Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 06:15 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,846,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA7cities View Post
Spoon Bread is like, well, bread you can eat with a spoon.... LOL!

No but seriously, think of like a very soft sweet and buttery cornbread. Almost like a pudding.

Mmm, that sounds good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 06:17 PM

Any transplanted NYers in other states want to chime in about how the food is compared to at home?

There was one guy who posted in the NYC forum who moved to Atlanta, and said that the bagels taste like dry rolls with holes in them, lol. They also said the pizza is always soggy and unflavorful, and the chinese is barely eatable, lol.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:27 PM

466 posts, read 978,061 times
Chicago and NYC can argue over their hot dogs all they want, but they aren't close to the best. I'll take western and central NY's hot dogs any day. Each metro (Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse) has their own dominant hot dog. Buffalo has Sahlen's, Rochester has Zweigles and Syracuse has Hoffmans. And they are all excellent and better than Chicago or NYC hot dogs.

I would also add that my general area of western NY has better wings than the rest of the country.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:18 PM

793 posts, read 1,445,880 times
For Boston:

Portuguese Food. I've spent a good amount of time in Lisbon and the Azores and other than Boston (New England as a whole-especially the South Shore) only Toronto has a comparable selection of Portuguese food that rivals that of Portugal.

Cape Verdean food is another one, considering basically the only CV communities of any size in North America are in New England it is the only place in the country you can find authentic Cape Verdean cuisine.

I also live part time in Istanbul, and let me tell you I used to have my favorite Turkish restaurants (in NYC especially) but after spending so much time here I wont be able to view them the same once I return to Boston full time. Name it Kayak, Doner, Simit, Fresh Ayran, Lahmacun, Borek, Baklava, etc... its tough to find the same quality outside of Istanbul.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:37 PM

1,202 posts, read 2,294,781 times
Well... Garbage plates...

Old 05-04-2010, 10:05 PM

648 posts, read 1,612,456 times
It is obvious for New York, so I will name a few less obvious things about it. Russian food. I have been all over places around the country, and every time I try to find a good Russian restaurant it is always a punk teenager from down the street working there. I need to stay in Brighton Beach in Brooklyn for the real Russian cook, Russian waiter, and Russian atmosphere.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:05 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,440,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Mmm, that sounds good.
Sounds like dressing withou seafood to me.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:28 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,759,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
Gyros- anywhere with greek people. there are a looooot in Boston

Hot Dogs- exist everywhere. As far as good ones? I'm sure Chicago-boosters will have something to say.

Delis- are you joking? Where are there not Delis? There are loads of quaaaality delis around here.

Okay. I am sorry for shooting you both down. After thinking about it, it might not be that these foods exist everywhere, but just that Boston and NY have similiar foods. But seriously, you cannot have a monopoly on extremely basic foods that are enjoyed all over the country.
Oook
I just feel like these types of foods are more widespread in the NYC area. There's a lot of competition among the food so your sure to find excellent meals.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Well... Garbage plates...

I went to Rochester for a hockey tournament when I was a teenager. I wish I had known about the special dishes in each city I played in growing up, I would have loved to try that. Sounds interesting.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:35 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,391,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
Ahhh jeez, the old "New York has the best pizza and bagels" game.

You can get excellent pizza and bagels in Boston.

Montreal is very known for their bagels.

You can get cannolis anywhere with an italian population. Go to Mike's Pastry's in the North End of Boston, I can'T imagine too many places can beat them, in NYC or anywhere.

Black and Whites exist everywhere as far as I know. Well, you can definitely get them in Boston.

Come to think of it, other than bagels, this entire list is just italian-american treats.
the thing is...lots of places have that, but they are not good... I am also often left feeling unsatisfied at many of the foods listed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.