U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 07:11 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,441,519 times

Advertisements

New Jersey is crazy with their left turn right exits that round about to an unnecessary traffic signal. Insane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 05:18 PM

812 posts, read 3,584,501 times
Anywhere in Southern CA. Since it's so highway-centric here, it's as if no thought was given at all to the proper traffic flow on the surface streets.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:24 PM

10,425 posts, read 44,663,927 times
Everyone seems to have an opinion but the fact is Las Vegas is world famous for the worst unsynchronized red light gauntlets.

With all the growth, traffic employees (not traffic engineers) install a new signal and just turn on the switch when the light is completely installed without regard to incoming or away going traffic.

We have lights here at intersections where there never has been a car crossing one of the directions.

Those who exist here will tell you if they drive all day long they will only make 1 or 2 greens all day long.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:26 PM

447 posts, read 1,962,186 times
I think Lincoln, NE is overall a great city - BUT, why does that city mount the traffic signals horizontally? It is the only city I have ever been to that does that. AND it is a real problem for drivers who are color blind...

Old 04-25-2008, 09:02 AM

2,927 posts, read 7,576,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe1 View Post
AND it is a real problem for drivers who are color blind...
Oh that's a scary thought.....

Old 04-25-2008, 06:35 PM

6,489 posts, read 16,164,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
New Jersey is crazy with their left turn right exits that round about to an unnecessary traffic signal. Insane.
Those are called jughandles and they're more efficient than a separate phase for left turn pockets. They're used on major arterials where the objective is to maximize throughput for through movements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe1 View Post
I think Lincoln, NE is overall a great city - BUT, why does that city mount the traffic signals horizontally? It is the only city I have ever been to that does that. AND it is a real problem for drivers who are color blind...
Horizontal configurations are actually pretty common. A few towns I've lived in have their signals arranged that way, and I've seen them in various parts of the country. Left is red.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:30 PM

3,676 posts, read 8,846,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Horizontal configurations are actually pretty common. A few towns I've lived in have their signals arranged that way, and I've seen them in various parts of the country. Left is red.
Pensacola, FL has those too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or