Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 04:03 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,691,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanceryan View Post
So are u from East Coast? Do u prefer the West Coast lifestyle to East Coast?

I'm trying to find a place that will fit what I'm looking for, which has been a decade long search so far.

I am from the East Coast, I grew up in DC and the DC area, went to school in Charlottesville, Raleigh Durham, and Chicago, and then moved to NYC (Manhattan). I see that you are in Asheville, I would say that our lifestyles and interests might be different but to answer your question yes I am a east coast guy but I would like to say more specifically a northeast guy.

I moved to Atlanta after NYC and the south/deep south/bible belt/redneck riviera (whatever other name) is definitely not for me. My favorite places in the south were New Orleans, Charleston, Savannah, and Asheville. Miami also but I don't consider Miami to be part of the south culturally.

I just recently moved to San Francisco and I love it here. San Francisco provides alot of what I like about the northeast: urbanity, density, progressiveness, live and let live attitutde, educated masses, etc. San Francisco also provides something that I don't typically see in the northeast however and it's that west coast laid back life style. As I get older while I do love and appreciate the northeast it's nice to grow into this west coast laid back routine.

I also enjoy Vancouver and Seattle very much, but the weather might be a big issue for some people. LA is really not for me, although some pockets are great like Burbank. Atlanta has been dubbed recently as the "little LA of the east", this says alot about the two cities and my personal opinions on my dislike for the two. If I had to choose though, I would rather live in LA, being the 2nd largest city in the USA it just provides so many more options and also the mountains and beaches are a great add.

I would also add that if you enjoy Asheville, I would think that Portland would be it's closest counterpart on the west coast. Portland is cool city, just too small for my tastes.

I have no clue whether this helps you or not but good luck on finding a place you'll be happy in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 04:13 PM

337 posts, read 663,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I am from the East Coast, I grew up in DC and the DC area, went to school in Charlottesville, Raleigh Durham, and Chicago, and then moved to NYC (Manhattan). I see that you are in Asheville, I would say that our lifestyles and interests might be different but to answer your question yes I am a east coast guy but I would like to say more specifically a northeast guy.

I moved to Atlanta after NYC and the south/deep south/bible belt/redneck riviera (whatever other name) is definitely not for me. My favorite places in the south were New Orleans, Charleston, Savannah, and Asheville. Miami also but I don't consider Miami to be part of the south culturally.

I just recently moved to San Francisco and I love it here. San Francisco provides alot of what I like about the northeast: urbanity, density, progressiveness, live and let live attitutde, educated masses, etc. San Francisco also provides something that I don't typically see in the northeast however and it's that west coast laid back life style. As I get older while I do love and appreciate the northeast it's nice to grow into this west coast laid back routine.

I also enjoy Vancouver and Seattle very much, but the weather might be a big issue for some people. LA is really not for me, although some pockets are great like Burbank. Atlanta has been dubbed recently as the "little LA of the east", this says alot about the two cities and my personal opinions on my dislike for the two. If I had to choose though, I would rather live in LA, being the 2nd largest city in the USA it just provides so many more options and also the mountains and beaches are a great add.

I would also add that if you enjoy Asheville, I would think that Portland would be it's closest counterpart on the west coast. Portland is cool city, just too small for my tastes.

I have no clue whether this helps you or not but good luck on finding a place you'll be happy in.
Yeah I moved to Asheville a year ago from Fl, looking for a more laid back atmosphere where there are educated folks.

I found Asheville while the weather is to die for, is lacking on the things to to list.

I would like a little more seasonal weather which is why I'm looking West, as I'm wanting some snow, but Asheville did get a record amt this yr. So looking more towards the Colorado area. We shall see!

Old 05-06-2010, 04:25 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,935,382 times
Quote:
Allow me to clarify my trip will basically begin in NC Mtns where I'm currently residing but will soon be putting everything in storage and heading to Chicago to start this trek West!

My route which I've yet to fully outline will go from Chicago, Minnesota, Monatana, Washington, Oregon, California, Utah, Arizona (which after a few comments here I may now cut our due to lack of aww appeal), and lastly Colorado before heading back east.

Anyone have any advice as what I should have, income will be around $3Kmth while on road so gas I'm sure will eat up large portion. Purchased a hanging hammock and sleep bag yesterday, will have to sleep in car or beaches etc as wont be able to afford hotel.
Out west there are state parks, state forests, national parks, and national forests everywhere. Most of them have camping. In fact, national forests are almost never crowded yet offer most of the camping amenities that national parks offer such as bathrooms, showers, laundry facilities, potable water, etc.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:26 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,413,825 times
Chanc, let me suggest that you add a small tent to your supplies. You can get one fairly cheaply and it will protect you from bugs etc.

What a great opportunity!

Old 05-06-2010, 08:03 PM

860 posts, read 2,203,879 times
I did something like this last year for an active duty assignment. I left in February from N. California for Ft Benning, GA. After two months there I drove to Ft Lee, VA and after three months there logged about 4000 miles during the drive home.

I just made sure to have some essentials related to the road trip. I had my car serviced and inspected (03 Crown Victoria) before I left and bought an emergency kit along with spare snacks/water bottles to store in the trunk. I have road side assistance with USAA and I had a nav system w/satellite radio installed right before I left. But I also made some Google map printouts just in case.

I took the most direct route in my initial travels because of time constraints but on the way back I had time to kill so I first visited D.C. before heading to Chicago to spend a few days with a friend from college. This was around the time Michael Jackson died so I went back south to check out the impromptu memorials at his boyhood home in Gary, Indiana. Then I went through the Midwest and checked out Denver and the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs before visiting Arches National Park and Monument Valley in UT/AZ. Then I finally took Hwy 50 ("Loneliest Road in America") accross Nevada before making it back to CA. Less than two weeks total journey. Other than crashing at my friend's place in Chicago I was pretty much stopping at random motels along the way and saving all my gas/motel reciepts to get reimbursement from the government. I had an overall general route in mind but no set timeline so I was winging it on the way back which allowed for a lot of flexibility and a mild sense of adventure.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:01 PM

9,468 posts, read 10,793,341 times
Quote:
Just wondering what all someone would need as essentials for a trip like this? As I'm about to undertake this in a few weeks for over a month to just air out my head and try to regain a perspective on life.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

Make sure your car has been checked out, have a good atlas and hit as many 2 lane roads as you can. Ive been to 46 states, most of them have something worth getting off the interstate to see. If you have a month, you will see alot.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:21 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,101,913 times
Ain't nothing like seeing the country via 18 wheels and getting paid to do it.

After traveling like that, it's kind of hard to do it any other way.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:58 AM

572 posts, read 1,994,651 times
Depending on when you're leaving I may do the trip counter clockwise. Go south first and let the weather warm up before going north. And do not forget the deserts of UT, AZ & NM. Monument Valley, Hovenweep, Chaco and of course the San Juan region of CO. Utah is perhaps the coolest state in the union, scenery wise.

If you camp and carry a good cooler, a lot of food and drink can be had for a little cash.
Motels - $75. Camping - $10. Food for a day +$25. Gas - $3.00 / 25 mpg x 200 mi = $25. Plus fun stuff.
So...if you're going for a month, your running close to your budget.

And don't worry about gas too much. You'll rarely be 50-75 mi. from a gas station. When it hit 1/4 tank, start thinking about it. Unless you're really going out of your way to get out in the open country.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:21 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,486,067 times
I agree with other posters who suggest staying off the Interstates as much as possible. Not only will you see more, but you'll generally encounter much less traffic and you'll have cheaper eating and accommodation options. Family-run motels in small towns generally run about $15-$25 a night less than the cheaper chain motels found clustered around the interstate exits. For example, I just looked up the Super8 in Salina, Utah... $63 + tax per night (it's at the Interstate exit). But in Salina itself, there's a motel for $47 + tax (I've stayed there and it was perfectly fine). Even though you plan to camp out, it would be a good idea to budget for a night in a motel every now and again... you never know what the weather will bring, and you may find yourself in a place with no camping areas.

I've never used a GPS navigational thingie on US road-trips... an up-to-date Rand McNally road atlas covers all our needs (soft cover - my 2004 edition cost $3.95 on sale)!

I reckon you'll easily do a month road-tripping with your $4,000!

Old 05-07-2010, 07:31 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,222,853 times
I would not skip AZ, to me it's one of the most beautiful states and I've been cross country many times (NY state to AZ, AZ to the west coast up to Seattle etc.). I like it so much I live here. Just my .02.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.