Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 09:36 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,817,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart24 View Post
For Boston:

Portuguese Food. I've spent a good amount of time in Lisbon and the Azores and other than Boston (New England as a whole-especially the South Shore) only Toronto has a comparable selection of Portuguese food that rivals that of Portugal.
Try Newark.
They have a Portugese section (Ironbound) with fantastic Portuguese cuisine. It was a great first impression eating there.. I've looked for potugese joints elsewhere and I've yet found a place that's comparable to the authenticity of Ironbounds Portuguese restaurants.

I went here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 09:41 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Well... Garbage plates...
So are garbage plates usually consumed at 4:00am after a few too many alcoholic beverages?

Old 05-04-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Chicago hot dog > NYC hot dog
Jersey Shore hot dog > NYC & Chicago hot dog

I don't feel like playing pong, it's just my opinon.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:14 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
^^What's that stuff beside the hot dog?

I honestly don't think any hot dog can compare to the real Nathans in Coney Island.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
^^What's that stuff beside the hot dog?

I honestly don't think any hot dog can compare to the real Nathans in Coney Island.
Sliced fried pickles.
gotta try em before you judge em... unless your crazy and you don't like pickles

Old 05-04-2010, 11:16 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,637 times
Quote:
There's a thread on the NYC that's really long about foods people can't find outside the metro area. What about your metro area? As much as people like to believe, when you leave the metro area that food is known for, it really isn't nearly as good.

Here's my list for my metro:

-Bagels and bialys (most people don't seem to know what a bialy is. They're awful outside the area, if they even have them).
-rainbow cookies
-zeppolis and cannolis
-Pizza (well, Chicago metro has good pizza, but other than these 2 metros, it isn't really any good).
-black and whites
-egg creams (no, there's no egg or cream in them)
On the contrary, some of the best pizza I've had was in East Tennessee.

Pizza in Italy was also great, obviously. Ironically, I've heard stories from people in New Jersey and the New York City metro area in New York and Connecticut vacationing in Roma and Firenze and complaining about the pizza.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:17 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
On the contrary, some of the best pizza I've had was in East Tennessee.

Pizza in Italy was also great, obviously. Ironically, I've heard stories from people in New Jersey and the New York City metro area in New York and Connecticut vacationing in Roma and Firenze and complaining about the pizza.

Probably because it's different than what they're used to. I imagine pizza in Italy is better than anywhere in the world, that's a given.

lol pizza in east TN? I don't know about that...

Old 05-04-2010, 11:40 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
For some reason, no other part of the country can make a soft pretzel quite like Philly can

Old 05-05-2010, 12:02 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,637 times
Quote:
Probably because it's different than what they're used to. I imagine pizza in Italy is better than anywhere in the world, that's a given.

lol pizza in east TN? I don't know about that...
That's why it's only fair to call the pizza found in the NY/NJ area, which is quite good, the Italian-American version, rather than the true Italian version. Of course, I had great pizza in Rome and Florence, as well as in Pisa and Siena. One of my favorite places for pizza (Italian-American style) is Marathon on the boardwalk in Seaside Heights, NJ.

I've heard stories about poor quality pizza in Florida, but I rarely have pizza in Florida. I enjoy the fantastic seafood and key lime pie (Key limes are actually Persian in origin rather than being from the Florida Keys, but the dessert dish seems to have been absorbed into Floridian cuisine).

But the pizza I had while in rural Tennessee rivaled that found in NYC.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:34 AM

793 posts, read 1,453,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Try Newark.
They have a Portugese section (Ironbound) with fantastic Portuguese cuisine. It was a great first impression eating there.. I've looked for potugese joints elsewhere and I've yet found a place that's comparable to the authenticity of Ironbounds Portuguese restaurants.

I went here.
I admittedly have only eaten in Ironbound once when I lived in NYC (Went to TOny de Caneca and it was solid) but yes I have heard great things from friends who love Portuguese food about the places around there, so it should be included in this list.

If you get a chance to visit the Boston area try some of the places in East Cambridge/Inman Square or venture out to Fall River or New Bedford. Similarly in Toronto check out Little Portugal (College St, between Ossington and Lansdowne) You will definitely get your fix.

Quote:
Overall the Hot Dog "scene" here in Boston does not compare to NYC, Chicago and Toronto. BUT, by far the best hot dog I've had in my life is Speed's in Boston. The Wall Street Journal seems to agree. (The Wall Street Journal- Speed is #1 Hot Dog in America (http://bostonspeeddog.com/Boston%20Speed/Wallstreet%20News.html - broken link))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.