U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2007, 11:02 AM

1,346 posts, read 1,678,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey111 View Post
No one has mentioned Plainfield. It has it's 'urban' i. e. bad areas. but is also has some very stately houses in a beautiful area of the city, Sleepy Hollow. And on that note let me add: forget the school system if you should need it for your family, disregard the above!
the reason nobody mentioned plainfield is that nobody in their right mind should consider moving there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 04:00 PM

74 posts, read 336,814 times
I have to chip in here. At this time (for the past six years for business reasons) we are in Amarillo, TX and believe it or not, if you want to find gay friendly areas, we are one of them. Many many professional gay men friends of mine have no problems - at all. The teen gay population here doesn't seem to have problems at the schools either - and there was a recent article about that... Amarillo is very Republican but pretty socially liberal. Also, anyone wanting a gay friendly city can check out Austin, Texas also. So, see, you can't paint a state (even a generally conservative one like TX) with the same paintbrush. Hope this helps somebody.

Old 06-30-2007, 01:18 PM

32 posts, read 121,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrolands View Post
I live in Florida, just back from visit to New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine, and Mass. I'm an older Gay white male traveling with younger Asian Gay male. Most motels didn't give us a hard time, even though they probably figured out that we were Gay. One thing did happen, in southwestern New Hampshire near the Vermont line. We were driving from Stowe, VT to Mount Washington, NH. My friend was driving, made a turn, cop pulled us over, said he crossed double yellow line when turning. Doubtful it was true. It was a rental car with New York plates, tourist brochures and maps all over the place. The officer was polite but asked us if we had "anything" in the car. I knew what he meant from watching Cops and Bad Boys but acted dumb. Drugs or weapons, he said, did we have any? Then he asked us how we knew each other. My friend didn't think anything about it but I felt most unwelcome there. He ended up letting us go without searching the car or running our licenses on the computer or radio.
That's standard procedure - They asked my 80 year old grandmother the same questions.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:44 AM

19 posts, read 45,593 times
What a rabid reply. Suburbanites know the suburbs-which I am. And brokers know the dying Pittsburgh housing market save for a few pockets of "growth". Sorry to stomp all over your Pixburgh pride with reality...are you owned by UPMC?
And boylocke-have a swinging time in Sewickley. I have piles of gay friends in Pgh. and they would not seek out Sewickley. So.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:39 PM

121 posts, read 333,230 times
"Sorry to stomp all over your Pixburgh pride with reality...are you owned by UPMC?"

Your post was more "rabid" than my reply. It just came across as Pittsburgh bashing. People can have any opinion they wish, but I don't think these forums are supposed to be a place for city bashing. It adds nothing to the discussion.

Maybe you didn't intend it as bashing, but when you say things like "pick a real city..." (which reads as "Pittsburgh isn't a real city") you have to expect that some people won't like it. This is a Pittsburgh-centric board, after all.

Old 07-04-2007, 06:10 PM

52 posts, read 137,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfranmike View Post
How is Birmingham for gay people? Would we be treated badly?
No one is likely to treat you badly but the majority of people in Birmingham definitely have different moral standards from those in San Francisco.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:13 AM

2 posts, read 3,902 times
People are alot more excepting than you would think, not everyone here judges and condemns. As for the 'moral standards' of the people in SF, I was a travel nurse there for several years and found them to be caring, helpful, hard working, wonderful people who didn't feel the need to shove religion/politics down your throat.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:19 AM

2 posts, read 3,902 times
Yes go back in the closet, pretend to be someone else and you'll fit right in. NO! Just be yourself. There is a big GLBT community here, you have to be careful, just like everywhere else, there is ignorance.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:58 PM

7 posts, read 26,716 times
Plainfield has a pretty large gay community.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:24 PM

23 posts, read 84,126 times
Default Little Rock and Eureka Springs

Little Rock has 4 Predominately Gay bars and a few mixed ones.
North Little Rock has 1 gay bar.. Side Tracks.
Little Rock has a strong Gay Pride Committee & a GLBT film festival.

The Hillcrest Neighborhood has Arkansas' only out lesbian member of the State House of Representatives.

Eureka Springs is the MOST amazing Victorian Village with LOTS of gay owned business, 3 gay bars and many gay friendly bars. It is the Gay Tourist destination of the South Central and Midwest drawing hundreds from surrounding states on many weekends and lots more during their 4 Diversity Weekends.

Eureka Springs also has Arkansas' only Domestic Partner Registry.
They DO have GLBT city council members.

Check out the following:
Gay News Bureau - Live from Gay Mecca - Eureka Springs, AR - News Opinion Travel Relocation
Welcome to Eureka Springs! (http://www.eurekapride.com/welcome/ - broken link)
http://www.diversitypride.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or