U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2007, 10:44 PM

15,512 posts, read 17,740,343 times

Advertisements

I'm no expert on the "gay scene" in Albuquerque, but there seems to be a shyteload of lesbians in this town (in my neighborhood, at least).

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

If you read the Weekly Alibi (free news weekly) you may come under the notion that nearly everyone in Albuquerque is gay or bi or transgender. OK so that's a bit of hyperbole but there seems to be a very active gay scene here and a lot of friendliness towards gayness.

Then again I live in the University/Nob Hill area (which if you are gay is probably where you want to live).

ABQConvict
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 09:48 AM

6 posts, read 21,737 times
My partner and I have lived in Montclair for twelve and a half years and it's completely gay-friendly. The Montclair community as a whole is very diverse and I can almost guarantee you would feel 100% comfortable here. Also, I agree with previous posters who've said that New Jersey as a whole is a refreshingly progressive state. Good luck and welcome!

Old 06-21-2007, 02:22 PM

6 posts, read 25,899 times
West Orange is a great town. Many, many gay couples with kids here. It is close to Montclair and Maplewood so great restaurants and an easy commute into New York.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:07 AM

4 posts, read 18,652 times
sanfranmike - are you planning on relocating to Bham from San Fran?

Old 06-22-2007, 04:55 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,199,372 times
teaching Sex Ed and tolerance would be that. Although alot here are willing to tolerate it a little. Most are not. This new law and the life style in general has a long way to go in NH. It is unfortunate but true. The Dem's in charge don't seem to realize in time it would have come anyway. So they pushed it and passed it and now alot here are pissed about it. I have actually seen signs on the side of the road that say We are not VT go home. Intolerance is strong, when forced to accept something before a state is truly ready. I actually saw 1 bumber sticker/magnet that said Gay's belong in Mass not NH, so go home. I myself openly admitted don't agree with it, but that don't mean Gay's are bad people. I am sure I do alot that people don't agree with. Life goes on.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:34 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,427,113 times
NH doesn't have a sex ed class in schools, or did I misunderstand the first sentence? I don't have kids in school, so I have no idea on the curriculum up here........

Old 06-22-2007, 05:38 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,199,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windchimes03561 View Post
NH doesn't have a sex ed class in schools, or did I misunderstand the first sentence? I don't have kids in school, so I have no idea on the curriculum up here........
LOL yes it does. I was meaning Gay sex ed. LOL They do touch base with it but only like 15 min worth.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:17 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,427,113 times
Okay - I obviously misunderstood! Perhaps one day everyone will be more tolerant of "alternative lifestyles" so the question the original poster asked will not be necessary when contemplating a move......

Old 06-23-2007, 01:01 AM

786 posts, read 1,907,402 times
Sanfranmike...Statistics certainly don't tell the whole story, but you may want to check out the hate crimes stats by state at statemaster.com. It shows New Hampshire 3rd highest per capita for sexual orientation-related hate crimes.

Old 06-23-2007, 07:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,457 times
We moved to Bennington 1 1/2 years ago. Have found the area to be very gay friendly and have met at least 10 other gay couples since we moved here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or