U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What is your favorite New England state?
Maine 23 17.56%
New Hampshire 22 16.79%
Vermont 21 16.03%
Massachusetts 38 29.01%
Rhode Island 11 8.40%
Connecticut 16 12.21%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 10:14 PM

7,424 posts, read 8,159,737 times

Advertisements

What is your favorite New England state? Sure rivalries exist within the region but keep it fun and try to keep trolling to a minimum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 10:17 PM

Maine

New Hampshire

Vermont

Massachusetts

Rhode Island

Connecticut

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 05-03-2010 at 10:41 PM..

Old 05-03-2010, 10:58 PM

2,934 posts, read 2,933,610 times
Maine

Old 05-04-2010, 05:39 AM

2,266 posts, read 4,340,386 times
This same question was asked in a thread in 2008, and here's what I responded then:

"Always a hard choice. I think I have to go with New Hampshire, but all of the states have their pros. New Hampshire is great because of its "central" location, with easy access to all of the other NE states and Canada. It also has the highest and most impressive mountains in the region, as well as a (small) Atlantic coastline only an hour and a half from the mountains. I also love the ruralness of the state, although we do have a decent number of small cities (my favourite being Portsmouth). I also love colonial architecture, and while southern New England has more, NH has more surviving colonial architecture than VT and ME.

To top things off, the "live free or die" libertarian mentality and the consistently high rankings in liveability, safety, health, and education (although all the NE states tend to do pretty well in these areas).

Maine is also a favourite because of the tranquility one can find there unlike anywhere else in New England. And the coast is absolutely beautiful. The smell of pine trees, ocean water, and blueberries in the summer time is just sublime.

Vermont is also gorgeous, and overall I'd say it's actually the most scenic in the sense that pretty much every road you drive on is going to offer you stunning views. The ruralness of the state and all the idyllic pastureland remind you of how the rest of New England looked like not so long ago.

Massachusetts of course has Boston, the best city in the country, IMHO. The amount of surviving colonial architecture (which I find very aesthetically pleasing) in MA is just mind-boggling, and the state is a paradise for history-lovers. And even better, MA has a varied landscape, from the beautiful Berkshires to the agricultural Pioneer Valley and the sandy beaches of the Cape and islands.

Rhode Island has two of the most charming colonial cities in New England, Providence and Newport (TONS of colonial architecture!), which today are very lively places. But the best thing about the state is the omnipresence of the ocean, never being too far away, and IMO some of the best beaches in New England (with fairly warm water!). RI is also interesting in that the eastern half of the state is rather densely-populated while the western half is pretty rural. Provides a nice balance in a small state.

Connecticut is sometimes considered the "black sheep" of New England due to the influence of expanding NYC suburbs in the southwestern part of the state, and a sort of culture clash I suppose. But the eastern half of the state is quintessentially New England and really beautiful. I think some people don't realize how rural much of CT is."

Old 05-06-2010, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
Connecticut is sometimes considered the "black sheep" of New England due to the influence of expanding NYC suburbs in the southwestern part of the state, and a sort of culture clash I suppose. But the eastern half of the state is quintessentially New England and really beautiful. I think some people don't realize how rural much of CT is."
Black sheep would be a nice way of putting it. CT certainly gets no love in this poll

Old 05-06-2010, 07:24 AM

10,180 posts, read 4,957,401 times
Massachusetts has always been one of my favorite states.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:59 AM

5,262 posts, read 7,668,656 times
The smallest state.
Poor CT, the state never catches a break. (Besides NY/NJ, I've been to CT more than any other state)

Last edited by BPerone201; 05-06-2010 at 08:08 AM..

Old 05-08-2010, 09:51 AM

27,651 posts, read 21,530,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
This same question was asked in a thread in 2008, and here's what I responded then:

"Always a hard choice. I think I have to go with New Hampshire, but all of the states have their pros. New Hampshire is great because of its "central" location, with easy access to all of the other NE states and Canada. It also has the highest and most impressive mountains in the region, as well as a (small) Atlantic coastline only an hour and a half from the mountains. I also love the ruralness of the state, although we do have a decent number of small cities (my favourite being Portsmouth). I also love colonial architecture, and while southern New England has more, NH has more surviving colonial architecture than VT and ME.

To top things off, the "live free or die" libertarian mentality and the consistently high rankings in liveability, safety, health, and education (although all the NE states tend to do pretty well in these areas).

Maine is also a favourite because of the tranquility one can find there unlike anywhere else in New England. And the coast is absolutely beautiful. The smell of pine trees, ocean water, and blueberries in the summer time is just sublime.

Vermont is also gorgeous, and overall I'd say it's actually the most scenic in the sense that pretty much every road you drive on is going to offer you stunning views. The ruralness of the state and all the idyllic pastureland remind you of how the rest of New England looked like not so long ago.

Massachusetts of course has Boston, the best city in the country, IMHO. The amount of surviving colonial architecture (which I find very aesthetically pleasing) in MA is just mind-boggling, and the state is a paradise for history-lovers. And even better, MA has a varied landscape, from the beautiful Berkshires to the agricultural Pioneer Valley and the sandy beaches of the Cape and islands.

Rhode Island has two of the most charming colonial cities in New England, Providence and Newport (TONS of colonial architecture!), which today are very lively places. But the best thing about the state is the omnipresence of the ocean, never being too far away, and IMO some of the best beaches in New England (with fairly warm water!). RI is also interesting in that the eastern half of the state is rather densely-populated while the western half is pretty rural. Provides a nice balance in a small state.

I picked Maine in the poll, but I agree with this poster--it's a hard choice. I was in Connecticut overnight a few months ago and thought about how that might be a nice place to go when I retire (will likely not go south from NJ, but either to New England or upstate New York.) Yes, there are some beautiful rural areas in CT, yet the cities are not too far away!

I've been to Providence for Waterfire--loved that.

I just love the rocky coast of Maine--and the smell in the air, as someone said, and the woods.

NH I've visited once, and Vermont I've never been to.

MA has everything, the coast, a city, the mountains.

And they all have plenty of history, which I also love.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:55 AM

27,651 posts, read 21,530,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Maine

New Hampshire

Vermont

Massachusetts

Rhode Island

Connecticut

I could be happy looking at a scene like that last photo every day.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:13 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,917,095 times
Mighty Queen, that last photo is of Mystic Seaport in Mystic, Connecticut. It's a museum/attraction like Colonial Williamsburg in Virigina except that it focuses on replicating 1850's whaling community instead of a 1750's colonial town.

Mystic Seaport is on the east banks of the Mystic River, with residential housing on the west bank of the river. So if you really wanted to see that view from your back yard, it's possible - but probably expensive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.