U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-17-2007, 08:06 PM

81 posts, read 215,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
Why don't some people like Indianapolis?
Oh come on man...Of all people you hate it the most!

Personally I don't see why Indy gets such a bad rap on here. I lived there for fifteen years and LOVED it. It may not the "densest" or most appealing to city geeks but it is certainly underrated and if anyone takes the time to actually explore it they would be pleasantly surprised. This coming from a native Chicagoan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 09:21 PM

535 posts, read 1,696,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefaultAlias View Post
Oh come on man...Of all people you hate it the most!

Personally I don't see why Indy gets such a bad rap on here. I lived there for fifteen years and LOVED it. It may not the "densest" or most appealing to city geeks but it is certainly underrated and if anyone takes the time to actually explore it they would be pleasantly surprised. This coming from a native Chicagoan.
Agreed! I was born in Indy but lived in the suburbs.. but it was still great none the less! I remember going with my grandmother downtown to Circle Centre just about every day. . . But there's plenty to do besides shopping. Also, it's a great city close to a lot of other great cities (St. Louis, Chicago, Columbus, Cincinnati, Milwaukee, etc). Sure, it doesn't have light rail (yet) or a decent public transportation system (yet) but the city is definately improving, despite a recent surge in crime. However, it's not only in Indy; it's happening in a lot of cities around the country.

Some cities I wouldn't live in:
1) Gary, Indiana (too much urban decay.. it could really be a great coastal suburb of Chicago if the city cleaned up it's image and removed all of the steel plants.)
2) Detroit, Michigan (I like VISITING.. but I couldn't live in the city itself. It has great potential, and hopefully in the next 5-20 years it will put it's great location to use.)
Other than that.. I can't really think of any. I'll give any city a chance before I say I wouldn't live there

I do have a LOT of cities I would love to live in though lol
1) Seattle, Washington (It looks like such a great city with a great vibe, and very clean)
2) New York, New York (Although the city itself is very old, there's so much always going on there! I think it would be impossible to be bored.)
3) Atlanta, Georgia (They have some great malls, and I get the vibe that it's a city that's divided by economics more than race.)
4) Indianapolis, Indiana (Almost everyone is always friendly, and it's a great city with great potential)
5) San Francisco/Silicon Valley/San Jose area, California (It may be extremely expensive, but I love technology.)
6) San Diego, California (Such a laid back feel, a great football team, but I would like the city more if they had a basketball team too lol :] )
7) Baltimore-Washington Metroplex (Most of my family lives in the Baltimore area, so it's always good to visit them. DC because, in my opinion, it's a great city)
8) Dallas, Texas (I just had a great time the two times I went. Some people may have been a little borish, but overall there was plenty to do, and the malls were cool. I partially like the mavericks as well )
9) Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (I would love to have an authentic cheese steak. Haha and besides that the city has great history, and it's close to other major cities.
10) Honolulu, Hawaii (Pretty far away, but the weather and beaches seem almost perfect.)

I could go on, but I'll stop there.

ps; has anyone noticed how of America's less appealing cities are located close to Canada? I've always wondered if it gives them a bad impression of our great country (I'm thinking of Niagra Falls, NY and Detroit, MI specifically)

Old 06-17-2007, 11:17 PM

750 posts, read 1,929,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmann101 View Post
Cities I would "NEVER" live in:

Kansas City
Tulsa
Oklahoma City
New York (I'd like to visit there though)
New Mexico
Las Vegas
Miami
Phoenix
New Orleans

and many other places bt those are my main ones.
This just in... New Mexico is technically what we like to call a "state", not a city. Please make a note of it.

Chap

Old 06-18-2007, 12:57 AM

332 posts, read 29,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaparral View Post
This just in... New Mexico is technically what we like to call a "state", not a city. Please make a note of it.

Chap
I know it's a state I just didn't put state next to it, but pretty much what I was saying was I wouldn't want to move to New Mexico period.

Sorry for the confusion

Old 06-18-2007, 07:47 AM

11,642 posts, read 20,837,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Please excuse yourself. Don't imply things that are not really there. Nobody said anything about Houston, or comparing it to New York, or any nonsense like that. I was simply using a common example to support what I was talking about. You made an incorrect generalization so I explained how you were wrong.

Anyway everybody, we need to get back to the original subject at hand. Because when that user made that comment it made us fall off topic.
oh stop and GMAB. you always need the last word. lots of times when you get called on something, you cry off-topic - and I was being lighthearted so calm down. i was merely responding to madman when he asked a question to which you needed to jump in, go yell at him for being OT. it takes two to tango.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:27 AM

791 posts, read 2,224,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post

ps; has anyone noticed how of America's less appealing cities are located close to Canada? I've always wondered if it gives them a bad impression of our great country (I'm thinking of Niagra Falls, NY and Detroit, MI specifically)
I think it more a Lake Ontario "thing" than the whole country. How about Burlington, Vermont or Bellingham, Washington for example?

Old 06-18-2007, 08:29 AM

3,073 posts, read 8,341,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
oh stop and GMAB. you always need the last word. lots of times when you get called on something, you cry off-topic - and I was being lighthearted so calm down. i was merely responding to madman when he asked a question to which you needed to jump in, go yell at him for being OT. it takes two to tango.
I "cry" off-topic because I noticed that it was off topic. I could care less whether or not you were being lighthearted, what you said was not necessary.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:53 AM

791 posts, read 2,224,949 times
Indianapolis...yes spent several years living there and I personally think the truth lies somewhere in the middle: I remember many Chicago residents who were always so quick to dismiss the place. I don't consider it a "hell-hole" as some do, but nor a fantastic place to live either that can come close to competing w/ Chicago.
Water activites do exist contrary to some's beliefs. Eagle Creek? White River? Ok it is no Lake Michigan, no Lake Winipisaukee, etc... Algae abounds and they aren't "rec-hubs" by any means, but I can name thousands of cities across the country that aren't any better.
The reason I couldn't live in Indy again though is the lack of proximity to legitimate ski venues (not a few hills they actually advertise I believe it was Lawrence County) and mountains, not to mention the ocean and major lakes. Where as if your stuck in Hartford, CT (a place oft times I've heard compared to Indy) or Worcester, Mass., at least endless outdoor recreation opportunities abound within two hours. I personally spoke to many Indianapolis residents who do nothing on a hot summer weekend other than shop and go to the mall. For the cold weather months, I could comprehend it. In the summer, I'd rather eat the business end of a shotgun, thank you very much. I have relatives who with their upbringing were always part of the "uppity" variety who think shopping begins and ends either in Beverly Hills or 5th Avenue. They commented during their visits to Indy, how much they enjoyed the shopping, particularly at Keystone Crossing.
Social scene? I witnessed the various transitional phases. I watched downtown Indianapolis go from vibrant in the early 90's (as much as it only really entailed about 4 blocks) to an absolute morgue in the mid 90's to a far more vibrant hub once Circle Centre Mall was completed. Still the area lacks much creativity and it hasn't created a boom in residential migration. Public transportation is poor. But it is perfect for a tourist's weekend stroll-around when it hosts events like the Final 4. Indianapolis is the PERFECT host for such a huge event.
Probably the reason I ultimately give Indy a "thumbs down" is what I've seen become of Broad Ripple. Once upon a time it was a great arts area- still some great dining options and a pretty area along the canal to walk, run or bike on a nice day. But the nightlife there mostly has become a joke. There were some great live musical acts, some great underground music...now it is yuppie haven- reminds me of a smaller version of Atlanta's Buckhead neighborhood. Ironically in the early 90's long before Indy became more reknowned, would have been the era I would given Indy a mild "thumbs up". Now that there is no true Broad Ripple as it once stood, I can't get enthused about the city.
In summary, alot of "yeah buts"....no where I want to be again (especially if you like the outdoors)...but you could still do alot worse, believe me.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:21 AM

46 posts, read 75,514 times
There are some great cities not given their due....Fort Collins/Loveland Co, Grand Junction CO, Reno/Sparks NV, Wilmington NC, Pensacola Beach/Destin FL ; far too many to mention...ain't this a great country...all depends on one's personal preferences which are obviously very diverse...

Old 06-20-2007, 08:42 AM

1,418 posts, read 4,934,643 times
Wouldn't live in.....

New Orleans - High crime, hurricane prone, too hot/humid/rainy, depressed economy.

San Francisco - Too expensive, not politically diverse.

Anchorage, AK - the whole 24 hrs. of daylight/24 hrs. of darkness thing would kill me.

Other than where I live, places I like.....

Denver - Beautiful scenery, lots to do, still faily affordable, good economy.

Asheville - Super 4-season climate, stunning beauty, very laid-back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.