Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 02:33 AM
HOV HOV started this thread

15 posts, read 137,466 times

Advertisements

so i've been living in a suburban area of SoCal all my life and there's nothing in the world i want more now than to move. where i'm living is an absolute nightmare. don't get me wrong, it's a nice area and everything, it's just not my style. there's really nothing at all to do anywhere near where i live. it's just a bunch of churches and schools everywhere you go and it's extremely boring.

i came across this forum and it seems like there's some people here who really know their destinations. i was just wanting some suggestions. i'm going to graduate community college in a year, then move out of California and never look back.

here's my requirements:

- it can't snow; i've lived in SoCal all my life and so i'm not accustomed to cold/snowy weather. idealistically, i'd like my new city to be warm pretty much all the time.
- entertaining - there's gotta be excitement going on. i want a place that has great eateries nearby and maybe some nightclubs - just an exciting nightlife in general.
- somewhat liberal - just a place where i can be myself and where people aren't always judging everyone.
- not overly congested - pretty spacious and roomy

i've had my sights set on Miami or some place in Florida for a long time now. realistically, that's the kind of state i could see myself in down the line. if there are any particular cities in Florida you could recommend that meet my requirements, that would be great. also, if there are any cities outside of Florida that you think might be good for me, that would be cool too. thanks, everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 02:43 AM

35,309 posts, read 51,988,114 times
If no snow is a big factor then you are left with Florida,Miami and Miami Beach is probably your best bet but other considerations would be Key West,Daytona Beach,Tallahassee , areas

Old 05-07-2010, 02:45 AM
HOV HOV started this thread

15 posts, read 137,466 times
thanks, jambo. yeah, i can't live anywhere that snows. i just have no interest in adapting to that weather after twenty years in SoCal. Florida seems like the best option for me at this point, but i'm definitely open to other suggestions.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:38 AM

2,781 posts, read 7,181,650 times
Austin, Texas

Old 05-07-2010, 09:05 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,753,724 times
Check out Tampa, FL too.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:11 AM

35,309 posts, read 51,988,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Austin, Texas
Small problem with Austin = The Daily Nightly - MSNBC.com

Old 05-07-2010, 09:13 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,836,741 times
Leave out any place in the south if you want liberal. Liberal doesnt usually equal warm weather. I guess Miami might be the best option anywhere in the south, but I'd possibly go for Portland or Seattle (even though they're not really warm year-round, but still warmer than a lot of the country).

Old 05-07-2010, 09:38 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,072,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Leave out any place in the south if you want liberal. Liberal doesnt usually equal warm weather. I guess Miami might be the best option anywhere in the south, but I'd possibly go for Portland or Seattle (even though they're not really warm year-round, but still warmer than a lot of the country).
1- Not everywhere in the south is conservative...certainly not southern cities.
2- Portland and Seattle both get snow.

To the OP - I'd look at the Tampa area in Florida.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:55 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,836,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
1- Not everywhere in the south is conservative...certainly not southern cities.
2- Portland and Seattle both get snow.

To the OP - I'd look at the Tampa area in Florida.

The biggest cities in the south are moderate at best. You're from Durham, so to you it may seem liberal. But to someone from CA, the cities won't be liberal.

Tampa isn't liberal, says 53% republican:
Moderator cut: link removed, please read our terms of service

Portland gets an average of 3.3 inches of snow a year....

Last edited by Yac; 06-21-2010 at 08:39 AM..

Old 05-07-2010, 10:09 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,289,192 times
Well, Atlanta is in the South and there is no way, no how that you can call the City of Atlanta anything BUT liberal. Some people need to realize they don't always know of what they speak.

We do get snow though. Not every year, but sometimes a couple of inches here and there.

Also check out Houston, good job market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.