U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2007, 06:46 AM

1 posts, read 3,663 times

Advertisements

Hi, this is my first post here, I live in Australia, and I am currently looking at a good place in the U.S for a working holiday.

Main reason being that ever since i was about 6 i wanted to live in America and I would like to go for a sort of try-before-you-buy.

The main things i'd look for are:

Weather: Nice sunny weather, although if it was to be cold, somewhere that snows because i've never seen snow before. Not too hot though maybe 32 celsius (89.6 f) max.

Rent Costs: Somewhere cheap but still relativly nice, with lots of attractions.

Job Availability: Definatly the most important thing, i need to be able to find a job fast that would pay decent money.

A Way To Get Around: Also very important, i wouldnt have a problem riding a bike to work everyday, but i wouldnt be able to drive in the U.S and taxi's would be way to expensive. Busses, no i dont like traffic when i'm on a bus.

That's all i can think of from the top of my head but if you need to know anything else just ask.

My 2 places i'm thinking of now are Tampa/Green Bay, could you please tell me if something is wrong with these? Thanks

-edit- Just remembered, it would have to have a fairly low crime rate aswell, where i live now i dont see any.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 09:24 AM

4 posts, read 17,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie89 View Post
Hi, this is my first post here, I live in Australia, and I am currently looking at a good place in the U.S for a working holiday.

Main reason being that ever since i was about 6 i wanted to live in America and I would like to go for a sort of try-before-you-buy.

The main things i'd look for are:

Weather: Nice sunny weather, although if it was to be cold, somewhere that snows because i've never seen snow before. Not too hot though maybe 32 celsius (89.6 f) max.

Rent Costs: Somewhere cheap but still relativly nice, with lots of attractions.

Job Availability: Definatly the most important thing, i need to be able to find a job fast that would pay decent money.

A Way To Get Around: Also very important, i wouldnt have a problem riding a bike to work everyday, but i wouldnt be able to drive in the U.S and taxi's would be way to expensive. Busses, no i dont like traffic when i'm on a bus.

That's all i can think of from the top of my head but if you need to know anything else just ask.

My 2 places i'm thinking of now are Tampa/Green Bay, could you please tell me if something is wrong with these? Thanks

-edit- Just remembered, it would have to have a fairly low crime rate aswell, where i live now i dont see any.

I'd say if you want cold head to colorado springs/denver area in Colorado. I moved there last year from pennsylvania and i LOVE Colorado! It shouldn't be to hard to find a retail job in the springs (cashier or burger flipper somewhere) seeing as there are tons of stores/resteraunts. It's a decently sized town with alot of natural attractions nearby(ie pikes peak, royal gorge, seven springs) Denver area is the same, but it's alot closer to the bigger sky resorts, just head west for 20mins and your in the rockies! With that in mind you could look into getting a job at a sky resort for the winter.
Transportation wouldn't be bad on a bike for commuting to work if you lived in the city. As for seeing the county and such, there are alot of buses that run out to the mountains.
Summer isn't to hot and not humid. Winters are cold and snowy! (personally i love cold and snowy)
I don't know what the crime rate is but i'v never been robbed! haha

Let me ask you the same question, I'm looking into doing a working holiday in Australia. (2010 maybe) Where would be a good area to live in for a year?
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or