U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 11:54 AM

6 posts, read 24,950 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised on Long Island and I really can't think of a single community that has a significant gay population. I have a dear friend who is a gay man and he is trying desperately to get off the island for this reason. The city is really the place to be. Maybe you could offset the high rents by getting a roommate. I just think you'd be unhappy on Long Island unless you're moving here with a partner. It's going to be very tough for you to meet someone here. Sorry, but's that's honestly the way I see it. Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 11:59 AM

2,186 posts, read 5,994,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Always good to get more info; I agree with much of what you've said, but I do hear gay-bashing from some Vermonters (on this overall forum) so I have to imagine that although those signs are not seen much anymore the issue overall remains controversial in Vermont. Could be wrong, but I base it solely on observation of a few not the multitide.
Yup, totally agree...it's not a perfect world. That's IMHO is what makes Vermont a pretty unique place in that issues are openly discussed more than other places.

I think every person in the country should experience a town meeting here in Vermont where alot of the important issues are openly discussed. It can get pretty heated at times but afterwards the same people who are on opposite sides of an issue are sharing an apple pie and talking about the Red Sox over a Long Trail cold one.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:12 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,914,464 times
I checked to see where Cumberland (ME) and a dirt road meet, and couldn't find it.

But, I agree it would be helpful to sit in on a town meeting. I am sure I personally would enjoy it and learn more than hanging out elsewhere.

I'll check to see when a meeting is planned.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:41 PM

2,186 posts, read 5,994,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I checked to see where Cumberland (ME) and a dirt road meet, and couldn't find it.

But, I agree it would be helpful to sit in on a town meeting. I am sure I personally would enjoy it and learn more than hanging out elsewhere.

I'll check to see when a meeting is planned.
That's easy, all the towns in Vermont, even Btown has one, is on the same day, the first Tuesday in March. See ya there

I know the 2 town thing is abit strange but we are near retirement age so the family is in Maine but I'm currently in Vermont getting things ready as we will be selling the place in Maine after our last child has graduated HS and we will be in one place again. The wife is a Vermont native so to say she can't wait to become a Vermonter again would be an understatement. She is so jealous
I am already here and can't believe she ever agreed to this arrangement. I do, of course travel back and forth, as does she, as much as our gas budget allows.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:42 PM

1,749 posts, read 7,680,378 times
Not much gay life in Riverside. Your main gay-friendly areas for living and playing are:
West Hollywood
Long Beach
Silverlake
Laguna Beach
Palm Springs
and the surrounding neighborhoods and areas:
Mt Washington
Echo Park
Hollywood
Pasadena
Cathedral City

Riverside has lower rent. My partner and I get a lot of the same feelings in Riverside as we do in Bakersfield. If you're used to San Fran, the cost of living will be a lot lower.

Is there a reason you want to move to Riverside? It's about 2 decades behind L.A. in certain issues...
If you love it there, no offense, I just wanted to give you a heads up. If you've been there, you have a feel for it already.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:51 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,914,464 times
Shucks, I was hoping there would be a town meeting soon.

So, I see, changing places. I have just driven in a full circle from Maine to VT (south) and boy do I know about gas.

Good for you and the family.

Old 06-10-2007, 01:05 PM

54 posts, read 177,015 times
Don't live in Asbury Park if you have a kid!! Try the South Orange/Maplewood area. A good amount gay families. Also look at Montclair. Check out maplewoodonline.com for info there.

Old 06-10-2007, 01:36 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,628,761 times
Where I am, Proctor / Rutland area would not be very accepting
of this situation at all, unfortunately. I think you might want to
look at Burlington, Brattleboro, Montpelier, etc.....Contrary to
popular belief, a lot of rural Vermont is not liberal and open minded
at all. Sadly, Rutland is one of the most non-tolerant areas in these
regards.

Old 06-10-2007, 01:37 PM

12,284 posts, read 31,774,278 times
believe it or not - basking ridge/bedminster

Old 06-10-2007, 01:41 PM

27 posts, read 114,468 times
I wouldn't imagine you would experience many problems in Birmingham... no more than most other southern cities anyway. Probably if you do live in Birmingham, Southside or some of the more urban areas would be more accepting and you probably wouldnt really experience any real problems. The further out you go from the city, generally, the less accepting people are of that type thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or