U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2007, 05:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,793 times

Advertisements

Avoid Elkins WV.
I've worked there, and I've found many anti-gay people there. To the point of being violent even. Just a slight warning, and good luck on your relocation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 05:28 AM

55 posts, read 240,000 times
You're kidding.....Birmingham is a metropolitan city & very accepting of diversity :-) Besides Atlanta & perhaps Charlotte, North Carolina you will not find a more laid back attitude in the entire southeast!

From Mountain Brook & Vestavia Hills to Homewood & the less populated towns on the outskirts of B'ham every gay person I ever met had an extensive "social circle" that went way beyond just their co-workers & expected group of friends.

The ENTIRE Crestwood area of Birmingham is where you want to check out & is a desirable neighborhood with some beautiful homes!!!

Old 06-11-2007, 06:20 AM

4,459 posts, read 6,388,570 times
Just my 2 cents

All of New England is tolerant; compared to other regions of the country it is screaming liberal. New Hampshire just passed a civil unions law, Rhode Island will likely pass gay marriage law, and Connecticut next (we already have civil unions).

Vermont has perhaps- the most 'alternative' everything in New England ; from organics, to medicine, to meditation to -well you name it- they have it.

If coming from the Bay area- you will be overwhelmed by the beauty of the state. The winters can be brutal however. With southern Vermont (including Brattleboro being the mildest)

I like Brattleboro- its very liberal and has a nice downtown, with an urban feel that backs up to mountains. It has a great food co op- and many fine restaurants, and upscale bars, arts venues, theater groups and museums- not bad for a town of just over 12,000.

Plus it is close to the very liberal scene in the Pioneer valley in Western Massachusetts around Northampton.

Visit Vermont- and check out the other New England states- they offer much.
PM for info regarding gay friendly CT. CT is closer to major urban centers- and has a milder climate you could more easily adapt to.
And it is very liberal.

Old 06-11-2007, 06:32 AM

43,012 posts, read 92,359,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I'd quibble a little with the idea that Mexican War Streets is child-friendly. Not much open space (until you get down to the park anyway), lots of steep hills that aren't conducive to bike-riding, and rather close to some not-so-great patches of urban-ness.
Agreed. The Mexican War Streets is not child-friendly. The other areas mentioned are better for raising a child.

Old 06-11-2007, 07:51 AM

77 posts, read 260,981 times
I'd like to second all the comments made about the "gay-friendliness" of Pittsburgh. My partner and I recently relocated to Pittsburgh from the Baltimore area due to his securing a job at Pitt. We found an apartment we liked in the South Hills near the South Hills Village mall which is right at the juncture of Mt. Lebanon, Upper St. Clair, and Bethel Park. We looked at some other city neighborhoods as well (and love the rowhouses in the Mexican War Streets) but decided that being closer to the dog park and green space was more important right now.

On the whole, we have found Pittsburgh to be an extremely friendly place and the people to be pretty tolerant. There is a small, but vibrant gay community and a great GLBT center in Squirrel Hill that hosts many groups and activities. Pittsburgh is no San Francisco (we'd know -- we lived there for six years), but it's also not as portrayed on "QaF". My friends in Toronto (where QaF was actually filmed) like to tease about that all the time.

I think you will find that Pittsburgh is a friendly, welcoming place. It may not be as vibrant or open as San Francisco, but I think you already know that. It's a great little town with a lot going for it.

Old 06-11-2007, 07:59 AM

570 posts, read 1,259,699 times
Plus option about the North Side- Mexican war streets is the proximity to the park, tennis courts, open space, Children's Museum, and the rest of the 'alternative cultural opportunities' that are found on that side of city. Not to forget the growing north shore river opportunities such as kayak rentals, crew,fishing, biking.. as for crime... a friend officer with the PPD corrected my assumption last year that the north side had a higher crime incidence then the east end. Shadyside and oakland both greater numbers in that area. Probably very fair to say that the Northside is certainly a neighborhood that is now going through more transistion then recent past.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:12 AM

1,446 posts, read 4,505,413 times
Lol................................

Old 06-11-2007, 08:16 AM

13 posts, read 49,437 times
Talking Gay In Abq

Not to worry . It is comfortable with differences . It will not be as outwardly flambouyant as your larger cities , but we are here . I would not even consider living where there is no diversity .Think central NJ in the 60's .Besides there are so many artists that are attracted to the state , Santa Fe and Taos , it brings an openess to NM . I would suggest taking a few weeks or so and feeling the vibe before the big move . There are many affordable extended stay places, it could be a good idea .

Old 06-11-2007, 09:11 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,663,933 times
The Hillcrest and Capital View neighborhoods have plenty of gay residents. Those areas are probably the most gay-friendly parts of LR.

If you're a church-goer, I can recommend some open/affirming churches in the LR area.

Best wishes.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:14 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,114,469 times
I think if anything, you could live in Huntington...pretty progressive. I don' t many if any suburbs of NYC have a booming gay crowd. If you want a more quite life, you can live close, near a train, and go into the city for some things. If you want to be in the mix and be around mostly gay people, then off to the city, I would think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or