U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 05:01 AM

1,134 posts, read 914,609 times

Advertisements

That Toledo thing is..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 06:11 AM

2,171 posts, read 4,199,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I see you have been indoctrinated. I like having a yard, and I liked it even more when the kids were small and I didn't have to take them to the park for them to be able to play outside when I needed to work in the house.
Just curious, but what has this person been "indoctrinated" in? The idea that it's better to share recreational land rather than divide it up for individual use?

Old 06-21-2007, 07:02 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,957,210 times
Default How could I forget...

Thunder over Louisville and the Derby Festival!

Old 06-21-2007, 09:51 AM

403 posts, read 1,434,834 times
.....nothing!

Old 06-21-2007, 06:17 PM

8,862 posts, read 14,844,651 times
Default Some of us have some common sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
..the thing that makes you most proud, not general culture.
Not feeling too proud of my city tonight.

Yet, I know there are many good people 'Somewhere' in the urban sprawl.

Growing up in Atlanta--people were very friendly and open--'Thought of others' before themselves.

'Gracious', as my mother would say.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:27 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,634,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quijote View Post
Just curious, but what has this person been "indoctrinated" in? The idea that it's better to share recreational land rather than divide it up for individual use?
Here is his/her comment:
Quote:
Who needs yards when you have over 200 named peaks, and world reknown indoor and outdor facilities in your own neighborhood, and just down the road is Denver.
Something tells me this person has no experience raising children, to say "who needs yards". When my kids were little, I liked having a place for them to play safely, while I worked in the house. If you don't have a yard, you have to take them to a park. And parents of little children are not doing much mountain climbing, at least not on a daily basis. Plus, I enjoy having a garden and growing some of my own food, and eating dinner outside w/o having to cart it a couple miles to a park.

I like parks, too. But can't we have both?

Old 06-21-2007, 07:45 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,041,242 times
Carthage,MO hosts the annual Marion Days Festival the 1st weekend in August. This is a gathering for Catholic Vietnamese people, with religious significance. It is held on the campus of a seminary for Vietnamese priests. Families come from all over the country to worship, and meet up with other friends and family members. There is a message board for people trying to find others. Churches from other states come and set up food tents. Famous Vietnamese singers hold concerts. Kids in other states steal cars sometimes just to get here. The surprising thing is that we sometimes have 60,000 Vietnamese visiting, in a town that usually numbers 13,000. Carthage basically has 2 groups-Caucasian and Hispanic. Until Marion Days arrives. Local churches of all denominations help by distributing free bottled water, and using their buses to ferry people to Wal-mart and back. Lots of locals take advantage of this to try authentic Vietnamese food. There have been rumors in the past of the Pope visiting. Who knows....?

Old 06-21-2007, 08:56 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,634,943 times
Louisville, CO has Friday night street fairs in the summer. It's a great way to meet up with your neighbors. There is a band/vocal group, beer sales, and a sort of "flea market". We also have the 2nd biggest Labor Day parade in Colorado, along with the entire Labor Day Weekend Fall Festival. On Saturday of Labor Day weekend there is a pet parade for kids under 12. On the 4th of July, there is a big festival in the park. I know this isn't unique, but the city council cooks the hot dogs and brats, and they are free!

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 06-21-2007 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.