U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2007, 08:14 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,905,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
Chicago, IL. The Worst Traffic Signals with some of the Worst roads in the nation. A totally miserable place to drive in/or near!!!!
I agree. There are no traffic lights in Chicago which have a six-second period from the time they go from yellow to red. As fast as people go there, that's just asking for a catastrophic accident. they really need more six-second traffic signals in this country. Most they give is generally three or four in between a yellow light and red light.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 08:21 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,905,824 times
In St. Louis City they have traffic lights which turn red regardless of whether the minor streets have any traffic there and also operate 24-seven...they never flash yellow or red...imo a big waste of electricity and a big inconvenience to traffic driving in mostly empty streets. All in all you waste about 2 minutes waiting for a red light which has turned red for no cross-traffic to turn green again. Also, many of the walk signals here never read walk or show the little man when the light is green. they just stay the solid red hand unless the walk button is pushed, so often you never have a warning of when a traffic light is going to turn red becuase you don't have the flashing red hand. It's caused significant numbers of accidents and I don't understand why they can't make the walk/don't walk signals operate along with the light. It's really quite dangerous and stupid if you ask me. Thank god though they are starting to promote their operations again, this time showing how many seconds left before a light turns red.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:15 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,159,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
The lights of Kentucky also look rather strange....no other state has traffic signals that look even remotely like them. I'd also have to argue for New York.
I'd say signalization is one of the things NYCDOT does really well! In Manhattan, lights on the avenues are among the best coordinated systems in the country. That's why if you're on an avenue, you can go 20 or more blocks without stopping for red at a single intersection. It's an incredibly efficient coordinated network. One of my favorite things to watch is the traffic in Manhattan from above. If well positioned you can see the coordination between street and avenue systems over an area of many blocks. I've heard people say it's like watching a dance.

There are several townships in NJ where I've observed inefficient coordination or lacking coordination that results in delays and poor levels of service.

Until recently, for a "Worst Traffic Signals" award, I would have nominated the Minneapolis-St Paul expressway ramp meters. But I've heard that significant improvements to the timing and the removal of expressway-to-expressway meters have helped improve things. Any local insight?

Old 03-16-2008, 01:29 AM

3,669 posts, read 8,843,987 times
Of all the cities I've experienced driving in, San Diego has the worst, imo. First of all, the wait at a red light is the longest I've seen. Also, they are poorly timed so you can end up stopping at every single light while driving down a major road, which can get annoying real fast. The other thing I noticed like during rush hour or even non-peak hours on a busy street which has a lot of traffic, a light would turn green, but you can't proceed through the intersection because the traffic is backed up all the way from the next light which has been red for a long time. Also like someone mentioned in St. Louis, San Diego also has lights that turn and stay red for a small street which has no cars. It's no wonder why so many people run red lights in San Diego, even though it is wrong and I don't condone it.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:26 PM

692 posts, read 2,420,647 times
Tijuana, it's like driving in an another country.
The speed limit signs are generous though,
but the pot holes are even scarier than the ones in Chicago.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:21 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,787,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danco View Post
Tijuana, it's like driving in an another country.
Well, isn't it?

Old 03-16-2008, 08:50 PM

708 posts, read 2,410,554 times
I once spent almost twenty minutes at a three way traffic light in Austin. It was 3am, and there were cars. On another occasion, I waited for ten minutes in that same traffic light and ended up turning left on the red light.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:50 AM

692 posts, read 2,420,647 times
[quote]Well, isn't it?[quote]

Well lets see.. 10 seconds to get in and up to two hours to get out.
Yup looks like either a border crossing or an argument with my ex-wife.
( the border crossing at least has a purpose )

Old 04-22-2008, 05:02 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,575,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lndigo View Post
I once spent almost twenty minutes at a three way traffic light in Austin. It was 3am, and there were cars. On another occasion, I waited for ten minutes in that same traffic light and ended up turning left on the red light.

Uhh, did you say 20 minutes? I hope you at least turned your car off while you waited.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:29 PM

2,796 posts, read 5,489,040 times
Umm... this thread is pointless. We might as well ask everybody what beer is the best. There's no way to pinpoint the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or