U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Select your favorite regional cuisines (limit it to 3 options)
New England: seafood, clam chowder, etc 11 11.34%
New York: pizza, bagels, deli, and dozens of ethnic foods 24 24.74%
Chessapeake Bay: seafood 4 4.12%
Louisiania: Cajun/creole 25 25.77%
Texas: Tex-mex cuisine, chili con carne, steaks 24 24.74%
New Mexico: chile (with an 'e'), red or green? 9 9.28%
California/West Coast: cali mex, asian fusion, etc 12 12.37%
Southern/ Soul food: chicken fried steak, grits, etc 27 27.84%
Chicago: pizza, among others 15 15.46%
General Midwestern fare 3 3.09%
Other: (explain in your post) 5 5.15%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 07:49 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,644,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
No offense, Anon, but I think part of your confusion stems from the fact that you are fairly young. Many of Louisiana's foods and styles of cooking may have migrated into your area by the time you were growing up. But because I know you are a savvy researcher who, in this case simply lacks experience in food history, you might want to do a bit of further reading and try to discover what the real differences are between Low Country cuisine and Cajun/Creole.

Several other posters hit many of the main differences. You just need to prove it to yourself.
I made it clear that there are differences in Louisianan and Lowcountry food. My point was that lowcountry food has more in common with Creole/Cajun food than it does "Country-style" southern food. I saw a USDA report from the earlier part of the 20th century, where the two states consume the most rice per-capita were Louisiana and South Carolina. (That's not the case anymore)

You suggested that I look at other posters comments. All I saw was someone suggesting that Louisiana was different, because it was influenced by European sauces, African and Carribean ingredients, and access to seafood. Charleston is, and has long been one of the largest ports in North America. It was also the point of entry for African slaves, was the first major rice-producing area of North America, has equally good access to seafood, and saw major migrations of French immigrants.

I'm interested in the culinary history of the south, but your condescending reply (That I'm too young to understand, that I'm confused, that I should read more) wasn't very helpful to me.

Last edited by anonymous; 07-09-2007 at 08:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 08:48 PM

7,825 posts, read 12,338,063 times
Baltimore's crabcakes are pretty good.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:20 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,696,281 times
sad to see Key West not on the list...it has that creole flare

Old 06-20-2008, 08:22 AM

32,376 posts, read 55,199,350 times
Louisiana and California are my favorite. And as far as Cali/Mex and Asian Fusion, California Cuisine revolutionized fine dining not only in the US, but worldwide. I think you should study up on it.

Anyway, New Orleans and San Francisco...yummy.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:24 PM

2,779 posts, read 6,691,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
I agree that there are differences - New Orleans, particularly in the past 50 years or so, has created some unique and interesting dishes that aren't really traditional foods. We don't describe Cajun or Creole food as our regional food, because that is a word to describe two Louisiana ethnic groups. Some people call it "Lowcountry food", but I don't really call it anything. And no, the south at large doesn't claim these dishes, just the coastal parts of Georgia and South Carolina. As to whether they are also lowcountry dishes:

yes, or at least similar
Cracklins
Boiled Crawfish
Gumbo
Red Beans and Rice
Dirty Rice
Crawfish Etoufee
Boudin (Rice and Pork Sausage)
Jambalaya

no
Beignets
Andouille
Oysters Rockefeller
Bananas Foster
Po-Boy Sandwiches
Muffalettas

They may go by different names, or be slightly different, but the two areas have very similar food. Both had major ports with heavy french, carribean and african influence, grew lots of rice, and had access to seafood. Authentic Cajun food really isn't extremely spicy, that's sort of a misconception. I know some Louisianans who get upset about that, lol.

For example, the word "Gumbo" came from the Gullah of South Carolina, and it's up for debate whether the dish did. Charleston Red Rice is very similar to Dirty Rice. A shrimp etoufee is basically what you use for Shrimp & Grits. Crawfish Bisque is very similar to She-Crab Soup. What they call "Shrimp Boil" we call "Frogmore Stew". Things like Charleston Red Rice, Catfish stew, Perlau, Hoppin' Johns, Country Captain, Limpin Susan, and Shrimp Bog are all just lowcountry terms to describe some of the dishes you mentioned.

Wow, that ended up being a lot longer than I'd anticipated
I only mention all this, because I grew up in South Carolina, eating this type of food. The two sides of my family were from different parts of the state, so my dad cooked stuff like this, and my mom cooked more of your southern country cooking.

Many similiarities but the shrimp and grits doesn't exist in Lousiiana to the best of my knowledge. Not saying its no good, saying that I've never had it.

As for Muffalettas; that is an Italian (more specifically Sicilian) sandwich from New Orleans. I have never eaten them anywhere outside Louisiana, but that doesn't mean they don't exist outside of La.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or