for a kid?.And yes I know,most of Connecticut is not like this.Am curious about the schools as parts of the state are overly obsessed with the competitive side of education(or so I am told)

Old 06-10-2007, 07:11 AM

25 posts, read 176,099 times
I think Connecticut is a beautiful state with an aging infrastructure. It is a state I'd like to explore more but is just not convenient to get to.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:22 AM

449 posts, read 1,045,558 times
I think Connecticut is beautiful also-I think green, pretty, lots of trees, especially beautiful in the fall. I also think it would be an excellent place to raise a child, I've heard great things about the schools. I also think very professional, high end income families. As a single mom I think it would be too expensive for me, I'd go in a second if I thought I could afford it. When I lived in NY we used to go to Sharon, what part of the state is that in??

Old 06-10-2007, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensen beach gal View Post
I think Connecticut is beautiful also-I think green, pretty, lots of trees, especially beautiful in the fall. I also think it would be an excellent place to raise a child, I've heard great things about the schools. I also think very professional, high end income families. As a single mom I think it would be too expensive for me, I'd go in a second if I thought I could afford it. When I lived in NY we used to go to Sharon, what part of the state is that in??
Sharon is in the Northwest Corner of the state...in the Litchfield Hills. It's very quiet up there and the towns have a lot of character. It's a world away from the busy suburbs about 45 minutes south.

As for being convenient, RDCofDE, it's right in between Boston and NYC. Can't get much more convenient than that!!

Old 06-10-2007, 09:07 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,929,453 times
I've never lived in CT full-time, but did spend about 20-odd summers in Sherman (CT) and actually have CT on my list of 3 possible re-location sites (in the same area).

CT has a quieter reputation than MA; is more heavily populated than ME, NH and VT, and seems to keep a low profile except at election time

And I happen to find it a remarkably beautiful state in its own unique way, and worth exploring by those unfamiliar with its resources, attractions, and fine folk.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:17 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,918,613 times
The Midwest is better

Old 06-10-2007, 09:18 AM

4,909 posts, read 12,540,884 times
I have a favorable impression of Ct. but you are absolutely correct about the identy crisis. It might be the most indistinguishable state in the usa. To me first and foremost its a bedroom community for NYC, secondly its the southern tip of New England. Both great qualities to be a component of but the state is so small that you can't really take it seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or