Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2007, 06:21 PM

2 posts, read 8,266 times

Advertisements

Hello, folks, I'm new here and have enjoyed catching up on all your opinions and ideas. Now I'd like to get your suggestions for my situation.

We're two women (one caucasian, one latina) with a 12-year-old boy and we're looking to move to an accepting, open, beautiful town anywhere in the US. Big enough to have good library, restaurants, some ethnic/racial/etc. diversity, lots of fun things to do, outdoor activities, and alternative religious/spiritual resources (for example, Religious Science and/or Unity churches, Abraham-Hicks study groups, or the like).

We're educated and have a successful business that can operate anywhere (it's internet based). One of us is a runner, the other getting back into bicycling. The young man is a little shy but really enjoys public school and is looking forward to a great new one. (Not into sports, but a whiz at computer games and an excellent writer as well.)

Don't know if any of that is useful, but might as well take a shot! We are free to move anywhere and are ready to do it right away. (We've been traveling for several months and are ready to settle down somewhere lovely and welcoming.)

Thanks so much for your help.

Chally
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 06:41 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,739,537 times
Don't know if you're looking for big city or small town but here are a few places that come to mind:
Seattle
Asheville, NC
Portland
Santa Fe

I live in Atlanta and would recommend a few places intown, such as Decatur, Virginia Highland, Grant Park or East Atlanta. But these other cities (IMO) have much more to offer.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:11 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,032 times
Minneapolis
-One of the highest used library systems in the nation. They have had some troubles with hours, but the new Central library was designed by Pelli. Amazing.
-Very gay-friendly town, huge pride fests. Very, very accepting.
-Tons of restaurants. Mpls. doesn't like $150 entrees, but dozens of ethnic restaurants and even more traditional choices. Check out eat street on Nicollet Avenue,
-I am not aware of the specific religious resources you outlined, but there are congregrations of every religion I can think of.
-There are miles of paths in the cities. The city Rounds goes for 50 miles around the city proper, and that is just one system. Lakes, Creeks, Rivers and old railroad tracks are now paths. Mpls. has the highest bike ridership rates behind Portland, and that includes winter.
-The public schools in Minnesota are unparalleled.
-No shortage of outdoor activities: fishing, boating, trails, hiking, et. cetera.
-Not as diverse as some other large cities, but large numbers of American Indians, Indians, Hispanics, Hmong and Somalis. The city of Mpls. is probably 65% white.
Hope you find what you are looking for
---Minnehahapolitan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.