U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 01:59 PM

4,723 posts, read 13,927,605 times

Advertisements

No,,"they" put the city in Gods humidity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 02:52 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,732,526 times
Good to hear from everyone. You guys offer valuable insight and I very much appreciate it. I wish I could visit "both places" but reality dictates otherwise. I have a very hectic full-time schedule with little room or financial resources to visit. Anyhow, I have travelled enough and am very resourceful, so like you mentioned, once "I feel comfortable and ready" I can make an informed decision. But yes, visiting simply is not an option given present circumstances.

Person- probably knows what I'm going through best, in terms of what I seek and what I DON'T want to end up with.

Oregonrain- Thanks for the words of wisdom. I'm planning carefully.

Houstoner- Appreciate the "objective" input.

Currently weighing the economy of both cities. Yes, a good job is important.

Please continue to share/discuss.......

Old 06-12-2007, 05:12 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,771,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
No,,"they" put the city in Gods humidity
I knew someone was going to say that, lol.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:16 PM

64 posts, read 381,384 times
I live in Houston, but lived in the Seattle area from 1995 to 2000, and traveled to Portland often. I found most cities in the pacific northwest to be unfriendly once they found out you were not from there, where Houston doesn't seem to be that way.

The weather is so different between the two cities. If you like cooler temps with cloudy days, and light drizzle, then Portland is your city. If you like hot & humid days with downpours, then you'll like Houston. Portland is much more pleasant in the summer IMO. I miss the scenery around Portland (love the mountains & rivers).

If your single, I think your better off in Texas. Oregon seems to have a surplus of overweight women for some reason, might have something to do with the cloudy days with drizzle??

Old 06-12-2007, 06:51 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,732,526 times
Haha....CLASSIC POST JIM 1967! I get that impression as well after having read the posting here. Portland's personality and Houston's seem world's apart, not only that but the economy is no where close. Weather wise I guess it comes down to what you like. Wish you could have California weather in either city.

Oh and just to throw something in...Houston's population increase since 2000 nearly doubles that of Portland. Apparently people are prefering Houston for whatever reason. I'd be interested to know how many transplants are NOT property owners/seeking to purchase a home.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:18 PM

60 posts, read 179,186 times
Default portland good, houston ultra bad...

Houston is a hot, humid, and nasty. I live in Orlando hate them both.
Portland is beautiful, chilly though.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:46 PM

933 posts, read 3,121,519 times
We just moved here from Portland in October. I grew up in Oregon, but have also lived in So Cal and Utah. Portland and Houston are so different, but both have their charm. Portland is far more beautiful than Houston, but not as friendly. There are much better restaurants in Houston, but you can't beat the great coffee shops in Oregon. Portland is much more liberal, yet not as diverse as Houston. Portland is very woodsy with lots of green, beautiful mountains, plenty of streams and nature abounds. As for which I perfer, I'll just say this, Oregon is where I am from, it's home, but so far, Texas has been really good to us and really made us feel at home. That is hard to find.
~K~

Old 06-12-2007, 10:43 PM

942 posts, read 1,067,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandy View Post
We just moved here from Portland in October. I grew up in Oregon, but have also lived in So Cal and Utah. Portland and Houston are so different, but both have their charm. Portland is far more beautiful than Houston, but not as friendly. There are much better restaurants in Houston, but you can't beat the great coffee shops in Oregon. Portland is much more liberal, yet not as diverse as Houston. Portland is very woodsy with lots of green, beautiful mountains, plenty of streams and nature abounds. As for which I perfer, I'll just say this, Oregon is where I am from, it's home, but so far, Texas has been really good to us and really made us feel at home. That is hard to find.
~K~
I think you said it all perfectly. On another note I as well as people that visit Portland don't really find this a restaurant town, naturally there are restaurants and a few are good, but it is limited and one really notices that when they visit other cities in the country. This is a coffee shop place basically.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:54 PM

9 posts, read 17,773 times
What is with all the posts comparing Portland to Houston, all started by the same guy? Isn't one thread good enough?

Portland: liberal, beautiful, green, bohemian, mom/pop, grassroots, public transportation, overcast with light rain, moderate housing prices, core downtown, laid-back atmosphere, very little traffic, good urban planning.

Houston: moderate, nothing special to look at, not nearly as green, suburbia, box stores, crap public transit, hot and humid, low housing prices, urban sprawl, pollution, horrible traffic, and the list goes on.

It's really a stupid comparison since the cities are so different. I would look at it this way: live in a liberal mecca that is beautiful, or live in urban sprawl with an airport named after George Bush; live in hip bohemian neighborhoods with close access to the city (North Portland comes to mind), or live in some crap little suburb; live in an area where people keep to themselves reading books or making music, or live in an area where people are more outgoing and less educated. Your choice, good luck in making it.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:15 AM

942 posts, read 1,067,835 times
He needs to make a decision that is very difficult to make. If he needs to have 100 posts to help him make the decision, that is fine with me. Personally since you supernova are not from either one of these cities, I would decide the way I said before. Where the best job was going to be, where the economy was strongest with a variety of jobs, that is the number one consideration the JOBS AND WHAT KIND OF HOUSING AM I GETTING IN THIS NEW CITY. The other would be WHAT KIND OF PEOPLE LIVE IN THIS NEW CITY I AM MOVING TO, AND HOW GENUINELY FRIENDLY ARE THEY. What is their reputation as a state in that dept. Lets face it whether a place is attractive or unattractive if the people are weird and introverted and not all that hospitable, what the hell is the sense of living in the place. Since you are not able to visit either of these places you would do yourself a world of good, by doing research on both places not looking for only the good in a place cause that does not exist, look at the cons of each place as well, and I mean beyond the climates. Look at the unemployment statistics for each locale, and see how your skills would fit into each place. I think you will find many service jobs here in Portland, unless you are in a hi tech profession, or medical, you might have problems here. This is not fortune 500 country here. I don't believe in telling someone that a place is all green and pretty with beautiful views of snow covered Mt Hood and jobs fall from the sky here.I think that harms the persons views and gives them a false impression of the place. There are too many people that move to florida thinking that everything is all life under a palm tree and then can't find a job to pay for the high cost of housing there. If I were you I would definitely weigh the job outlook in Houston and Portland and move to the one that gave me the most important thing in life, the means to have one. You have plenty of time to move to the one you think is nicer looking when you are retired. Portland is beautiful, but I fear that unless you have a specific skill that is in demand here, you or anyone can have a difficult time finding suitable employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or