U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 04:13 PM

48 posts, read 282,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
You must have an ex in Chicago, I can tell.

EVERY major city has third-world-ish areas. Ever been to DC? Phoenix? Detroit? NYC? Pittsburgh? Miami? Dallas? Houston? How about Nashville or St. Louis? OH MY GOSH, guess what?!?!?! They ALL have third-world areas, Chicago is not unique nor different in that aspect. Get a clue.
Why in the wold would I have an ex from Chicago, and how could you tell. I travel to Chicago about twice to three times a year, and that is only to see my family in the burbs. If I was looking to get married sometime soon, Chicago would be the last place I would look.

When did I ever say that many of the other cities that you mentioned didn't have crime. Maybe you should reread what I wrote before putting words in my mouth. From my own travels I have found LARGE portions of Chicago to be disgusting, and full of drugs, crime, and other negatives. Others may have had different experiences. Sorry your city isn't what I consider to be exciting or interesting. My grandparents love the city in which they are a suburb of, but they will be the first ones to tell you that there are places in Chicago that the police won't even go. I could never live in a city that has that sort of position on crime.

But just for the record, NYC is far larger than you, and has much much less crime. I don't know where you got off thinking that you were less than them. You are posting on page with excellent crime statistics. Maybe you should look them up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 04:30 PM

115 posts, read 444,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Chicago and St. Louis. Was mugged in Chicago, and begged several times in St. Louis. My mother also was robbed at gunpoint by a bum in St. Louis years ago in the early 1980s. The Midwestern cities have the WORST bums by far.
Completely disagree. The midwest doesn't have the number in general, and I think they're a bit more brazen out west. The worst I've experienced was in Seattle, practically getting in the car behind me. While SF has the sheer numbers, they never seemed too aggressive. (Just don't visit Golden Gate Park at night)

Old 06-13-2007, 04:49 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,912,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvedderbest View Post
Completely disagree. The midwest doesn't have the number in general, and I think they're a bit more brazen out west. The worst I've experienced was in Seattle, practically getting in the car behind me. While SF has the sheer numbers, they never seemed too aggressive. (Just don't visit Golden Gate Park at night)
Hey, I'm just talking from my own experience. Chicago and St. Louis have not been kind to the people I know and me with their bums. I would imagine Detroit and Cleveland aren't that different from these places either. Many of the most crime-ridden cities in the nation are located in the Midwest (Detroit, St. Louis, Cleveland, Chicago). All four of the ones I just mentioned are in the top ten.

Old 06-13-2007, 04:53 PM

142 posts, read 956,120 times
Default No sympathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
I never had a problem with homeless people. Perhaps it's because I have respect for them as human beings or that I don't carry myself like a victim. For whatever reason I never got "hassled" and I've been to all the cities you mentioned. Most just ask for some change and I help when I can. If I can't, they thank me anyways. I think a lot depends on how you carry yourself and on the individual homeless person.
Socially, I am about as liberal as they come. I don't care if you are gay, straight, white, black, or purple with yellow spots. I don't care if you are a drunk, a pothead, or a straight edge vegan. Basically, I don't care what anyone is doing, so long as what they are doing doesn't affect me. In my humble opinion however, being a social liberal does not mean you have to respect people for simply being alive.

When people are just hanging around public places begging, they are putting their own wants & needs over everybody else’s. They obviously don't care about the business owner who they are causing to loose money by driving away customers. They obviously don't care about the bills that you or I have to pay, and they obviously don't care about putting you or me in the awkward position of having to explain why we do not want to give them our hard earned cash. Why should we care about enabling anyone to keep living that way? The answer is, we should not, and I for one, will not.

I even get irked when the government hands out our tax dollars to "low income families" through section 8 and food stamps and what not. Why should you or I have to pay for someone else’s kids to be raised? If you can't afford to have children, DON'T! Don't just go get yourself knocked up and then expect others to pay for your mistakes. That is not right. I have known women who actually had more kids just for the government pay off! Our system is backwards. They should give the tax discounts to those of us who decided not to have kids because we made a conscious decision for one reason or another not to contribute to overpopulation, not to help overburden the public school system, etc.

Now some will say "just wait until you hit hard times, you will change your positions". Nope, nice try. When I moved across the country without much money, without a job, and without a place to live, did I stand around begging for others to support my poor ass and my poor decision? NO. I could have...but it would not be right, and instead I chose to live out of my piece of crap car and the motel 6 while I busted my ass to find a job. Then I got a crappy job and proceeded to SLOWLY get my life together.

Anyone who can stand around begging, can pick up a mop, or pick up a spatula and flip some burgers.

I have no sympathy for anyone who expects others to take care of them while they do nothing; I have no sympathy for anyone who expects the rest of society to compensate them for their own mistakes and/or misfortunes.

Everyone makes mistakes. The difference between good character and poor character is how we choose to deal with those mistakes. Most of the people begging don't give a f*** about anyone other than themselves. Imagine if they invested 1/2 the time they spent begging looking for work?

Last edited by acs.1979; 06-13-2007 at 05:13 PM..

Old 06-13-2007, 05:32 PM

4,723 posts, read 13,930,633 times
Had very bad experiences in Portland,Had a very bad one in Asheville NC if you can beleive it(,they were horrid-and had my young son with me..)Just annoying windshield "spitters" in NYC,Oddly,never got hassled in Chicago ,though I have certainly seen them

Old 06-13-2007, 07:31 PM

40 posts, read 200,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
In recent years I'd have to say downtown San Francisco--so aggressive one of them managed to pick-pocket a colleagues wallet in broad daylight. Not fun!
Agreed. I lived in SF for 3 years and thought the "spare changers" were much more aggressive than what I'd experienced in Seattle. One time, walking back to my flat from a movie with a friend, a homeless person followed up for a block asking for spare change. We said "no" and my friend said a very firm "no" to him after the block walk, and the homeless person spit on my friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-13-2007, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmbrellasYearRound View Post
Agreed. I lived in SF for 3 years and thought the "spare changers" were much more aggressive than what I'd experienced in Seattle. One time, walking back to my flat from a movie with a friend, a homeless person followed up for a block asking for spare change. We said "no" and my friend said a very firm "no" to him after the block walk, and the homeless person spit on my friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Damn. I'd have reported this to the police. THat's a punishable offense. Your friend could've gotten money...uhh..wait...no this is a bum asking for spare change never mind ROFL!!!! He just would've gotten the spare change back

Old 06-13-2007, 07:44 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,873,289 times
I've lived in Chicago most of my life and I've had a few unpleasant experiences with some very aggressive people asking for spare change here (including one guy who went off in some sort of screaming racist rant when I told him no) and I had a couple of experiences in Seattle as well. Interestingly enough, I've not had any such experiences in NYC, Toronto, or Boston (the other large cities I've visited in the last couple of years)

Old 06-13-2007, 08:01 PM

6,490 posts, read 16,173,766 times
I'd have to say in my experience definitely San Francisco. Sure, New York has tons of homeless (many fewer than before Giuliani rounded them up and shipped them out to Long Island). But New York's homeless hang out in the shadows, occasionally holding out a cup on a sidewalk and almost never approaching or hassling people.

I stayed in the Tenderloin area of San Fran for about a week. There were tons of homeless on the streets at all hours of the day and night, getting in peoples' faces asking for money. When standing on the sidewalk one night talking to an associate, a homeless woman approached and asked for money. My associate said "no" and I just ignored her. She came up, smacked me in the back of the head and said "answer when someone talks to you!" My first thought was to grab her arm, twist it and bring her to her knees, whereafter I would have the options of beating her down or just shoving her aside. But I just decided to keep ignoring her.

I've never been smacked by a homeless person in any other city.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I'd have to say in my experience definitely San Francisco. Sure, New York has tons of homeless (many fewer than before Giuliani rounded them up and shipped them out to Long Island). But New York's homeless hang out in the shadows, occasionally holding out a cup on a sidewalk and almost never approaching or hassling people.

I stayed in the Tenderloin area of San Fran for about a week. There were tons of homeless on the streets at all hours of the day and night, getting in peoples' faces asking for money. When standing on the sidewalk one night talking to an associate, a homeless woman approached and asked for money. My associate said "no" and I just ignored her. She came up, smacked me in the back of the head and said "answer when someone talks to you!" My first thought was to grab her arm, twist it and bring her to her knees, whereafter I would have the options of beating her down or just shoving her aside. But I just decided to keep ignoring her.

I've never been smacked by a homeless person in any other city.
Luckily I've never been smacked at all, only been shoved. I'd still have loved to be able to get my hands on that guy who mugged me in Chicago (see the story several posts back) and beat him senseless. It all happened so fast though that i really couldn't comprehend what had happened until he was gone. lucky him. Surprised me in general that a bum would try to put his hands on a full-grown man without any kind of weapon to protect him. Women are much easier targets for that kind of thing than men are. Oh well....some bums like this guy are bold. You should've reported her...she could've been arrested for assault and you could've gotten compensation. There's no excuse for that, homeless or not. those homeless people who do those kinds of things shouldn't get any sympathy from anyone, including the system. If you are aged 18 or over, putting your hands on anyone for any reason other than self-defense is a big no-no in this country and a punishable offense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.