Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 01:09 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,026,075 times

Advertisements

I'm curious how many people have lived or had extended stays in either city. Could you give me your views as to how you felt in both of them? How were the cities different and/or appealing to you? and which offers an overall higher quality of life in your opinion?

When I compared the cost of living it doesn't seem that far apart when you factor in all living costs and not just housing. Houses are far more expensive in Portland but Apartments are only $50-75 apart. Certainly not a financial gap like comparing Seattle to Houston. Anyhow, I'd be interested in your views and experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 02:03 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,614,403 times
Yes,I have lived in and visit both still,and I already answered these same questions in another of your threads.Good luck with your decision

Old 06-11-2007, 04:12 PM

Thanks. I was interested in hearing from new people as well as anyone who had some other insights to add.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:16 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,288,897 times
What's with all of the Houston/Portland threads? It's like this site should be renamed www.houston-portland-data.com (broken link). Give it a break, please! And to be on topic, Houston and Portland are totally different. Portland is hippie/environmentalist and Houston is capitalism on crack.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:43 PM

Just interested in people's thoughts. It appears that a lot of people are considering moving to one of these cities so I thought to probe some insight for myself as well as others. That way it benefits all and may answer others questions. Thanks for your "eloquent" description of both cities but I think it would be interesting to hear about actual experiences and in depth outlooks on both cities. So let's open your comments up for discussion, if you don't mind.

Is that all there is about Portland, just hippie/environmentalists or is there more?

Is Houston a capitalist monster on crack? Discuss.........

Old 06-11-2007, 04:49 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
What's with all of the Houston/Portland threads? It's like this site should be renamed www.houston-portland-data.com. Give it a break, please! And to be on topic, Houston and Portland are totally different. Portland is hippie/environmentalist and Houston is capitalism on crack.
You need to bring it down a notch. The user is just trying to get some info in order to make their relocation decision easier.

Old 06-11-2007, 06:01 PM

Thank you Not only for myself but for many others as well who are curious about other people's experiences and views. Speaking of which...just got a call from a friend who moved to Atlanta , heard it's fascinating and all, people gave him a perfect picture of the city but managed to ommit the flaws. He also did some research but "obviously rushed in to it." Now, he wants to move. Which means "starting all over." Moving is VERY DIFFICULT and when done right....you'll know.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:54 PM

48 posts, read 267,577 times
This is second hand, so bear that in mind. ...Have a very close friend lived in Houston many years, moved to Portland, after a year and a half or so left for Seattle. In his words Portland (and Seattle) was very "provincial." A less nice word, he used was "townie," both of which would to describe people actually from the pacific northwest as oppsed to transplants with money (mainly Californians). The common thread to him was that Washington and Texas are at heart the 'don't tread on me' sort of red states, but Texas has bigger and more cosmopolitan cities. He always said one thing he loved was that Washington still really embraced its agricultral heritage a lot more to the extent that the government encouraged stuff like organic farming, etc. Not sure what that means, but I guess it explains the Portland stereotype of a city full of crunchy hippies making artisanal cheese and brewing their own beer. In the end he was just bored in Washington and wound up in San Francisco.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:12 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grifsmom View Post
This is second hand, so bear that in mind. ...Have a very close friend lived in Houston many years, moved to Portland, after a year and a half or so left for Seattle. In his words Portland (and Seattle) was very "provincial." A less nice word, he used was "townie," both of which would to describe people actually from the pacific northwest as oppsed to transplants with money (mainly Californians). The common thread to him was that Washington and Texas are at heart the 'don't tread on me' sort of red states, but Texas has bigger and more cosmopolitan cities. He always said one thing he loved was that Washington still really embraced its agricultral heritage a lot more to the extent that the government encouraged stuff like organic farming, etc. Not sure what that means, but I guess it explains the Portland stereotype of a city full of crunchy hippies making artisanal cheese and brewing their own beer. In the end he was just bored in Washington and wound up in San Francisco.
Not sure I would call Washington a "red" state.

Texas, for sure. About as "red" as you can get. Washington is pretty solid "blue" at this point. Sure some parts are more conservative and Seattle certainly shifts the state left, but it is certainly not "red" in any sense of the word.

And I would say that Seattle is about as cosmopolitan as they come.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:43 PM

942 posts, read 1,392,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grifsmom View Post
I have heard several Californians refer to Portland as provincial. One told me he never wanted to live in a state again where all all the electoral votes were centered in one city in a big state. I hope whereever you choose to move, you are not just packing up and moving to either here or Houston without making a visit first. I think you may feel like you hit a brick wall at 100MPH if you found you didn't really care for the place. I hate to see you put yourself thru that. Please visit each place whether they be here or Houston or anywhere before moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.