U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2007, 01:25 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,733,593 times

Advertisements

Why is it that I get the impression that Texans/Houstonians are not so over protective about their city and welcome people with open arms as opposed to Portlanders you hear things like "Californians we don't want you" and other things along similar lines? Many people seem to feel the same. I was wondering what your thoughts are and if you see the same or notice something different?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 02:59 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,286,310 times
The bottom line is that no one wants those fleeing from California and Florida. They sold out their former homes (Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, etc), and they'll sell out their new ones too. Anywhere these people go, they leave economic depression and social ills in their wake. Perhaps the question should be: who loves drive-through Starbucks, SUVs, hired nannies, and 'outdoor lifestyle centers' more, Houston or Portland?

Old 06-11-2007, 04:03 PM

142 posts, read 956,317 times
I moved to Portland about 4 years ago from New England...to be honest my favorite people around here and the people who also moved here from somewhere else...most of the natives are OK, but yeah, some of them cop an attitude towards outsiders...mainly Californian outsiders. The problem with people here is passive aggression....very polite upfront, but you can tell by body language that something is awry....strange...hard to explain...but I bet if you talked with other non-native Portlanders they would know exactly what I am talking about.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:33 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,733,593 times
M TYPE X- I would have to respectfully disagree. I wouldn't say that people "sold out" their former "homes" and will bring "social ills" and cause an "economic depression." In fact, I don't see how that makes any sense as no one really has a "home." Most people are searching for that place to call home. Also, in America people constantly move, so it doesn't make sense to bring in the term "loyalty" as that's purely subjective. If you think about it your bond with your state is more about "business" than anything else.
Social ills and economic depression are a result of failure to work within a cohesive structure in order to benefit all segments of the population. The problem is "people's attitudes" and unwillingness to let others live. Very sick if you ask me! Thanks for sharing

acs- I totally agree with you. I have witnessed it myself happening to other people. I think you nailed it. America is filled with superficial people. I experienced this growing up in the suburbs, perhaps the capital of superficiality....lol. You live for 5 years in one location and don't even know your neighbors. The only time you get to know them is when they call the police to complain about your dog.....lol

I hope to see a change in America soon. People shouldn't feel threatened and unwelcomed because of locals bearing selfish attitudes. It's disappointing to hear that you experienced this, especially in Portland which is supposed to be the liberal capital of the US. THAT'S appalling if you ask me.

Now Texas on the other hand, a state known for its conservative/religious attitudes seems to adopt what liberals should be exercising as a lesson in manners and hospitality. This is shocking, it's as though the world needs to adjust its marbles....lol

Old 06-12-2007, 10:52 AM

942 posts, read 1,068,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acs.1979 View Post
I moved to Portland about 4 years ago from New England...to be honest my favorite people around here and the people who also moved here from somewhere else...most of the natives are OK, but yeah, some of them cop an attitude towards outsiders...mainly Californian outsiders. The problem with people here is passive aggression....very polite upfront, but you can tell by body language that something is awry....strange...hard to explain...but I bet if you talked with other non-native Portlanders they would know exactly what I am talking about.
I know exactly what you are talking about and I am from New England also. I think many Oregonians are friendly, but I also find myself more comfortable with people that moved here from elsewhere especially those in recent years. Many native oregonians not all but many don't give you a feeling of hospitality, something is missing there, politics are very much in your face here, mainly because everything is a ballot issue here. I found Portland is a nice place but it really is not always what it wants to portray itself as. I hear too many slants towards people from California and elsewhere that in all honesty makes it difficult to completely like the place. I wonder all the time here when I am out around town and see all the construction of light rail lines being built, yet the school ratings here are about as low as they can get, and all the social woes here, I wonder what type of mindset allows all that money to go to train tracks rather than building a society that would live up to Oregon or Portlands so called progressive reputation. I think one has to really define as to what is welcoming to them in their own minds when making a decision between different cities. There are many aspects to welcoming, beyond a friendly smile or handshake.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:14 AM

4,723 posts, read 13,932,997 times
I know exactly what you both mean,And Our good circle of friends were all from elsewhere

Old 06-12-2007, 12:31 PM

5,374 posts, read 12,993,520 times
Portland and Seattle are two of my favorite cities buy yes most of my pnw friends are from somewhere else too. When I moved here people always asked where I was from. When I said D.C. they always said 'oh just as long as your not from California'. I remember during the last major population count there was a story on the news about more Washingtonians moved to California than vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or