U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2007, 04:09 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,768,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Cool, I thought that was aimed directly at me. You know, cuz Im a massive homer and all. And dont feel bad, Chicago probably has alot more stereotypes than Houston.
Lol, like what? Probably stereotypes that people don't mind. But we have to deal with us looking like "homisexual" hating cowboys on television.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:19 PM

11,878 posts, read 33,545,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Lol, like what? Probably stereotypes that people don't mind. But we have to deal with us looking like "homisexual" hating cowboys on television.
That's funny mpope, and you make a good point. Houston, and Texas in general (at least the large cities) are much different than some of the negative stereotypes make them out to be. Sure, it's Texas; it's has a lot of cowboys, but it's also very diverse and a great place to call home. The people here are fantastic. Very friendly to just about anyone they meet.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:32 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,411,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Lets see: that its always cloudy and cold here, that we're out of shape, that we talk like the SNL skit (Da Bearssssss), that we all worship sports, that we all carry guns, that its always "windy", that winters are nothing but snow and blizzards, etc, etc. I hear it alllll the time, especially on these boards.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:41 PM

11,878 posts, read 33,545,142 times
Quote:
Lets see: that its always cloudy and cold here, that we're out of shape, that we talk like the SNL skit (Da Bearssssss), that we all worship sports, that we all carry guns, that its always "windy", that winters are nothing but snow and blizzards, etc, etc. I hear it alllll the time, especially on these boards.
I like Chicago very much. It's a great city with tons to do. Beautiful city by the giant lake. And I love that Bears skit! I know it's negative stereotyping, but man that was funny!

Old 08-15-2007, 04:53 PM

2,703 posts, read 2,606,418 times
Quote:
DA BEEEEAAAAARRRSSSS!!!!!

Old 08-15-2007, 08:31 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,886,305 times
Los Angeles: A
San Francisco: B
Seattle: D
Denver: A
Houston: B
Dallas: A
Omaha: C
Minneapolis: F
Chicago: E
Indianapolis: E
Miami: B
New York City: F
Boston: A
Philadelphia: F

Old 08-16-2007, 06:03 AM

5,370 posts, read 12,979,754 times
Los Angeles: A - I love it
San Francisco: A+ - My favorite city of all
Seattle: B+ - I love living here. Great weather
Denver: C Ok city.
Houston: B Always enjoy my visits. Good food
Dallas: B I lived here. Cool city. Enjoyed my stay.
Omaha: D No thanks
Minneapolis: C Cool city but visited in the dead of winter. Again, No thanks
Chicago: A I love this city
Indianapolis: D No thanks.
Miami: B I love this city, especially the people.
New York: A+ Has it all.
Boston: A IMO one of the most beautiful cities in NA.
Philadelphia: C+ Historically beautiful but.....

Old 08-16-2007, 08:38 AM

1,418 posts, read 6,383,965 times
This is based on livability, not being a visitor. These are just my opinions, so don't get all upset

Los Angeles - (D+) - Pros - Lots to do, pretty geography. Cons - Way too expensive, crowded, Precieved racial problems, bad air, earthquakes, non 4-season climate (which I prefer), preception of superiority.

San Francisco - (D-) - Pro - One of the world's most beautiful cities, lots to do and see, great transportation system. Cons - Way too expensive, not tolerant of views other than their own, earthquakes, non 4 season climate.

Seattle - (C+) - Pros - Extremely clean and green, no opperssive heat, beautiful scenery. Cons - Too wet/chilly/cloudy, expensive.

Denver - (B) - Pros - Beautiful area, lots to do, relatively affordable, sunny. Cons - Too far away from the coast, a little too much snow.

Houston - (C-) - Pros - Low cost of living, good economy. Cons - Way too hot/humid/rainy, crime seems a bit high.

Dallas - (B) - Pros - A lot of recreational assets, very affordable, great economy, some beautiful areas. Cons - Oppressive heat/humidity, flat as a pancake.

Omaha - (C-) - Pros - Good cost of living, relatively safe, nice people. Cons - Too far from the coast, bad winters, not much to do.

Minneapolis - (C) - Pros - Lots to do, nice people, relatively affordable. Cons - Way too cold, too far from coast.

Chicago - (B) - Pros - LOTS to do, great neighborhoods, somewhat affordable, economy's not bad. Cons - Cold winters, some dirty/unkept areas.

Indianapolis - (B) - Pros - Nice economy, affordable, great people. Cons - Cold winters, flat geography.

Miami - (D) - Pros - Nice beaches, things to do. Cons - Crime, hot year 'round, hurricane risk, expensive, isolated geographically.

New York City - (D) - Pros - Very exciting place, LOTS to do/see, most diverse place on earth. Cons - Too busy/crowded, people precieved as cold, TOO expensive.

Boston - (C-) - Pros - Clean for such a large city, lots of great history, good neighborhoods, lots to do/see, great colleges . Cons - Too expensive, some depressed areas, winter cold.

Philadelphia - (C-) - Pros - Lots to do/see, great history, good neighborhoods. Concs - People precieved as cold, winter cold, economy, a bit expensive.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:52 AM

2,248 posts, read 6,207,553 times
Los Angeles: B. Great weather, beautiful geography.
San Francisco: D. Expensive, rude people, horrible public transit.
Seattle: B. Expensive.
Denver: A. Horrible weather but otherwise great place to live.
Houston: B. Cheap, hot.
Dallas: B. Cheap, hot.
Omaha: C. Cheap, nice people, but otherwise bland
Minneapolis: B. Horrible weather but otherwise great place to live.
Chicago: B. Expensive, great place to live.
Indianapolis: A. Cheap, great place to live.
Miami: F. Hot, violent, expensive.
New York: C. Expensive, not very family friendly.
Boston: F. Snobbish attitude, bad weather, expensive.
Philadelphia: C. Cheap, violent.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:25 AM

1,524 posts, read 3,459,684 times
Los Angeles: C-
San Francisco: B
Seattle: A
Denver: C+
Houston: B
Dallas: D
Omaha: D
Minneapolis: A-
Chicago: A-
Indianapolis: C-
Miami: B-
New York City: A-
Boston: B+
Philadelphia: B
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or