Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 12:59 PM

48 posts, read 291,651 times

Advertisements

Chicago and LA have got to be some of the worst. You wouldn't think it until you get into less walked paths of the city. Some parts of Chicago are down right third world!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 02:18 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,026 times
Default If you subsidise it, you will get more of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
I never had a problem with homeless people. Perhaps it's because I have respect for them as human beings or that I don't carry myself like a victim. For whatever reason I never got "hassled" and I've been to all the cities you mentioned. Most just ask for some change and I help when I can. If I can't, they thank me anyways. I think a lot depends on how you carry yourself and on the individual homeless person.
It's not a question of if they are human beings or not, it is an issue of behavior. If you subsidise their self destuctive behavior you will get more of it.That is a natural law. There is no reason in todays world that anyone needs to beg. There is pleanty of work and social programs for anyone who wants to straighten themselves out. These people for the most part have substance abuse problems and are only looking for the easiest way to get high, when you give them money you are just making it easier for them. They trade there self respect for each hand out, which makes them want to escape reality that much more. It is a downward spiral. The beggars are only half the problem, the do gooders who support their lifestyle to make themselves feel better are the real problem. For every action there is a reaction, consider the reaction before doing the wrong thing.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:37 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,395,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Not even close. Ever been to Miami? Or NYC? Or Las Vegas? Or LA? Or Memphis? Youd be singing a different tune.... Ive NEVER had a problem with bums in Chicago, and youre talking to a guy whos been downtown hundreds of times. The worst I ever got was "can I get them shoes?"
Well you could be right Steve-O. I'm just speaking from a tourist's point of view. I was mugged in broad daylight by a bum....kindly asked for cash out of my wallet, he had no weapons on him, was about my size, told him didn't have any, his response was "Don't bullsh*t me you stupid motherf*cker" and yanked it out of my coat pocket, which he literally ripped apart without any warning, opened my wallet, took what was in there, then shoved me onto the ground and ran off with my wallet. He'd disappeared into a crowd of people by the time I got up to chase him. I've never seen something that aggressive before. Most people I've said that to just accept I don't have any and move on. I've never seen or heard of anybody putting their hands on someone before over something like that unless the person they're asking for money from says something provocative and insulting to them, of which I did neither. Ask the cops who I filed the police report with. They could tell you this really happened.

Last edited by ajf131; 06-13-2007 at 02:56 PM..

Old 06-13-2007, 02:55 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldercol View Post
Chicago and LA have got to be some of the worst. You wouldn't think it until you get into less walked paths of the city. Some parts of Chicago are down right third world!
You must have an ex in Chicago, I can tell.

EVERY major city has third-world-ish areas. Ever been to DC? Phoenix? Detroit? NYC? Pittsburgh? Miami? Dallas? Houston? How about Nashville or St. Louis? OH MY GOSH, guess what?!?!?! They ALL have third-world areas, Chicago is not unique nor different in that aspect. Get a clue.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:59 PM

Hehe, Steve-O I changed to kindly from aggressively because while he did say it in an aggressive tone, he said please LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

Old 06-13-2007, 03:12 PM

142 posts, read 1,030,788 times
In Miami, they are horrible. Once I almost got into a fistfight with this one
******* because he started cursing at me when I told him that I aint giving him ****.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acs.1979 View Post
In Miami, they are horrible. Once I almost got into a fistfight with this one
******* because he started cursing at me when I told him that I aint giving him ****.
See, that's the cardinal rule you can't break acs1979. Never say anything nasty to a bum. Those guys can be crazy and very unpredictable. My father has a friend who mouthed off to a bum panhandler and the result was he got his nose broken and robbed

Old 06-13-2007, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
You must have an ex in Chicago, I can tell.

EVERY major city has third-world-ish areas. Ever been to DC? Phoenix? Detroit? NYC? Pittsburgh? Miami? Dallas? Houston? How about Nashville or St. Louis? OH MY GOSH, guess what?!?!?! They ALL have third-world areas, Chicago is not unique nor different in that aspect. Get a clue.
Agreed. Every city, even Seattle, has a third-world area. Don't pretend like it's not true,because it is

Old 06-13-2007, 03:46 PM

142 posts, read 1,030,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
See, that's the cardinal rule you can't break acs1979. Never say anything nasty to a bum. Those guys can be crazy and very unpredictable. My father has a friend who mouthed off to a bum panhandler and the result was he got his nose broken and robbed
Well to be honest, I never worry about it. Most of them are so jittery & weak from crack smoking or whatever and wouldn’t do very well in a fight if it did come to that.

It is about respect. I wouldn't be rude to anyone if they were not first rude to me. When I get a shot of attitude from anyone, be it a bum or a millionaire, oh yes, I give it right back.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acs.1979 View Post
Well to be honest, I never worry about it. Most of them are so jittery & weak from crack smoking or whatever and wouldn’t do very well in a fight if it did come to that.

It is about respect. I wouldn't be rude to anyone if they were not first rude to me. When I get a shot of attitude from anyone, be it a bum or a millionaire, oh yes, I give it right back.
True. I guess if they did it first, by all means return the favor. Just be prepared if they don't take a liking to it. Most of the people in St. Louis are not weak people...many bum panhandlers i've seen are actually of a typical build and don't seem drugged to me at all. They generally approach people who they could have a fighting chance against if need be. They really need cops to watch out for these guys more often. Luckily I've never encountered these kinds of people except in the bad parts of the city when I had no choice but to be in those parts. You want to try and make an excuse not to be in North City or East St. Louis whenever possible, and if you do, I'd recommend carrying a concealed weapon if it ever came to that.

Last edited by ajf131; 06-13-2007 at 04:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.