Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 08:53 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,181 times

Advertisements

So, here's a question that has been kicking around my head for awhile. Clearly, all of us C-D'ers have a fondness for coming here and kicking up dust storms about this and that city. We have cities we know we like, cities we think we like, and cities we have no fondness for at all.

But aside from giving us a chance to argue a bit and act as ambassadors for our favorite places, I've been wondering: has anyone changed their opinion about a city (whether for better or worse) largely due to something they read here?

In other words, did you come here thinking you hated Los Angeles, but thanks to the diligence of some posters, now have a different opinion? Or perhaps you thought Chicago was the shiznit, but are now slightly less enamored because of something you read here?

I guess what I'm getting at is, do these back-and-forths that we have achieve anything other than adding to the searchable content of the interwebs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 09:36 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,916,421 times
Yes. I did not know this city 'Houston' existed but now I know it is the capital of the south, the 3rd most important city in the nation (the top 1,2 being debatable), it is the energy capital of the world, the medical capital of the world, is the most diverse city in the world, and the most important skyline outside of NY and Chicago (of couuuurse). However, I have also learned that this mystical land is not what the good folks here call "walkable" (although I am not sure what this is it seems directly proportional to the amount of people who wear glasses without prescriptions). Unfortunately for this otherwise wonderful land, the lack of "walkability" of Houston makes it an undeseriable wasteland left only those who cannot afford elsewhere, and of course, mexicans. I have learned all of this from the informative folks here on these forums. Thanks, everyone!

Oh, I also learned that you can't get real pizzas and bagels outside NY. but you can get pizza ON a bagel ANYWHERE AND ANYTIME.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:40 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
Yes. I did not know this city 'Houston' existed but now I know it is the capital of the south, the 3rd most important city in the nation (the top 1,2 being debatable), it is the energy capital of the world, the medical capital of the world, is the most diverse city in the world, and the most important skyline outside of NY and Chicago (of couuuurse). However, I have also learned that this mystical land is not what the good folks here call "walkable" (although I am not sure what this is it seems directly proportional to the amount of people who wear glasses without prescriptions). Unfortunately for this otherwise wonderful land, the lack of "walkability" of Houston makes it an undeseriable wasteland left only those who cannot afford elsewhere, and of course, mexicans. I have learned all of this from the informative folks here on these forums. Thanks, everyone!

Oh, I also learned that you can't get real pizzas and bagels outside NY. but you can get pizza ON a bagel ANYWHERE AND ANYTIME.
Lol.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:41 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post

when pizzas on a bagel, you can have pizza anytime!

Old 05-04-2010, 10:16 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
It's changed my impressions of the locals in the cities, but that's about it. Luckily the people I DO know in Texas aren't like 90% of the Texans on the board. Same goes for Georgia. And for the record, I never talk about NYC to my southern friends. Usually they're the ones to bring it up. When they hear I'm going to meet friends in, say, Times Square, they say how they wish they could be in NY again.

They're not like many southern posters here who say the food is just like it is in NY. ALL of them bring up the memories of having pizza (just one example) in NY and how good it was.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:39 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
I now have a more favorable impression than I previously did about southern cities like Houston, Dallas and Atlanta. For some reason, I didn't think there was that much going on in those places. LOL.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:40 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,302,626 times
City-Data has changed my impression of humanity, and not for the better.

I have got quite a bit of information off of it, and hopefully I've given some back as well

Old 05-04-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I now have a more favorable impression than I previously did about southern cities like Houston, Dallas and Atlanta. For some reason, I didn't think there was that much going on in those places. LOL.
Honestly, they hype it up and it doesn't live up to expectations at all.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:18 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,338,121 times
I used to dislike Houston now I really really dislike it. I'm visiting Houston in August so that may change my mind..

Old 05-04-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
I used to dislike Houston now I really really dislike it..

I agree The Houston posters really portray the city negatively by their posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.