U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2007, 10:34 AM

3 posts, read 9,027 times

Advertisements

I live in Tulsa. I work with gay people and attend a church (All Souls Unitarian) that has an openly lesbian minister. Everybody gets along just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 11:50 AM

4 posts, read 8,651 times
It's safe for gays here. Search for habana inn.. its in the city and its a large gay attraction.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:32 PM

2 posts, read 19,549 times
I'm a middle aged gay guy who moved to Albuquerque. I lived in the SF Bay area for a dozen years and left there in 2000. Been in Albuquerque for a couple of years, after leaving a town on the East cost that is very popular with gay tourists.

I'd agree with many of the other posters that Albuquerque is pretty gay friendly, although the thing that I have had difficulties is that the community isn't very visible.

There isn't any real gay neighborhood here, and I'd agree with others that the Nob Hill area is probably the most gay friendly area of town.

I've been out at the 2 jobs I've had since moving here without any difficulty. I've never felt any more unsafe here, despite all the posts about the crime level here.

If you move from San Francisco, the things you will probably notice right off. I don't see a whole lot of gay people out and about. I was used to being in work situations where lots of people were gay. Here it seems as if I'm the only gay person at work.

There are only a few gay bars in town, if the whole state:
Pulse/Blue (dance club, mostly younger crowd)
the Albuquerque Social Club (private club)
Sidewinders (country western bar)
Exhale (lesbian bar)

There are rumors another bar is to open soon. I'm not much into the bar scene so the lack of choices doesn't matter much to me, but it does give you some insight into the community.

We have a film festival, held in the fall around the same time as the Balloon fiesta. I've attended the festival twice and for me it's the highlight of gay events here. It's a fairly new festival so it's growing, but it's nothing like the Frameline event in San Francisco. If you want to see any kind of gay cinema during the rest of the year, you'd have to drive up to Santa Fe for Fabulous Thursdays, where the Santa Fe Film Festival show ***** cinema. I've never been, mostly because of the drive involved, but I have read it's usually not well attended. Usually it's Netflix for me.

There's a gay paper call the Voice which comes out every 2 weeks. Again, happy we have it, but not a whole lot to it, but it's improving all the time which is nice to see.

There's an outdoor group and I've been trying to go to their events, but my work schedule makes it difficult.

If you're politically inclined you could check out Equality New Mexico.

I've heard rumors of a gay bowling league starting up, but haven't seen much evidence of any other gay sports related stuff, although not my thing so maybe I've missed it.

If you've done any web searches, you've probably noticed that the few gay Albuquerque related sites are very out of date.

For me, my biggest issue has been I have found it really hard to meet other gay men here.

All that said, I really like Albuquerque, warts and all.

Old 06-24-2007, 07:43 AM

1,346 posts, read 1,681,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert411dotcom View Post
The best advice I can give you as a licensed NJ real estate agent, take a serious look at Asbury Park.
asbury is a town with many issues, despite all the hype promoting the place, do a forum search on asbury park for details

Old 06-24-2007, 07:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,700 times
Its not bad, I am gay and its pretty good.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:55 PM

209 posts, read 1,581,318 times
I find these posts saying that people are "willing to tolerate" gay people extremely obnoxious. As though anyone needs your approval to live their lives. What other people do that doesn't affect you is none of your business.

This thread is about which towns the OP would be best choosing, not your personal views.

On that note, Maplewood and South Orange probably have the highest concentration of gay and lesbian families in North Jersey (particularly with children), and from what I have heard the schools there are great at working with gay and lesbian families.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:17 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,507,568 times
If this really is a 17 yr old, any of the towns in those counties will do really. There is no reason to limit yourself unless the adults like a more urban less soccer momish community.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:52 AM

183 posts, read 1,046,809 times
I'm not sure where you need to be, or what you can afford, but any of the areas around New Hope are VERY Gay friendly, and it's an awesome place. Cute town, nice shops and restaurants, close to Trenton... Anyway, even if you can't live there, you should take a daytrip, it's worth it... especially around the Holidays.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:24 AM

85 posts, read 595,048 times
Okay, here's the deal, this coming from a guy from Brooklyn...

Montclair is great, I would call it the "Berkeley of NJ" if that makes any sense.
South Orange and Maplewood are nice, but surrounded by ghettos.
Hoboken is so expensive now, you might as well live in the city.
Jersey City is okay if you like the urban atmosphere, but I prefer Brooklyn and Queens.

If the ocean is more your thing, go for the Monmouth County shore.
Long Branch is a bigger town that gets nicer and nicer every year, the boardwalk and beaches are pretty.
Asbury Park has some nice restaurants and stores but it is still basically a dump, Asbury is the poster town for the NJ gay community though, don't ask me why.
I love Ocean Grove and Bradley Beach, which are just below Asbury.

Good Luck! NJ is generally a really open minded place but every state has its right wing dumb asses. If you have any further questions I'd be happy to answer them.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:30 AM

6 posts, read 21,128 times
No one has mentioned Plainfield. It has it's 'urban' i. e. bad areas. but is also has some very stately houses in a beautiful area of the city, Sleepy Hollow. And on that note let me add: forget the school system if you should need it for your family, disregard the above!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or