U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 12:39 AM

3,962 posts, read 9,156,266 times

Advertisements

The Country of South Africa has THREE Capital Cities- One for Executive Branch, One for Judicial, and One for Legislative.

Now I know that it's a Federal Government, for our State's sake, which three cities would you have for your state's Capitals?

I would keep St. Paul as one. Rochester as one. and Duluth as one.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 03:43 AM

23 posts, read 23,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
The Country of South Africa has THREE Capital Cities- One for Executive Branch, One for Judicial, and One for Legislative.

Now I know that it's a Federal Government, for our State's sake, which three cities would you have for your state's Capitals?

I would keep St. Paul as one. Rochester as one. and Duluth as one.
Same can be said about the Netherlands, they have two capitals now, and at one point had three. (Amsterdam, The Hague, and Roterdam) With the latter of the three being removed as a capital some 30 years ago.

California;

Sacramento- Already the state's current state capital, and should remain to be, it's a very significant political city for the west region.

Two additions and their reasons-

Fresno- It would be nice if one of three California state capitals would be inland, and not a major city. It would represent the culture of inland California and add more significant relevance to Fresno. Los Angeles is a great economical power house for California, but I don't think with the celebrity life, the entertainment industry, the port, the economic power hold, and the controversies that it should be a state capital. Not that it is not a good city, but it's good at what it does.

San Jose- They already call this city "capital of the Silicon Valley" and at one point it was the capital of California, so it only makes sense to let a city holding the position in the past to have it yet again. For the same reason that I listed above for Los Angeles, I would like to state similar reasons for not picking San Francisco for it. Oakland would be quite a controversial capital, especially with the way the media already portrays it. And San Deigo for the same reasons as Los Angeles and San Francisco.

The state's three branches can go any way into which ever city they choose, but I would recommend Sacramento being the executive branch, where the governor resides.

Sacramento- Executive Branch

For Fresno and San Jose it can be interchangeable between Judicial and Legislative, but I will state it in my own personal opinion.

San Jose- Judicial, because I personally do not think a city that is economically significant should have the Legislative Branch, it would lead to too many controversies for corruption, and bribes, and big businesses creating monopolies, and lawsuits.

Fresno- Legislative, I can see it being either Legislative or Judicial, but going with Legislative because it is not as significant economically as San Jose, which boasts many IT companies reigning in it's region. It would minimize controversies when businesses and government don't share that close of a bond. Less corruption, less monopolies, a lot less taxes.

Another good candidate can be Bakersfield, however, I feel it is less significant influentially as compared to that of Fresno and San Jose.

Alternative to Fresno- Bakersfield

The cities I have counted ineligible for various reasons;
- Los Angeles
- San Francisco
- San Deigo
- Oakland
- Long Beach (see reason for Los Angeles, and the vicinity to Los Angeles)

Last edited by Danny Phantom12; 05-09-2010 at 03:52 AM..

Old 05-09-2010, 08:30 AM

22,402 posts, read 36,406,654 times
PA - Harrisburg, Philadelphia, & Pittsburgh

Old 05-09-2010, 09:41 AM

40,048 posts, read 33,142,279 times
NY -- the two largest cities in the state would have to join Albany. So my new lineup would be...

New York City -- Legislative

Buffalo -- Judicial

Albany -- Executive

Old 05-09-2010, 09:42 AM

4,382 posts, read 16,247,126 times
Maryland - Baltimore, Annapolis, Frederick

Or, we can annex: Baltimore, Annapolis, DC

Old 05-09-2010, 09:55 AM

2,752 posts, read 3,756,121 times
Georgia:

Atlanta- Obviously.

Savannah- Also obviously,

Athens- Educational center, plus plenty of bars for the legislators, who need to loosen up.

Also considered Macon, Columbus, Augusta, and Rome.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:56 AM

23,123 posts, read 40,623,789 times
Georgia has actually had several capitals in it's history: Savannah, Augusta, Louisville, Milledgeville, and finally Marthasville (later renamed Atlanta). Between 1783 and 1785, Savannah and Augusta served as co-capitals, the governor and legislature dividing their time between the two cities.

georgia.gov - History of Georgia's Capital Cities

I can see moving the capital out of Atlanta altogether and assigning three regional cities the role of co-capitals: Gainesville for the northern region, Macon for the central, Valdosta for the south.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:16 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,023,231 times
Rochester, Buffalo and Syracuse

Old 05-09-2010, 10:34 AM

5,256 posts, read 13,169,920 times
GET RID OF TRENTON and make Jersey City, Montclair, and Cape May our 3 capitals... though NJ's politicians should fear going to work in Trenton.
I didn't pay attention enough in history class to exactly know the difference between jud, leg, and exe

Trenton has a lot of history being a capital, it was a breaking point in the civil war, it was the nations capital at one point, and I lived there at one point, so I don't want to leave it on a bad note.

Jersey City- It was the stomping grounds for immigrants coming through Ellis island, so it's the heart of how NJ's cities came along.
Montclair- It has a lot of wealth, and it has a lot of history with a lot of memorials dedicated to the American wars, 9/11/01, police, fire dept, etc (heroes)
Cape May- It's one of the oldest beach towns in the nation, and the architecture itself would make it a lovely beach capital.

Last edited by BPerone201; 05-09-2010 at 10:51 AM..

Old 05-09-2010, 12:12 PM

2,116 posts, read 4,656,877 times
Boston is currently the capital and if I were to add two more the natural choices would be Springfield and Worcester. They are the 2nd are 3rd biggest cities in the state and are neatly placed in the western and central portions of the state (with Boston in the east).

Boston- legislative (this involves the most people so might as well be near the most people)

Worcester- executive (put the gov'nah in the middle)

Springfield- judicial.

although these could change. I thought about having New Bedford or Fall River (or Plymouth if we are assuming this was from the get-go) instead of Boston since Boston would maintain economic dominance anyways but this seemed unfair to Lowell, and the north shore. Boston is more central, so if there are only 3 it's needed. If there were 4 capitals I'd do Springfield, Worcester, one Northeast and one Southeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.