U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 07:49 AM

25 posts, read 71,508 times

Advertisements

I've heard that if you go to U.S. as a turist and get a job in there it's easier to get a Green Card? just asking if it is true? anyway one more question...if I'm interested in music and I'll get signed to recod label, does the government count it as a job or not, or is the basic thought of getting money?
answer please!
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 08:55 AM

421 posts, read 604,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllegalForeigner:) View Post
I've heard that if you go to U.S. as a turist and get a job in there it's easier to get a Green Card? just asking if it is true? anyway one more question...if I'm interested in music and I'll get signed to recod label, does the government count it as a job or not, or is the basic thought of getting money?
answer please!
thanks
People on tourist visas can't get jobs.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:01 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,916,102 times
Acquiring a job without a proper visa and getting caught gets you a one way ticket home, or so they say. If you'd like to live in the US, I suggest you follow the guidelines for entry and sleep easier.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:12 AM

469 posts, read 2,556,957 times
I would suggest reading the US State Department's Immigrants to the U.S.. Basically, there's a few ways of emigrating (LEGALLY) to the USA.

1. Marry an American.
2. Have job skills valuable enough so that an employer will fill out lots of paperwork to get you a Green Card.
3. Apply for the Diversity Visa Program. Estonia was eligible for the 2008 program, and may be eligible again for the 2009 program.
4. Have a close relative (parent, child, or sibling) who is an American citizen sponsor you for a green card.
5. Claim asylum. This only works if you can convince the emigration officials that you are in fear for your life or liberty if you return to your native land. This works best if you're a religious or ethnic minority persecuted in your home country.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:14 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,916,102 times
High marks for Mississippienne--however, one alteration in that list: it is no longer easy to get married to an American and assume citizenship or green card status. It has been over-used and abused, frowned upon and investigated heavily.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:22 PM

2 posts, read 4,279 times
what if I really love this girl and want to marry her? that still doesn't make me US citizen automatically does it? but what if I'd like to go to U.S. to study in college and during the studying to apply green card and when I've been present for 5 years, can I apply the citizenship?

Old 06-10-2007, 02:41 PM

469 posts, read 2,556,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyLandUSA View Post
what if I really love this girl and want to marry her? that still doesn't make me US citizen automatically does it? but what if I'd like to go to U.S. to study in college and during the studying to apply green card and when I've been present for 5 years, can I apply the citizenship?
No, just marrying an American does not automatically grant you citizenship. The only way to automatically become an American citizen is to be born in the USA or be born to an American citizen parent.

Apply for a K-1 Fiancee Visa. See Nonimmigrant Visa for a Fiance(e) (K-1). Please note that if you get this visa, you must marry your American fiancee within 90 days of you entering the USA. After you marry, your wife can file for you to become a Permanent Resident.

Old 06-10-2007, 02:46 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,732,270 times
It's important to follow the legal procedures or you'll be deported. Get yourself a Student Visa and come to the U.S. to study, most schools have foreign affairs offices that will assit you in applying for a permanent resident status and eventual citizenship. Be forewarned it's a lengthy process with lots of red tape. I know people who went through it.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:32 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,283,783 times
Basically, European musicians aren't held in high esteem by the legal immigration system. But, if you came from a Southern neighbor, you could just jump the fence ... but you won't try that when you see what your paycheck would look like.

I will be the first to support more immigration from Australia, Europe, and Japan. We need skilled workers here, not working for the competition.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:25 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,699,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyLandUSA View Post
No, even if you get married (Non-US citizen) to a US citizen, it STILL doesn't make you a legal US citizen, NOR does it give you a work permit.
Some people get that all confused.....2 completely different things.
First, IF you get married to a US citizen, here in the US or abroad, you STILL have to apply for a green card WITHIN your temporary visa time (once you enter the US with your new husband/ wife) which is 3 months. If you don't, and the temp. visitation visa time is up, you CAN be send back to where you came from, due to being here ILLEGALLY at that point!!
Next, you have to be married to the US citizen for at LEAST 3 (that was back in 1990) years, or maybe even 5 what I have heard now, to even consider applying for the citizenship test. BTW- they count only the "continous time of residence" here in the US as actual time for the citizenship application.
They will interview, and investigate, if necessary.
The process to go to college here and study is a completely different process altogether, and a special visa will be granted. (no, you will not be qualified for the greencard per say, nor the US citizenship).
You will have to leave the country, once you are done with your education period, which has to be documented by the college. (Unless, you get married in the meantime...please refer to the above steps about that topic).
Anyway, please be adviced that, even IF you are married to a US citizen, STILL doesn't guarantee you for the INS to let you STAY here....just trust me on this one.
The only thing what will help you, and make something 100 % certain, is to go to your Consulat and inquire there. (They will be able to tell you everything you need to know, from the waiting period, to the paper mountain being filed as well as all the fees it will come with)
Better to be safe, then sorry.
Good luck!

Last edited by MB2; 06-10-2007 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or