U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2007, 08:47 AM

786 posts, read 4,324,390 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember the good old days when America was not so crowded. The rush hour was usually only 60 minutes, the stores and restaurants were not crowded, real estate was cheap so people could live on big lots with trees? America was a simpler more gentle place when there was not so many people. Our Cities and towns are getting so crowded. Even the suburbs are full of high rises and areas where lots of people are crowded into a small area.

Would America be a better place if the population was half what it is today. Like it was in the 1950s. Or should we continue to push for increasing population by promoting large families and lots of immigrants?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 09:09 AM

5,130 posts, read 10,271,410 times
Less population is better. If we continue down the road we are going, with the same or increased energy consumption, we are doomed. The Earth won't be able to support growing populations with increased consumption of energy and goods, there will be more wars over resources... oil, water etc. Just wait for India, China etc. to start using energy and resources the way the typical person in the US does....
According to the American Lung Assoc. already 50 % of the people in the US are breathing unhealthy air. Asthma is on the rise ...
Living on large lots with trees would be great, but in cities it contributes to sprawl, which in turn contributes to more traffic and worse air... a vicious cycle. No easy answers.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:12 AM

942 posts, read 1,070,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Less population is better. If we continue down the road we are going, with the same or increased energy consumption, we are doomed. The Earth won't be able to support growing populations with increased consumption of energy and goods, there will be more wars over resources... oil, water etc. Just wait for India, China etc. to start using energy and resources the way the typical person in the US does....
According to the American Lung Assoc. already 50 % of the people in the US are breathing unhealthy air. Asthma is on the rise ...
Living on large lots with trees would be great, but in cities it contributes to sprawl, which in turn contributes to more traffic and worse air... a vicious cycle. No easy answers.
I agree, all of this will eventually destroy us, Its all right in front of our eyes now. Yes just wait for China and India to run low on energy reserves, that is definitely the war I don't want to be around for. I find nothing much is done about any of it. Sort of like someone running up credit cards way beyond their capacity to ever pay them off and knowing they are headed for bankruptcy. The worlds bankruptcy will be when the oil and water have run out, and I fear it is coming alot sooner than we might expect. I really fear for our grandchildrens future in this world.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:14 AM

792 posts, read 2,905,625 times
One more reason I support adamantly the candidacy of Tom Tancredo. Yes I believe we would close our borders completely for at least some sort of duration (especially since the government can't prevent the flow of illegals anyhow). Tancredo also recognizes that solving this dilemma is the ebst manner to tackle alot of environmental concerns. Overpopulation from a NATIONAL (not global) perspective to which I speak is a huge problem, even if the John Stossels of the world deny it. This isn't just about the fact that our population density is much less than Japan's. This isn't just about the fact that perhaps indeed the food supply chain is not dire and water supply is ample. This is not just about the idea that we have vast undeveloped land in certain sections of the country. This is not just about the argument that we may be hindering the birth of the next great literrary figure or scientest that finds the cure for cancer (a downright bizarre and shallow rationale as any). And yes, I'm well aware that the average couple is having less children today. But note, the difference in terms of wedlock and less educated folks requiring government assistance and the fact we now have more couples today than before the baby boom phenomenom.
Smog, air pollution, the ever increasing welfare state, quality of life...how many more sardines are you willing to pack into a can in plenty of metropolitans around the country like DC, NY, Chicago, LA, Phoenix,etc...? Even in smaller towns that aren't adapted and financially structured to feasibly handle a plethora of new infrastructure, transportation and communication systems, the crisis already at hand will only proliferate.
It is going to take alot more than tax breaks, government incentives to get people to move and/or invest capital in sparsely populated regions that still exist in the U.S and cause a dramatic population shift. That's like asking a private investor to build low income housing. It will take government ENFORCEMENT and a radically socialized nation- not just the Chinese method of a one child/family quota, but perhaps even a mandate as to where you can reside in the nation to change what is happening. Scary thought? Well I for one prefer the alternative of not only enforcing our borders, but dwindling the numbers annually that are allowed legally.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:26 AM

673 posts, read 3,756,298 times
I live in Nebraska now and plan on moving, I was planning on moving a few weeks ago but havent moved yet. Anyway, I love crowds and I will never take crowds for granted again after living in Nebraska.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:32 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,883,404 times
The air has actually gotten better since the 1970s.

If we're able to figure out how to wean ourselves off foreign oil, then we'll be okay as long as the population growth levels off.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:25 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,892,848 times
It is not a question if whether the world (and U.S.) population will eventually decline, probably back to levels not seen in nearly a century, but rather when and how. The pundits who believe that population increase is inevitable (and even desirable) ignore the fact that the last hundred years of population growth has literally been fueled by oil, and that era is now about to end. (Few people talk about or realize how much of our food supply is totally dependent on the burning of fossil fuels to produce.) So, we, as a population of this country and as a species, can either act to reduce our birthrates (and, in the case of the U.S., put an end to illegal immigration), or Mother Nature will increase the death rates to reduce the population to sustainable levels. Personally, I would favor the former over the latter. With regards to population growth, there never was a "free lunch"--the present population has just eaten the future generation's seed corn, so to speak.

To answer the question of the post, I would much rather live a world with half the present population. I can see little positive that the doubling of the population is done for me.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:49 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,039,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
I agree, all of this will eventually destroy us, Its all right in front of our eyes now. Yes just wait for China and India to run low on energy reserves, that is definitely the war I don't want to be around for. I find nothing much is done about any of it. Sort of like someone running up credit cards way beyond their capacity to ever pay them off and knowing they are headed for bankruptcy. The worlds bankruptcy will be when the oil and water have run out, and I fear it is coming alot sooner than we might expect. I really fear for our grandchildrens future in this world.
it's funny/scary how a very american, at least, tendency for immediate gratification, consumption, and debt pans out in so many much larger ways.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:36 PM

2,197 posts, read 4,209,173 times
I very much agree that from an ecological/environmental standpoint, and in terms of competition for resources, it is not healthy for the US population to grow as it is growing. It should be noted, though, that most of the growth is through immigration, and not so much through birth rates in the native population.

One of the few advantages to high population growth in the U.S. is that it is one of the few ways to keep social security and medicaid/medicare viable. More workers on the payroll means more solvency for these funds, but of course, that means the workers of today will need more workers tomorrow for *their* social security.

On balance, this country and the entire world would be better with far fewer people and far lower birth rates. We're destroying the planet in many different ways, and the overall global quality of life for humans is not getting much better.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:40 PM

253 posts, read 1,624,298 times
Simple solution: stop making babies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or