U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-20-2007, 08:51 AM

442 posts, read 1,392,747 times
New Orleans - that's a given

Any small town in MS for reasons that would take years to explain

Anywhere in CA - too liberal

Anywhere in NE or KS - too conservative
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 09:00 AM

399 posts, read 1,073,646 times
Of course I never thought I would live in Milwaukee, but here I am. I would never live in:

NYC
LA
Anywhere in NJ except the Princeton area
New Orleans
Alabama, Arkansas or Mississippi
West Virginia
Miami
Oklahoma
North and South Dakota
Los Vegas
Salt Lake City(chance to be transfered there and would not be happy if it happens)
Anywhere in Wisconsin beside Milwaukee and Madison areas.
Washington DC

Would like to live:
Portland, Oregon
Portland, Maine
Seatle, Washington
Raleigh, NC
Boulder, Colorado
Columbus, Ohio(loved living there)
Burlington, Vermont
Manchester, New Hampshire

Old 06-20-2007, 09:11 AM

3,073 posts, read 8,138,261 times
What's the big idea with New Orleans?

Old 06-20-2007, 09:54 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,161,766 times
New Orleans has too many problems. It has a very third world feel to it. The local government, police force, and school board are mismanaged and corrupt. The level of poverty, racism, and classism is tangible. A high number of the population is barely literate and undereducated, which is a shame considering they've got quite a few universities there and in nearby Baton Rouge. City services suck. Too much violent crime, and it's not confined to certain areas like it might be in some cities, but all over. There's a lot of inexplicable blight in touristy areas near the French Quarter and CBD. The pace is way too slow; it's hard to get stuff done in this city. They don't call it the Big Easy for nothing! That was my experience living there pre-Katrina. I went to college there. The music, food, and people are outstanding though. It just has too many issues. Really falls into the "nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there (ever ever ever again)" category.

Last edited by neotextist; 06-20-2007 at 10:07 AM..

Old 06-20-2007, 11:52 AM

442 posts, read 1,392,747 times
Right on, houstoner. New Orleans has just too many problems, and Katrina compounded it even more. Don't forget the humidity. My gosh!!!!

Old 06-20-2007, 12:08 PM

3,073 posts, read 8,138,261 times
True, but what about the beautiful people and the rich culture.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:44 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,161,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBlue View Post
Right on, houstoner. New Orleans has just too many problems, and Katrina compounded it even more. Don't forget the humidity. My gosh!!!!
Hello? I'm from Houston. I barely noticed the humidity!

Old 06-20-2007, 07:42 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,288,481 times
I could probably be content, though not always thrilled, living in a lot of cities in the US. Climate is not a big problem for me, though I favor colder places. Some places where I probably would not want to live include:

* non-metro Alaska
* non-metro N. and S. Dakota
* Utah (I've visited)
* some communities in the Bible Belt
* most retirement communities in Florida

I've lived in these places:

* Palo Alto, CA
* Berkeley, CA
* Princeton, NJ
* Palm Coast, FL
* Columbus, OH
* Buffalo, NY
* Montevallo, AL (near Birmingham)
* Chicago, IL
* Milwaukee, WI
* Madrid, Spain

All of these places were at least good, if not great, with the exception of Montevallo and Palm Coast. Montevallo is too Deep South for me, though I would be happy to live in other areas in the Birmingham metro. Palm Coast is a retirement city gone awry with development. If my father didn't live there, I would have nothing to do with it. If I had to live in that part of the state, I would choose Flagler Beach or Saint Augustine.

I've loved everywhere else I've lived, for different reasons. Columbus is a fantastic city, as is Milwaukee. I'm disappointed that so many people wouldn't live in Buffalo, though. It's not a very prosperous city, but it's a really great place to live if you have a steady job. The winters can be rough, but it's worse in many other cities. Buffalo is a really attractive city with a lot of cultural opportunities, especially in theater, music, and ethnic restaurants. I would have stayed if I could have--and yes, this is coming from a guy who grew up in the SF Bay Area!

Old 06-20-2007, 07:53 PM

95 posts, read 834,910 times
I visited Birmingham and Montevallo back in the spring. I toured the American Village in Montevallo and the people were very nice. Why were you living there? Job?

Old 06-20-2007, 08:14 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,288,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobigred View Post
I visited Birmingham and Montevallo back in the spring. I toured the American Village in Montevallo and the people were very nice. Why were you living there? Job?
Yes, I worked at the U of Montevallo. In the grand scheme of things, not the worst place to be, but the town shuts down during the weekends (not that there's much going on during the week), and people were constantly being nosy and pushy about religion. Not my kind of scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.