U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2007, 09:48 AM

7,283 posts, read 17,254,200 times

Advertisements

I don't think or rather I would like to think that being gay wouldn't make a difference unless you move to a redneck town or to a place where the majority of people have a holier than thou attitude. I haven't seen that in NM. Most don't care. It's more of a "live and let live" attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 10:12 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,351,559 times
I'm from Elkins, I didn't think it was too bad. My boy friend and I go back there on my breaks from college and pretty much all my friends and everyone at parties we go to know we're gay, and its no big deal. I've never heard of violence towards gays either in Elkins.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:32 AM

1,897 posts, read 6,194,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
I think if anything, you could live in Huntington...pretty progressive. I don' t many if any suburbs of NYC have a booming gay crowd. If you want a more quite life, you can live close, near a train, and go into the city for some things. If you want to be in the mix and be around mostly gay people, then off to the city, I would think.
Huntington may be a good suggestion. Just recently, they had the "Pride parade" on Main street. I took notice of it b/c I said to myself, that is the only time I have seen something geared towards gay and lesbian in LI.

I have friends who are a gay couple, they live in Great Neck, own a beautiful house, etc. Their neighbors have no issues with them, they are just a couple who have a nice house and are respectful wonderful neighbors. I think you can be accepted anywhere or run into trouble anywhere, its just luck to some extent with "neigbors".

Good luck

Old 06-11-2007, 12:18 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,381,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
Your kidding right... Vermont was the state that made national news when it came up with legal civil unions for gays.
Vermont Secretary of State - Civil Unions (http://www.sec.state.vt.us/otherprg/civilunions/civilunions.html - broken link)

I would assume that every gay organization, newsletter, website has Vermont near the top of the list for states that are accepting of alternative lifestyles.

Use your google and I think you find this to be true.
"accepting of alternative lifestyles" (?)

It's true I suppose - some of my best friends are conservatives...

Old 06-11-2007, 12:21 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,381,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Just my 2 cents

All of New England is tolerant; compared to other regions of the country it is screaming liberal. New Hampshire just passed a civil unions law, Rhode Island will likely pass gay marriage law, and Connecticut next (we already have civil unions).

Vermont has perhaps- the most 'alternative' everything in New England ; from organics, to medicine, to meditation to -well you name it- they have it.

If coming from the Bay area- you will be overwhelmed by the beauty of the state. The winters can be brutal however. With southern Vermont (including Brattleboro being the mildest)

I like Brattleboro- its very liberal and has a nice downtown, with an urban feel that backs up to mountains. It has a great food co op- and many fine restaurants, and upscale bars, arts venues, theater groups and museums- not bad for a town of just over 12,000.

Plus it is close to the very liberal scene in the Pioneer valley in Western Massachusetts around Northampton.

Visit Vermont- and check out the other New England states- they offer much.
PM for info regarding gay friendly CT. CT is closer to major urban centers- and has a milder climate you could more easily adapt to.
And it is very liberal.
Great post as always Skytrekker.

I'd add 2 things -

First, Is Brattleboro really less cold than Burlington? The Lake Effect moderates our weather here a great deal.
Also - Montreal is a pretty happening "major urban center" and it's a scenic drive of well under 2 hours.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:54 PM

4,459 posts, read 6,388,570 times
Chaz

Re: Burlington and Brattleboro on climates
They are both rated zone 5 according to the Abor foundation and the USDA.
However, the zone 6 line is right over the border in Massachusetts- very close to Brattleboro. While the zone 4 lies just to the east of Burlington once you get away from the moderating influence of the Lake. I would give the edge to Brattleboro- since just to the south the entire Pioneer valley is rated a zone 6.

Also thanks for the compliments-!

Old 06-11-2007, 02:01 PM

4 posts, read 19,064 times
You should check out the NJ areas right across from NYC -- Guttenberg, West New York, North Bergen, Edgewater -- especially the luxury buildings like The Galaxy, Rivera Towers, Summit House, etc -- which have amazing GFLAG (Friends of Lesbians & Gays) community programs. You are 15 minutes from Manhattan in these areas, and can get a nice place from $300K (apt) to $550+ (for a multi-family house). Many amazing people in these little townships -- lots of artists, entertainers, real-estate people, urban professionals. North Bergen has a good high-school, and there are really nice private prep schools in Edgewater as well. Good luck!

Old 06-11-2007, 02:02 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,230,483 times
I agree with BobbiJ above. San Marco, Southside, Intracoastal West, Beaches, Avondale, Riverside - these would be what I'd recommend.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:05 PM

5,002 posts, read 4,259,874 times
How about the village of Bellport. If you dont need a school, it is a great area. Or Sayville, that is even better.

dorothy

Old 06-11-2007, 02:11 PM

3,587 posts, read 4,935,108 times
Default really gay-friendly

Pittsburgh is refreshingly gay-friendly. My partner and I have lived here for 25 years and have gay and straight couples as friends. We're both out at work, in the neighborhood, and everywhere else. Some of our friends have children and live in both the city and suburbs.

The East End - Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, Oakland, Highland Park, Point Breeze, and Regent Square have a good mix of people: gay and straight, different races, people from other countries, and young and old. Good walkable neighborhoods, tree-lined streets, and good neighborhood business districts.

Pittsburgh has over 100 gay organizations - everything from GLENDA (Gay and Lesbian Neighborhood Development Assc.) which does community volunteer work, to a rowing club, running club, political orgs, family orgs, you name it. It's not San Francisco, but it has a little bit of everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or