Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2007, 04:21 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,197,702 times

Advertisements

list the one thing that almost made you turn your back on your hometown ( example: Dodgers moving to L. A. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 08:17 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,342,894 times
Hmmm...that's a tough one. For the NBA, when the Hawks moved to Atlanta, so the Rams could replace them and win us a Superbowl. I'm glad the NFL Cards moved to Arizona, they never did St. Louis justice

Old 06-13-2007, 11:06 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,131,809 times
Chicagoland has done nothing but improve, so far its done nothing to really break my heart. The only thing I can think of is when they moved Fannie Mae candies down to the frickin stupid Utah desert. What the heck does Utah know about chocolate?!?!?!?!?!?! That kinda pissed me off! GIVE ME BACK MY FANNIE MAE MINT MELTAWAYS!!!!!! It also pissed me off that Portillo's (a Chicago legend) opened up a restaurant in California! They dont deserve it! LOL I dont like when Chicago-specific places open up in other areas of the country, it makes it less special.

And I know the most dreaded day coming is when Wrigley Field gets torn down, Ill be a miserable wreck, its such a special place. Whats super sad is that I know its coming soon. Its like an inevitable, impending bad dream.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:54 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,667,975 times
Don't even get me started on Philly Phans & the Rachael Phelpses which bought the Phillies from Ruly Carpenter in 1981.
See the Movie "Major League" (1989) and then go through all the moves made by Giles since 1981. To top it off, and to prove the point, see the 1993 Phillies -- which even had a "Wild Thing" for crying out loud!

Tells Schmidt in 1987 he'll have to "wait" to talk new contract, as he's having an even MORE consistent year than his MVP '86. And just one year deal come November.
But give the already perennially injury-prone "Nails" and "Dutch" five-year deals -- AFTER their 1991 TREE ENCOUNTER! Lenny was bragging to Jayson Stark in the clubhouse in '93 about his "Special vitamins" when Jayson remarked about his new physique. (Hey Philly: Like Barry Bonds much?)
City treated Schmidt like garbage, but loved the scruffy Daultons because they were "Macho-Row and blue collar". Blech. Nice careers. 1993 Phillies were so LOVED compared to Schmidt, who the city only found fault with and booed. But give them Nails bulked up on Roids...

I cried when the Braves lost in 1993, will never forgive Cox for having Nixon (Nixon?!) bunting -- and again! Joe Carter, you saved my year!!!!!

I shall despise the organization until they sell. Hey, happy 10,000th loss this month, too!! Not even the hapless Cubbies have been so bad.

Steve-O, I've been out of the Loop (pun intended), what's up with that super sad because you know...?

Last edited by Travel'r; 06-13-2007 at 03:03 PM..

Old 06-13-2007, 03:04 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,131,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
Steve-O, I've been out of the Loop (pun intended), what's up with that super sad because you know...?
Wrigley is old, and in many ways quite decayed. It is my fave stadium far and away, but she's old and falling apart slowly. Theyve even had to hang safety nets under the upper deck to keep pieces of concrete from falling on folks on the lower level. Wrigley is amazing, full of history, and still the prettiest stadium on the planet IMO, but her time is coming to an end. Within the next 20 years she'll probably be torn down. The day that happens is the day a big part of Chicago dies. We already lost ancient Comiskey to the monstrosity that is US Cellular Field, and pretty soon we're gonna lose Wrigley. When the park opened, lots of fans showed up in horse-drawn carriages, cars were hardly even remotely popular back then. Im gonna hate to see that history meet the wrecking ball.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:11 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,342,894 times
I'm kinda bummed that they had to tear down the old Busch stadium for the Cards. That was a stadium full of history. Mark McGwire hit historic home runs 62 and 70 there, and the Cardinals played three World Series there. I loved that stadium's architecture and miss it greatly. I'm also bummed about the old arena that they blew up years ago that was located by the St. Louis Science Center just west of the Central West End and south of I-64/US 40

Old 06-13-2007, 03:25 PM

41,737 posts, read 74,703,059 times
I left Erie, Pa., because I wanted to be a newspaper reporter and didn't want to work for the family that owned the only paper in town (nor did I want to have to marry a family member in order to get a job!). They still own the paper, and I still haven't moved back.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:53 PM

142 posts, read 1,028,481 times
Default My CITY did something great, my STATE broke my heart.

Wednesday March 3rd, 2004, the City of Portland decided that it was unconstitutional and unethical to deny same sex couples marriage licenses. About 3000 couples stood around in the pouring rain for hours waiting to receive marriage licenses, something most people take for granted. It was an amazing scene...people from other cities like Seattle were here waving signs saying "Seattle supports Portland!" and so forth. People were actually crying out of sheer happiness and appreciation. At that moment, I thought to myself, "Wow, what a great city I live in".

Fast forward to November 2004. A large, powerful and unscrupulous Christian organization managed to get an initiative onto the ballot effectively banning same sex marriage. Though voters in the city of Portland overwhelmingly voted against the measure, state wide it passed by a hair. Then the Oregon Supreme Court decided to void all the marriage licenses handed out by Multnomah County (the City of Portland).

Just like that the hopes and dreams of 6000 law abiding, tax paying Oregonians were trampled.

I was so disgusted I almost moved out of the state. The only reason I did not was because I had to keep telling myself "democracy is a messy process, and at least my CITY stood up to the forces that be to do what was morally correct."

Fast Forward to May 9th, 2007...with most of the opposition removed during our last election, Gov. Ted Kulongoski singed a bill making Oregon the 7th state to offer civil unions.

So, all in all, Oregon did manage to (sort of) redeem itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.