U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2007, 06:20 PM

79 posts, read 428,542 times

Advertisements

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...OCAL/706100460
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 08:16 PM

570 posts, read 1,259,357 times
San Fran Mike. I have friends in the gay community that are both natives of Pittsburgh and transplants as well. As mentioned above the Mexican War Streets on the North Side of Pittsburgh has a large gay population. City living for sure with red brick row houses, tree lined streets and some typical city like crime. The area has a strong neighborhood association and seems to be on the move upwards as a city neighborhood. Some great homes can be found here. The east end of the city has a large gay population as well ( Shadyside, Sq Hill, Regent Sq ) And I have some gay friends in the burb's as well. Mount Lebanon, Crafton and Sewickley. Everyone seems to be fine with where they live. And I would say that for raising kid's all of those mentioned n-hoods are child freindly. As for neighborhood's with the most gay owned and operated buisness. Ellsworth and Walnut Street's in Shadyside have a cluster of such. Elsewhere you'll find it to be more spread out. Bring some sour dough from San fran won't ya...

Old 06-10-2007, 08:17 PM

276 posts, read 1,029,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhyrnut View Post
Having several Gay friends I can say that according to them NO it is not. I don't know first hand but evidently alot is kept out of the news. Even when a Local anchorman was beaten almost to death while ridding his bike a couple years ago due to him being gay, It was never released even in the news as to why it happened. The gay community new but the general public was never informed. Even during the trial it was kept out of the story? But most people aside from the gay community will say yes it is. And they are correct to an extent. If one was to come with a in your face attitude than you will be rebelled against. But if you mind yours we mind ours. Just don't force your view on us and we won't force ours on you. Just because w don't agree with your life style don't make you an evil person. However if they started teaching gay life style in schools you would find a fast response from most parents. And Your child most likely will get ridiculed in school as open gays are still rare in NH. But that is the same with any child or teen in school that has something different. Dealing with it is part of growing up. I would stay near Portsmith or Keene smarter would be Portsmith.
Portsmouth is a good area to consider...
Good Luck
Lisa

Old 06-10-2007, 08:44 PM

57 posts, read 86,339 times
My vote would be Morgantown. Progressive town because of WVU and it is close to Pittsburgh and not to far from DC.
There are a couple of really good (big city worthy) restaurants on High Street, which is downtown. They also have a monorail system (PRT), which while it doesn't go everywhere, can be convienant at times.
I lived there when I was in college back in the 80's, was openly gay the whole
time and never had a problem. Plus, if you have a boat, or can get access to one, Cheat Lake is beautiful.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:48 PM

6 posts, read 19,422 times
I understand Birmingham is in the top 10 for gay couple to move to. A couple entire neighborhoods are refered to as gay.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:36 PM

128 posts, read 716,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfranmike View Post
Gay couple with 17 yr old son looking to relocate near LA, prefer Riverside area, how is it for gay people there? Whats cost of living like?
Contrary to the previous poster's assertion, SoCal suburbs are not teeming cauldrons of homophobia. You're a lot more likely to experience discrimination and "looks" in LA than its suburbs. Sure 909ers won't let you marry, but you'll find daily interaction to be more pleasant with friendly people. Guessing from your settled family life, the Riverside area may be the best for you since it's affordable and teems with recreational activities that doesn't involve your local Hamburger Mary's. The Temecula-Murrietta-Lake Elisnore area probably has the best deal in the I.E. They have have tons of things to do and have separate cultural identities while being equidistant from San Diego and L.A. Climate so nice they grow wine here.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:59 PM

179 posts, read 842,941 times
one of my best friends is extremely butch and lives in that bakerfieldfresno area and there is a thriving lesbian community. I don't know about the guys. River side the few times i've been there i got the feeling that the school people were gay friendly. i don't know anything about the general populace though.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:23 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,349,232 times
Yea, Morgantown is nice, Also check out Huntington and Charleston. My partner and I live in Huntington, while we're attending Marshall Univeristy. Its a larger university, and the arts are big in Huntington. I personally consider Huntington the "gay" mecca of WV actually. As well as the local tri state region of Kentucky, West Virginia, and Ohio. My boy friend and I actually walk around holding hands, in wal mart, down the street, and through campus. I hope this helps, any questions feel free to ask

Old 06-11-2007, 01:54 AM

38,690 posts, read 89,196,393 times
I'd say "gay-indifferent" is more accurate than "gay-friendly." You have to seek out the handful of gay-oriented establishments. There is no "gay neighborhood" -- Pittsburgh has no equivalent to Boystown/Chicago, Castro/San-Fran, Village/NYC, etc. The only reason Qu33r As Folk was set in Pittsburgh is it was considered America's closest allegory to the original show's setting (Manchester UK, itself a once major industrial town that has lost a lot of its luster since its heyday).

I'd quibble a little with the idea that Mexican War Streets is child-friendly. Not much open space (until you get down to the park anyway), lots of steep hills that aren't conducive to bike-riding, and rather close to some not-so-great patches of urban-ness.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:21 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,988,919 times
You should have a look at Rancho Cucamonga....It seems like a nice area for Gay Couples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or