U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 06-26-2007, 11:43 AM

16 posts, read 38,671 times
Would live in:
Portland (oregon and maine)
Seattle
San Fran
Boston
Denver
Providence
Chicago
Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill
Asheville
Minneapolis

Not a chance in Hell:
Miami
LA
Anywhere in New Jersey, Kentucky, Indiana
Cincinatti
Arizona
Atlanta
DC
Charlotte
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-26-2007, 12:43 PM

24,087 posts, read 19,055,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rando View Post
Would live in:
Portland (oregon and maine)
Seattle
San Fran
Boston
Denver
Providence
Chicago
Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill
Asheville
Minneapolis

Not a chance in Hell:
Miami
LA
Anywhere in New Jersey, Kentucky, Indiana
Cincinatti
Arizona
Atlanta
DC
Charlotte
I don't blame you for not wanting to live in Atlanta, Cincinnati, or LA. I have only been through Cincinnati. After the 2001 problem, Cincinnati doesn't seem like a nice place. LA is just too violent, too polluted and too sprawled for its own good.. Atlanta is just a copy-cat of LA in training. I should know. I live in the metro Atlanta area and I plan to leave Atlanta after college.

Unread 06-26-2007, 03:17 PM

64 posts, read 105,841 times
Cities I would love to live in

Washington D.C.
Atlanta
Baltimore
Harlem
Detroit
Dallas
Columbus
Memphis
Houston
Nashville

Cities I would never live in

All New England states, ME, NH, VT, RI, MA
Salt Lake
Vidor, Tx
Covington, GA
Boise
Birmingham
All of upstate New York
All of Wisconsin
Both Dakotas
All of Oregon

Unread 06-27-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejuan2 View Post
Cities I would love to live in

Washington D.C.
Atlanta
Baltimore
Harlem
Detroit
Dallas
Columbus
Memphis
Houston
Nashville

Cities I would never live in

All New England states, ME, NH, VT, RI, MA
Salt Lake
Vidor, Tx
Covington, GA
Boise
Birmingham
All of upstate New York
All of Wisconsin
Both Dakotas
All of Oregon
Why are most of the cities you like in the South? Just curious.
DC doesn't sound so bad. Dallas,TX is good too, but I question Atlanta, Nashville or Memphis.

Unread 06-27-2007, 11:29 AM

64 posts, read 105,841 times
Why do you question Atlanta? Atlanta is a great city and there is more to do here than just "clubs" as I am referring to one of your earlier post. Most of my preferred cities are in the south because these southern cities have a track record for political, social, and economic advancement for African Americans. I question your desire to want to relocate to areas that have few African Americans being that you are black. This website is a good source for information but the racial tones on this site get on my nerves and it is especially irritating to hear another black person trash places where blacks have been successful and want to relocate to other areas. In an earlier post you characterized yourself as not sharing typical black interest but who are you to define what is typical for black people. It's funny that many of the respondents on this particular topic would never live in cities that have a population of minorities but to each his own.

Unread 06-27-2007, 03:30 PM

184 posts, read 579,280 times
NO!!
Los Angles-Too dirty
Las Vegas- Only nice for visit
New Orleans- Maybe another time
Anywhere in Florida- AHH!! HURRICANES!
Anywhere in Wyoming- TOO SMALL
Chicago- Cold winters and dirty
Phoenix- Cook eggs on the sidewalk, too hot
Anywhere in the Dakotas- Cold and empty
Detroit- Obviously i'm not alone, this city has lost half its pop. since 1950
Birmingham- Not what I want
Anywhere in Alaska- Too cold and mostly isolated
Philiadelphia- Visited, too different from my ways
Most Tiny towns- I'm a big city person

YES!!
San Diego- Has it's problems, but has imroved greatly
Seattle- Clean, good except for traffic
Denver- Love the outdoor feeling
Portland- Simmilar to Seattle
Most other fair-sized cities are so-so

Unread 06-27-2007, 04:50 PM

3,073 posts, read 8,092,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I don't blame you for not wanting to live in Atlanta, Cincinnati, or LA. I have only been through Cincinnati. After the 2001 problem, Cincinnati doesn't seem like a nice place. LA is just too violent, too polluted and too sprawled for its own good.. Atlanta is just a copy-cat of LA in training. I should know. I live in the metro Atlanta area and I plan to leave Atlanta after college.
Atlanta and Los Angeles? Really? Those are two cities I can't imagine comparing.

Unread 06-27-2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejuan2 View Post
Why do you question Atlanta? Atlanta is a great city and there is more to do here than just "clubs" as I am referring to one of your earlier post. Most of my preferred cities are in the south because these southern cities have a track record for political, social, and economic advancement for African Americans. I question your desire to want to relocate to areas that have few African Americans being that you are black. This website is a good source for information but the racial tones on this site get on my nerves and it is especially irritating to hear another black person trash places where blacks have been successful and want to relocate to other areas. In an earlier post you characterized yourself as not sharing typical black interest but who are you to define what is typical for black people. It's funny that many of the respondents on this particular topic would never live in cities that have a population of minorities but to each his own.
I have lived in the metro Atlanta area for at least a decade and for me, at least, it is a hard city to live in. I have had problems here myself and I think about the places where I didn't have many problems. Actually, Dallas,TX is a good place to live. I went there myself. I used to live in Texas myself. Perhaps I am wrong. Perhaps it is just me, but I have had some problems in the metro Atlanta area. Then again, I'm only 21. Perhaps you found something that I don't see.

Unread 06-27-2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Atlanta and Los Angeles? Really? Those are two cities I can't imagine comparing.
I can. I know LA is too sprawled out and is very polluted. Atlanta is the same way. Life is hard for someone without a car in either city.

Unread 06-27-2007, 08:49 PM

3,073 posts, read 8,092,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I can. I know LA is too sprawled out and is very polluted. Atlanta is the same way. Life is hard for someone without a car in either city.
Why do people always use sprawl and pollution as reasons to say that any two cities are very similar when it's obvious that Los Angeles and Atlanta are worlds apart in many ways?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.