U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 05:33 PM

35 posts, read 93,607 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if it is safe for gay people to live in OKC, Norman, or Edmond. I currently live in Wichita ks, but from San Francisco.I have visited only twice, but have received a job offer there.

Last edited by Marka; 08-11-2007 at 07:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 06:30 PM

11,878 posts, read 33,540,797 times
I don't think you'll have a problem at all. People in Oklahoma are very decent people and unless you walk around with your heart on your sleeve (in just about any aspect; politics, religion), you should be just fine. Smaller towns aren't going to be great places to live with a gay lifestyle but places like OkC and Tulsa are large metropolitan areas with diverse groups of people.

Keep in mind that the OkC metro area is well over 1 million people. I'm not sure about this, and it has nothing to do with OkC, but I believe that Tulsa has a very large gay population and there are a lot of gay churches in the area. When I lived in Tulsa back in the 80s I had several friends who were gay and they were always frequenting the many gay bars in the area. There are several gay pride parades in Tulsa these days with a lot of participants, and they're treated with respect.

I live in Texas but am from Oklahoma and visit often. My neighbors here are a gay couple and literally the nicest neighbors I've ever had. They take wonderful care of the property, are considerate of other neighbors, and they make the neighborhood a better place for being here.

Once again, I wish you the best of luck.

Old 05-27-2007, 05:53 PM

431 posts, read 309,344 times
My sister and nephews are in Norman. It's a safe college town - University of Oklahoma is there. Tons of things to do, diverse people - you would like it. Good luck.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:40 PM

14,957 posts, read 13,328,314 times
I think Oklahoma City and Norman are probably the safest places for gays in Oklahoma. Oklahoma County had no trouble with electing and reelecting a gay county commissioner. Also an Oklahoma City state house district recently elected the state's first openly gay legislator.

And Norman in the recent past elected a gay for its city council.

Edmond is the more conservative place and not much can be said about it.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:26 PM

2,078 posts, read 5,657,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfranmike View Post
I was wondering if it is safe for gay people to live in OKC, Norman, or Edmond. I currently live in Wichita ks, but from San Francisco.I have visited only twice, but have received a job offer there.
Please check out these websites!

gaydemographics.org...Just the facts
Human Rights Campaign - Working for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Equal Rights

I hope these two sites help!
Good luck my GLBT friend!

Old 05-30-2007, 10:06 AM

19 posts, read 87,428 times
The habana Inn in Oklahoma City is the largest gay resort in America. If that helps explain anything about the gay population in Oklahoma.

Old 06-05-2007, 12:39 AM

1 posts, read 5,906 times
If you have children or a partner, I would get all your legal affairs in order asap. Oklahoma recently stripped the rights of gay parents to their own children, even out of state people just passing through; a federal judge stepped in on that one but there's more where that came from. At the same time, OKC does have a bigger and better nightlife than anyone gives it credit for, and gay resort town it's not but the Habana is kitschy and fantastic. Nothing against either b/c I've lived in all three towns, but I'd forget Norman and Edmond and live somewhere in NW OKC between downtown and Penn Square Mall. Unless you don't want to actually meet other gay people while you're there. Good luck!

Old 06-05-2007, 01:48 PM

26 posts, read 116,735 times
I don't think you'll have a problem in Oklahoma City at all. I live in Edmond, which is more conservative, and even here, I know several gay people who haven't encountered any problems. Best of luck to you!

Old 06-06-2007, 10:28 AM

3,490 posts, read 2,514,952 times
I lived in Tulsa from 1993-1999. It seemed very gay friendly to me, especially in the midtown area.

I believe OKC has a decent sized gay population and I would say chrisvan's post is probably some good advice as to where to live.

Norman is a very pretty college town. You would like it, except for the occasional homophobic frat boy.

Old 06-09-2007, 06:05 PM

35 posts, read 93,607 times
Default Thanks

Thank You all for your replies! I went to OKC again, checked out the burbs as well, I didnt encounter any probs anywhere, I felt the most comfortable in OKC and Norman.I have a friend in Edmond who insists Id love it, I think I will go for NW,OKC though if I end up moving, still waiting to hear from some jobs in other places too.Once again, Thanks, Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or