Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 10:48 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times

Advertisements

Vermont is among the more accepting--but follow the threads and see if some towns are more accepting than others. Although a state can be defined as liberal and/or conservative, that is too broad a generalization. Pick some towns to look at like Brattleboro and Burlington, for example, and see where your comfort level fits.

Btw, the first same-sex union I attended was in Vermont--just outside Brattleboro. It was a beautiful ceremony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 10:51 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,475,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdffromNH View Post
If you are considering a move to NH, you might want to concentrate of central to Northern NH. A lot of small towns with good people! Most of the natives are open minded and friendly folks. Excepting of others.
Being North country myself I must disagree with this. I am originally from the southern part of the state Manchester to be exact. But Up here in Northern NH Gays are not accepted. They are to there face, But when they are not around, I have found a VERY LARGE prejudice toward them. To the point that I don't discuss my gay friends. North of Concord is older Values for the most part. I have found that they tend to think of gays as forcing there beliefs down our throats. And most people I come across up here still think They are Not acceptable. Some will accept but as for most Northern NH isn't ready yet.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:58 AM

35 posts, read 101,664 times
Default New Jersey and gay

Wheres a good place in NJ that is tolerable and safe for gay couple with 17 yr old son? Prefer to be NEAR but not in larger city.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:02 AM

35 posts, read 101,664 times
Default Albaquerque for gays

gay couple with son looking to relocate, how is the tolerance and safety in Albq. Nm??

Old 06-10-2007, 11:07 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,204,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfranmike View Post
Wheres a good place in NJ that is tolerable and safe for gay couple with 17 yr old son? Prefer to be NEAR but not in larger city.
asbury park

Old 06-10-2007, 11:12 AM

I agree with nhyrnut in general, but as I posted in the Vermont forum on the same question, we can't look at an entire state and say it is gay-friendly, or pro-guns. Individual towns/cities and regions differ widely just like our individual beliefs and opinions. And, unfortunately, I have found as much prejudice in some of our New England communities as elsewhere.

I suggest the OP think about individual neighbourhoods in specific towns and make a judgment based on those rather than the entire state of NH.

JMO.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:23 AM

13 posts, read 45,583 times
Well, then I think you would be very happy with Indianapolis! You really should come visit! We are very close to the same size as Wichita. We definitely have everything to offer that most major cities do, without having that overwhelming big city feel. And we definitely have many places where you can comfortably go dancing.

Please feel free to ask any other questions.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:31 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,213 times
The the civil union thing both when it was being discussed and eventually passed in very interesting. There were some folks that were dead set against it and resulted in a "Take Back Vermont" campaign. As a photog I travel the state and still see the signs in a few isolated spots, even tho it was several years ago but feel it is more of an idividual protest then the acceptence level of a town.

At the time since I believe Vermont was the first to give gay couples legal rights as a couple, many B&B's saw an opportunity and jumped on the bandwagon and from what I hear some did very well with special "civil union packages".

Another interesting outcome, although a sad one, is some of the civil unions are breaking up, getting divorced, if you will and that has presented a legal nightmare for both the couples and the legal system especially since many were from out of state.

As someone suggested come check it out for yourself, several gay organizations in Btown who would be able to help you get a sense about Vermont. I assume you live in San Fransisco(?), realize it'a long way but worth the time and effort in order to see if Vermont would work for you.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:44 AM

Always good to get more info; I agree with much of what you've said, but I do hear gay-bashing from some Vermonters (on this overall forum) so I have to imagine that although those signs are not seen much anymore the issue overall remains controversial in Vermont. Could be wrong, but I base it solely on observation of a few not the multitide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
The the civil union thing both when it was being discussed and eventually passed in very interesting. There were some folks that were dead set against it and resulted in a "Take Back Vermont" campaign. As a photog I travel the state and still see the signs in a few isolated spots, even tho it was several years ago but feel it is more of an idividual protest then the acceptance level of a town.

At the time since I believe Vermont was the first to give gay couples legal rights as a couple, many B&B's saw an opportunity and jumped on the bandwagon and from what I hear some did very well with special "civil union packages".

Another interesting outcome, although a sad one, is some of the civil unions are breaking up, getting divorced, if you will and that has presented a legal nightmare for both the couples and the legal system especially since many were from out of state.

As someone suggested come check it out for yourself, several gay organizations in Btown who would be able to help you get a sense about Vermont. I assume you live in San Fransisco(?), realize it'a long way but worth the time and effort in order to see if Vermont would work for you.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:46 AM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,289,965 times
For the most part I doubt that anyone in Abq cares if you are gay. You or anyone else being gay is not that big of a deal around these parts. Most are very tolerant. There are a few incidents but most of those are more related to drug deals gone bad than they are gay bashing.
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.