U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 10:51 PM

9,423 posts, read 18,320,690 times

Advertisements

I love Colorado and have tossed around the idea of moving to Denver Metro at some point in time. Rather than open a thread to hear the locals point of view, I'd like an outside one.

Have you been to Denver? What do you think of it's neighborhoods, suburbs, politics, public transit,parks, etc. I love the mile high city. Even if you haven't been there what do you think of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 11:44 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,796,055 times
I though it was nice but was surprised how barren it felt to me compared to the Southeast. The nightlife was fine and the city felt clean and progressive.
My biggest complaint was the air. My nose bled the entire week I was there and the lack of humidity made my eyes and lungs hurt.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:01 AM

4,552 posts, read 13,453,515 times
it was flatter than I expected but Denver seems to have it all together, they have a good thing going for them ,the city seems to be clean and progressive, I give the city of Denver props, I might not agree with the politics so much but it dosent matter, Denver is impressive for a city its size, and Denver has a nice downtown.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:38 AM

5,721 posts, read 9,086,134 times
It is one of my favorite cities in the USA. Great outdoor recreation at your doorstep, clean air once you get away from the Front Range and plenty of sunshine. The lack of humidity during the Summer is also a plus. People are cordial and friendly and seem to be very happy to live there.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:31 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,502,634 times
Not a big fan of Denver. It does have the "new & shiny" appeal to it, but I found a lot of the development to feel...fake. Neighborhoods like Cherry Creek were very nice. However, if you go to the new major developments it seems like if you were to open the front door to the house, it would be like walking through a Hollywood set. Kind of like the false town of Rock Ridge at the end of Blazing Saddles. This may be in part to the fact that Denver is so damn empty.

Denver has massive developments, both residential and office/retail, which have been built to prepare the city for a massive influx of population. The only problem? The people aren't coming. Denver feels outrageously empty if you're not in downtown. Much of the landscape can be bleak in areas near Commerce City and even near the newer developments like Stapleton.

Denver does have a nice downtown though. The 15th Street Mall is very nice. It's pedestrian friendly, architecturally pleasing, and often bustling. The sports facilities are very nice, and the town overall seems to love their teams...except for maybe the Rockies haha. The people in Denver seemed to be very nice.

The fact that Denver has no major cities anywhere remotely near it creates a feeling of isolation. The isolated feeling in Denver is magnified by having its back against a wall to the West(Rocky Mountains) and an empty room to the East, North, South (Great Plaines). Add in the empty developments I mentioned earlier and it can be a bit depressing.

It's almost like the bizarro-Detroit in terms of why it's empty. Detroit is a shadow of its former self with development being abandoned because the city lost its way. Denver is a city that never happened, with new developments standing empty waiting for a consumer that no longer exists.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:35 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,189,622 times
I haven't been there, but would really like to. It's on my short list of places to live for a couple of years or so. It kind of seems like where I'm from, because of the geography only about four times the size, so I'd like to check it out. Of course, all that congestion can also be a huge negative for me.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:19 PM

1,588 posts, read 3,561,691 times
Denver is great. One of my favorite US cities.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:36 PM

404 posts, read 910,044 times
I've only seen it from the air a couple of times. It definitely looks like a top-notch place!

BTW, the airport is bomb! I guess I shouldn't use those two words in the same sentence though. Heh.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:20 PM

13,236 posts, read 24,412,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Not a big fan of Denver. It does have the "new & shiny" appeal to it, but I found a lot of the development to feel...fake. Neighborhoods like Cherry Creek were very nice. However, if you go to the new major developments it seems like if you were to open the front door to the house, it would be like walking through a Hollywood set. Kind of like the false town of Rock Ridge at the end of Blazing Saddles. This may be in part to the fact that Denver is so damn empty.

Denver has massive developments, both residential and office/retail, which have been built to prepare the city for a massive influx of population. The only problem? The people aren't coming. Denver feels outrageously empty if you're not in downtown. Much of the landscape can be bleak in areas near Commerce City and even near the newer developments like Stapleton.

Denver does have a nice downtown though. The 15th Street Mall is very nice. It's pedestrian friendly, architecturally pleasing, and often bustling. The sports facilities are very nice, and the town overall seems to love their teams...except for maybe the Rockies haha. The people in Denver seemed to be very nice.

The fact that Denver has no major cities anywhere remotely near it creates a feeling of isolation. The isolated feeling in Denver is magnified by having its back against a wall to the West(Rocky Mountains) and an empty room to the East, North, South (Great Plaines). Add in the empty developments I mentioned earlier and it can be a bit depressing.

It's almost like the bizarro-Detroit in terms of why it's empty. Detroit is a shadow of its former self with development being abandoned because the city lost its way. Denver is a city that never happened, with new developments standing empty waiting for a consumer that no longer exists.
I'd love to see where all of these empty developments are, because I haven't stumbled upon a single one in my time here. I honestly don't know how you could come to these conclusions (regarding Denver being "empty" and having "never happened").

The Rockies have a huge fan base....well, at least since the 2007 run.

The "isolation" only seems to come from people from the East, and/or if you need a big city every 60 miles.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:02 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,724,856 times
I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico which is the next major city to the south from Denver, a good 7 hour drive on a major interstate. I understand what is meant by isolation.

My impression of Denver is that it is clean, progressive, and fairly 'middle-America' but with some big city amenities. You could do worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.