Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 08:59 AM

634 posts, read 2,922,474 times

Advertisements

Just don't show public display of affection in front of Alabamans and you will be fine. Try not to speak out loudly of your sexual orientation.

Last edited by Marka; 06-11-2007 at 05:02 AM.. Reason: off topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 09:36 AM

13 posts, read 45,582 times
sanfranmike -

I agree with dodeca. It all depends on what it is you are really looking for. However, I do disagree with LouisvilleJake that gay and Indianapolis don't really mix well. While we are not as ingratiated as say Chicago, our gay community is rapidly growing. I am not just using my industry knowledge to answer this either, although that does help.

Through my line of work I have had the great pleasure of getting to know a lot of people in the gay community and develop some wonderful friendships. Beyond that, my bestfriend is gay and I work with him and his partner at my office. The single comment I hear the most is "Indianapolis is so clean." We take very good care of our city. Also, like dodeca said, our standard of living is fabulous compared to most of the United States. Indiana is one of the most affordable states to live in.

In the end, I guess it all still comes down to what kind of lifestyle you are looking for. Maybe if you elaborate on that, we would be able to answer your question a little more thoroughly.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:15 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Many gays in Iowa who stay in-state have been moving to Iowa City or Des Moines. Des Moines is a fairly safe and welcoming city for gays.

I know the state just signed legislation to cover gays/lesbians with equal civil rights in the state, there's a domestic partnership registry for homosexuals, and when the last bandwagon of state amendments banning gay marriage went through recently the state rejected all proposals.

On the recent legislation:

Quote:
Representative Beth Wessel-Kroeschell, a Democrat from Ames, said Iowa's major employers had lobbied for the bill. "Discrimination in any form is unacceptable," she said.
Moderator cut: Provide a link instead of copying everything here, please

Last edited by Marka; 12-10-2007 at 05:58 AM..

Old 06-10-2007, 10:17 AM

5 posts, read 8,675 times
If you are considering a move to NH, you might want to concentrate of central to Northern NH. A lot of small towns with good people! Most of the natives are open minded and friendly folks. Excepting of others.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:28 AM

35 posts, read 101,646 times
Default gay friendly in Vt?

Conservative but openly gay couple with 17 year old son looking to relocate.Cosidering several differant places, wanting info on how accepting and tolerable Vermont is ?

Old 06-10-2007, 10:32 AM

Default Open Minded in Tucson??

Openly gay couple researching for a good place to relocate that is friendly and tolerant.We are conservative but openly gay, have a 17 yr old son.How would Tucson be for us ?

Old 06-10-2007, 10:37 AM

Default Gay and possibly moving to So Cal

Gay couple with 17 yr old son looking to relocate near LA, prefer Riverside area, how is it for gay people there? Whats cost of living like?

Old 06-10-2007, 10:43 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfranmike View Post
Conservative but openly gay couple with 17 year old son looking to relocate.Cosidering several differant places, wanting info on how accepting and tolerable Vermont is ?
Your kidding right... Vermont was the state that made national news when it came up with legal civil unions for gays.
Vermont Secretary of State - Civil Unions (http://www.sec.state.vt.us/otherprg/civilunions/civilunions.html - broken link)

I would assume that every gay organization, newsletter, website has Vermont near the top of the list for states that are accepting of alternative lifestyles.

Use your google and I think you find this to be true.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:45 AM

Jodi Mcginley & dodeca
Thanks for the great Info! Actually I am from San Fran originally, but have been living in Wichita Ks, metro area pop. 800,000 (with all the burbs)for the past few years. We are conservative but out and have a 17 yr old son.Not looking for a party town, but a tolerable one, do occasionally like to go out dancing though!

Old 06-10-2007, 10:46 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,288,897 times
Seeing as how VT was the first state to allow civil unions for gay couples and is located in the most liberal region of the country, yes, Vermont is gay friendly. The larger towns are very gay friendly, but there are probably some small, isolated towns that may be more backwards and hostile. Small towns in Chittenden and Windham county should be fine as these are the more progressive parts of the state. I would stay away from the Northeast Kingdom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.