Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocating for blue collar job scene, cost of living, scenic beauty, permanent housing

Old 06-17-2007, 06:00 PM
j1n j1n started this thread

1,245 posts, read 4,642,356 times

Advertisements

...and maybe some advice.

I am 36, NJ born, bred, and lived here except for short stints in Arkansas (when I was 19 or 20, I lived there for two months) and Florida. My wife and I moved to FL in 1997 after our daughter was born, seeking a simpler life and lower cost of living. That didn't work out as expected. Within a year, we came back to NJ, the place we knew.
Now we have a son as well, and really want to move out of NJ. I have a job offer in Jackson, WY, but housing is a beast out there. We have also considered southwestern VA, but do not have any specific offers there. We have been considering just making the move to VA, renting 4-6 months in advance, and seeking work. My wife has been doing medical reception and working with med records for @ 15 years with the same practice. Her work history and references are immaculate. I'll do customer service, steer a forklift, shipping & receiving, etc. Not too picky...just looking for a better cost of living, slower pace, friendlier people, more scenic beauty, less crowding, etc, etc.
We're basically blue collar without the weight of college degrees behind us, so the concept of someone wanting to hire you so badly that they will relocate you is a foreign one!
So, how do I do this? Anyone else run into this catch-22 of "can't get the job unless you live in the area, but need the job to move to the area" ??
Do we go with the one job offered out west, go live in some extreme beauty, and tough it out? Or do we go with the closer and safer(?) choice of sw VA, hit the temp agencies and scour the newspapers? Any advice and fresh perspectives appreciated. I've got a headache from trying to work this all out...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 08:54 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,877,942 times
If you don't mind my asking, what was it that made you decide to go back to Jersey? Was there something you didn't like about the area in FL??

This is a consideration, because it might play a part in how well your family handles being all the way out west versus a couple states away from New Jersey..

Old 06-18-2007, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
If you don't mind my asking, what was it that made you decide to go back to Jersey? Was there something you didn't like about the area in FL??

This is a consideration, because it might play a part in how well your family handles being all the way out west versus a couple states away from New Jersey..

Good question. At the time we were in FL (10 years ago), we were pretty young and naive...expecting high wages, low rent, palm trees, and paradise. Instead, we got relatively high rent, low wages, horrendous traffic, etc. We were in Orlando, and honestly, we were probably in a worse financial situation than we were in NJ (arguably the most expensive state in the country). My wife's parents were still in NJ, and she definitely was having a tough time being away from them for the first time ever. Her dad has since passed, and we don't know what her mom's plans are exactly. We do know that they include an eventual move out of NJ. My wife is in a better frame of mind now, and knows it's time to cut and run. We don't own a home here, and never will. And the rent, crime, congestion, etc don't seem to be slowing down!

Old 06-18-2007, 10:05 AM

286 posts, read 1,583,676 times
Smile In the process of doing what you want to be doing

I know where you're at. We were there a couple weeks ago.

First, and foremost, check out the job scene and cost of living. Before making the decision to move (either WY or VA), make sure you BOTH can get job in the area. Its not going to work in your favor if there are not enough jobs to go around. Next, get on the local newspaper websites to check out the housing classifieds. Once you figure out your average price you'll pay, you will know if that area is worth going to.

You need to make a list of pros and cons of each. For one, being in VA is a lot closer to NJ should you want to visit family or need family support. Secondly, you know more what to expect in VA because (I assume) you've been through the area and the way of thinking might be more similar to what your used to. You also know WY proves to be difficult in housing at this time.

What we did first is figure out where we are going (Akron area, OH). Then, looked at the job market for both of our areas of expertise. I started going crazy applying for jobs. My husband landed his position within 4 days of applying, and he starts on the 25th. We're only moving from MI and it will only be 4 hrs to move. We'll end up getting a temp housing situation for him to stay at until we can 1. afford/find the permanent housing, and 2. I know what my job prospects are. Meanwhile, I will probably be floating between the two places trying to get the household completely moved while he starts his job.

It can be done.. and if you have the ability to move first and work later, that is definitely the way to go. If your wife can handle the household why you start working in the new place, that could also be a possibility. I know it is hard on a tight budget... and some of our expenses are being covered by the bank of my inlaws... only because they are seeing this as a positive move for us and know we need the help. But, overall, their help is only a small fraction compared to what we're investing (including what we've given up to make this happen, pinching our pennies, eating rediculously cheap, etc).

Good luck!! (and check out the job market in Ohio while you're at it... good cost of living and seemingly available jobs for some blue collar markets)

Old 06-18-2007, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbagirl View Post
I know where you're at. We were there a couple weeks ago.

First, and foremost, check out the job scene and cost of living. Before making the decision to move (either WY or VA), make sure you BOTH can get job in the area. Its not going to work in your favor if there are not enough jobs to go around. Next, get on the local newspaper websites to check out the housing classifieds. Once you figure out your average price you'll pay, you will know if that area is worth going to.

You need to make a list of pros and cons of each. For one, being in VA is a lot closer to NJ should you want to visit family or need family support. Secondly, you know more what to expect in VA because (I assume) you've been through the area and the way of thinking might be more similar to what your used to. You also know WY proves to be difficult in housing at this time.

What we did first is figure out where we are going (Akron area, OH). Then, looked at the job market for both of our areas of expertise. I started going crazy applying for jobs. My husband landed his position within 4 days of applying, and he starts on the 25th. We're only moving from MI and it will only be 4 hrs to move. We'll end up getting a temp housing situation for him to stay at until we can 1. afford/find the permanent housing, and 2. I know what my job prospects are. Meanwhile, I will probably be floating between the two places trying to get the household completely moved while he starts his job.

It can be done.. and if you have the ability to move first and work later, that is definitely the way to go. If your wife can handle the household why you start working in the new place, that could also be a possibility. I know it is hard on a tight budget... and some of our expenses are being covered by the bank of my inlaws... only because they are seeing this as a positive move for us and know we need the help. But, overall, their help is only a small fraction compared to what we're investing (including what we've given up to make this happen, pinching our pennies, eating rediculously cheap, etc).

Good luck!! (and check out the job market in Ohio while you're at it... good cost of living and seemingly available jobs for some blue collar markets)
Thanks for the insights! We are basically following the same game plan...online newspaper scouring, house and apt hunting, doing cost ofliving comparisons, etc, etc. WY is definitely the dream lifestyle change I'm seeking. VA offers the (smaller version) of the mountains and outdoors, and yes...the "safety" of not making such a huge jump.
On the other hand, I've gotta wonder...isn't that what life is about? The grand adventure? Pioneering spirit? Stepping off into the great unknown? I don't know. Makes my head spin. What I do know is that we've got to figure a way out of this spot soon!

Old 06-18-2007, 06:25 PM

286 posts, read 1,583,676 times
Default Oh, I totally agree!

If you're going to move, you might as well MOVE! That is my theory. We're headed to NE OH because the hubby wanted to be near his family. However, most of his family is near Toledo - which I don't care for as much. I wanted a more mountainous terrain (I'm used to the gently rolling hills of MI). My vote was for TN or KY ... "local" but still meeting my demands... he wasn't on board, so we compromised. So, off to Cleveland area for us... his cousins live in the area, so he gets that benefit while I still get to have some sort of diversity in the landscape that NW OH just doesn't offer. We're both happy.

Hey, if WY is calling your name... why not listen? I have a very simple belief in life. If it is meant to be, things will work out in that direction. Our plan to move has fallen so into place it is almost scary. What we have needed to work our has worked out, and all along the way has pointed us in that direction. If you're meant to head west on an adventure, then you will know it in your gut. Don't second guess or doubt your instinct. If something doesn't feel *right* then it may not be the right answer (and things usually won't work out once you take that path, fate letting you know that you were WRONG! ).

Old 06-18-2007, 06:58 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,015,270 times
Make sure that you're making the move for the right reasons. Learn from past mistakes and recognize your priorities. Moving is a real headache for some and others see it as an adventure. I can tell you that after having travelled extensively, anywhere you go in the US you'll probably see very little change. The only real change may be a slight scenery adjustment and the weather, outside of that don't expect to much. People and politics seldom change and there is a price you pay with the cost of living, albeit small or high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.