U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 07:26 PM

100 posts, read 491,801 times

Advertisements

I would tend to agree, but use caution as you would with anywhere. Understand that this is the Midwest, and cultural traditions/norms are very strong here. Most people in Iowa are kind, friendly, and well-educated. My uncle's ex-wife is a lesbian with 2 teenage sons, and lives in Ankeny (Des Moines suburb), and I haven't heard of any trouble there.

On a side note, I believe that Iowa has just passed a few state laws preventing discrimination based on sexual orientation, making it one of only a few in the country to do so.

Good luck in Des Moines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 08:35 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,198,470 times
Having several Gay friends I can say that according to them NO it is not. I don't know first hand but evidently alot is kept out of the news. Even when a Local anchorman was beaten almost to death while ridding his bike a couple years ago due to him being gay, It was never released even in the news as to why it happened. The gay community new but the general public was never informed. Even during the trial it was kept out of the story? But most people aside from the gay community will say yes it is. And they are correct to an extent. If one was to come with a in your face attitude than you will be rebelled against. But if you mind yours we mind ours. Just don't force your view on us and we won't force ours on you. Just because w don't agree with your life style don't make you an evil person. However if they started teaching gay life style in schools you would find a fast response from most parents. And Your child most likely will get ridiculed in school as open gays are still rare in NH. But that is the same with any child or teen in school that has something different. Dealing with it is part of growing up. I would stay near Portsmith or Keene smarter would be Portsmith.

Old 06-09-2007, 08:44 PM

13 posts, read 42,546 times
Hi sanfranmike!

Indianapolis has a rapidly growing gay community that is very diverse and lively. The highest concentration is in the downtown area, which you can check on the demographics, but is friendly all over the city.

I am assuming from your user name that you are coming from San Francisco, which is the known gay capital of the United States, so obviously there is a smaller number here, but I think you would be very satisfied with what Indianapolis has to offer.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Old 06-09-2007, 09:15 PM

14 posts, read 54,835 times
i would suggest the avondale area, san marco, or the beaches. i am a jax native and those have generally been the more "gay friendly" areas. good luck!

Old 06-10-2007, 02:42 AM

92 posts, read 462,445 times
Gay and Indianapolis don't mix really well - just letting you know. The city is ruled by democrats, but not exactly social liberals.

Gay Pride in Indianapolis is a joke (like in the majority mid-sized Midwest cities) and many times the local gays go to other cities for events and socializing - mainly Chicago, but both Louisville and Columbus, OH have more lively gay social scenes.

Not bashing Indy - gay social life just isn't a local strength. If you're seriously interested in Indiana, you need to look at Bloomington, Indiana. It is less than an hour from Indy, it is a very progressive city, and due to Indiana University, it has a very large cadre of liberal intelligentsia.

Best of luck!

Old 06-10-2007, 04:22 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,317,826 times
There's a large gay contingent in Little Rock...there was a club that started out initially for gays but has become diluted by straights over the years - but everyone goes there and it is/was a lot of fun. Lovely, I can't think of the name of it now. There's also a club called U.B.U. downtown, I believe on Capitol that is LGBT. You most likely will not see overt signs of affection too much publicly, and I honestly don't know that much - but my cousin is gay and is in LR, if you'd like me to find out more please PM me.

As far as safety, it is as safe for you as it is for me, or anyone else for that matter.

Old 06-10-2007, 05:45 AM

5,002 posts, read 4,250,294 times
Sag harbor is beautiful. We often regret not buying there. In our development ; and we live nowhere near Sag Harbor, we have two homes that have gay people living in them. Honestly, I love them and nobody has a hard time at all.

dorothy

Old 06-10-2007, 06:13 AM

114 posts, read 334,464 times
sanfranmike,
It really depends on the kind of life you want to lead. What kind of place are you looking for? There are several clubs in the city, and as other posts have mentioned, some gay-friendly neighborhoods near downtown. I visited the Pride festivities yesterday, and there were thousands of people. Chicago, and its very gay Halstead and Andersonville 'hoods are a couple hours away by car, a good weekend getaway.

On the other hand, the tradeoff for a little less excitement than you have in SF is very affordable housing. I've looked at real estate in your beautiful city recently, and I would say that housing is about a fourth to a fifth cheaper here in Indy. Come visit first and see what you think.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:17 AM

364 posts, read 1,123,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfranmike View Post
I was wondering how safe Little Rock is for gay people? Possibly relocating there , but have only visited twice for business so didnt get to go out and check things out.
In rural Arkansas you would probably experience problems, but as long as you are in the Little Rock metro, particularly the more population-dense areas of Little Rock, North Little Rock, or Conway, then you shouldn't have any problems. You'll be straight (no pun intended LOL).

Old 06-10-2007, 07:49 AM

453 posts, read 1,951,920 times
i have a gay friend who lived in birmingham while he was in college and he said he had no real problems. there are quite a few gay clubs and such.
of course being in alabama you'll always have your problems, and i'm sure that any area out of the bible belt would be much more accepting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or