U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 04:29 PM

1,749 posts, read 7,679,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by potential transplant View Post
IMy gay friends have lived in Pasadena /L.A. areas. I know that Claremont (20 minutes west of Riverside) is a gay friendly community. .
My ex was from Claremont. It wasn't gay unfriendly per se but there's a lot of "love the sinner, hate the sin" aimed at gays once you hit Arcadia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 05:36 PM

2,493 posts, read 3,279,012 times
Riverside doesn't sound like much fun. Do you need to find work? What about Palm Springs? It's more affordable and features a great gay community.

greenie

Old 08-07-2007, 08:28 PM

20 posts, read 51,921 times
Cool gay in jacksonville

I've been in jax for two years now and dont think I've met a gay here yet. They wont accept a midwestern catholic farm boy here. Do you think theyd accept someone gay? Im not gay but I am also not prejudice against gays, but keep in mind this is the Bible Belt you are inquiring about. I seriously doubt they'd accept you here.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:37 PM

475 posts, read 1,096,444 times
Default Gay Friendly

A few years ago, I was flying back to Pgh to visit my son, who was then at the Art Institute. I had the pleasure of sitting next to a lesbian with a 5 year old son. She seemed happy to live in Pgh. and didn't seem as if it wasn't gay friendly. I recall that she lived in Mt. Lebanon.

I grew up in Beaver County in the 50's and 60's, and things then were very hushed up about homosexuality. Even there today, it would be different, which I attribute more to the times.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:28 PM

492 posts, read 621,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfranmike View Post
Been considering a move, strong possibility for Long Island, have friends in Sag Harbor but they dont really know much about the gay community if there is one.I have visited NYC alot and love it but would prefer to live outside the city.Is it comfortable and safe for gay people as it is in the city?
I do marine electronics (GPS, RADAR, NEMA) in Sag Harbor, lot's of gays and swingers from Manhatten, yuppie's boosting prices. They roll the sidewalks up 7PM unless its a weekend.
Personally I only met man-ly vagabond Lez's they waitress and run charters on the boats (the 2 from Austrailia were real cute but blah I cant stand the place.
(This is from my experience, excuse my verbage I dont know how to be PC people get pissed at me here)
Corner bar has the best food and burgers, steer clear of the pizza (all dried up reheated acidic crap the mexicans reheat), Chinese takeout by 7-11 BAD joint they are the worse food in all New York State.
The elderly older locals HATE ALL the new $$$ BTW
---Perhaps someone else can add more in PC

-Joe

Old 08-08-2007, 08:51 PM

2 posts, read 3,606 times
I lived in Pittsburgh for 3 yrs, couldn't stand how backwards it was, especially towards the gay community. Most of my friends there couldn't stand it either and have since moved to Columbus. I'm willing to give it another try since I just got another job there and I'm moving back.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:06 AM

553 posts, read 1,763,691 times
move to sayville or bayport,oakdale close to all for the gays train,ferry,gay bars etc.and they are all used to gays so it is no big deal.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:15 PM

7 posts, read 34,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
My ex was from Claremont. It wasn't gay unfriendly per se but there's a lot of "love the sinner, hate the sin" aimed at gays once you hit Arcadia.
I can agree. Just pick one people! Hate em' or love em'.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:47 AM

9,950 posts, read 8,081,025 times
My wife has a gay friend in JC. Not so good for your child though.

NJ is not typically very socially conservative; especially north and east. Even many rank and file GOP members are more of the stay out of my wallet types vs. social conservatives. My point is; I think you will find it pretty tolerant in NJ.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:29 PM

85 posts, read 337,441 times
I dont know a lot about Des Moines, I live in Davenport, but as long as you stay in one of the bigger cities, Des Moines, Davenport, Iowa City, Cedar Rapids, you should be ok. Iowa has gotten a bad rep as a backwoods conservative state, and in some rural areas that si true, but the bigger cities are some of the more liberal ones you will find anywhere, especially Iowa City. Davenport even has a gay bar district, and just had hundreds of people there the other night for the gay and lesbian presidential debate. No matter what state you live in you will find people that discriminate, but overall its pretty tolerant here. Now if you drive out into the country areas, I cant make any promisies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or