U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 05:23 AM

357 posts, read 804,280 times

Advertisements

1244 Idaho, Gary IN 46403 | Homes.com

i saw that listing above...a fair looking house for under 10,000 dollars.....what a deal!

Now, i am white, working class and don't have a whole lot of money or education... i want to live in an urban area and own a detached family home, but will never be able to afford a house in a "nice area".

The house above seems perfect for me, though it is in Gary Indiana, one of the most infamous high crime areas in America and also 84 percent black. (the black that house is on is 81 percent black)

My question is, do white people, living in any high crime, predominatly black area, face discrimination and victimization because of their race? If not, then why do so few poor whites move to Gary or East St Louis? Where do all the poor whites move to and if there is another place they go to find low income family houses, why don't poor blacks go there too?

Can anyone speak from personal experience? Is it possible for a white family to live happily in a poor black neighborhood without facing discrimination? Because, if they can, then there is lot of opportunities in a town like Gary for poor whites to live in an urban area with service/entry level jobs close at hand, and own a cheap single family detached home with a back and front yard.....perhaps im onto something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 05:48 AM

10,180 posts, read 4,957,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyr View Post
1244 Idaho, Gary IN 46403 | Homes.com

i saw that listing above...a fair looking house for under 10,000 dollars.....what a deal!

Now, i am white, working class and don't have a whole lot of money or education... i want to live in an urban area and own a detached family home, but will never be able to afford a house in a "nice area".

The house above seems perfect for me, though it is in Gary Indiana, one of the most infamous high crime areas in America and also 84 percent black. (the black that house is on is 81 percent black)

My question is, do white people, living in any high crime, predominatly black area, face discrimination and victimization because of their race? If not, then why do so few poor whites move to Gary or East St Louis? Where do all the poor whites move to and if there is another place they go to find low income family houses, why don't poor blacks go there too?

Can anyone speak from personal experience? Is it possible for a white family to live happily in a poor black neighborhood without facing discrimination? Because, if they can, then there is lot of opportunities in a town like Gary for poor whites to live in an urban area with service/entry level jobs close at hand, and own a cheap single family detached home with a back and front yard.....perhaps im onto something?
To be honest, I have absolutely no experience in this, but as long as you live your life happily and don't bother anyone nearby you should be fine, IMHO.

It's basic psychology 101, people only hate on you when you hate on them.

And to answer your question, race shouldn't play much of a role in where a person lives, I think a lot of the reason why more whites don't live in areas like that one is because of the same reason your having second thoughts. A lot of people let fear get to them even before they can give it a chance.

I think you will be fine. Just respect everyone the way you want to be respected.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:18 AM

40,060 posts, read 19,752,793 times
I agree with OmShahi that race shouldn't play a role in where you live. But that's as far as I can go. Reality doesn't necessarily coincide with theory. Personally, I'd say you're pretty close to insane if you buy that house.

You ought to be fine given mutual respect...blah, blah, blah. But the reality of the situation is, you're going to be asking for trouble. And you're going to get much more than you wanted.

Just ask yourself this question: if other people thought the price was too good to pass up, don't you think that house would've been sold long before you saw that listing?

Old 05-10-2010, 07:31 AM

7,852 posts, read 12,609,952 times
It doesn't sound like the problem with living there would be your skin color...I would be worried about the crime - it doesn't really discriminate.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:39 AM

357 posts, read 804,280 times
Im wondering though, what is the nature of crime in that area, or any similar area for that matter. Are most violent acts commited between gang members, drug dealers and members of disfunctional families? If so, can it be assumed that i will be safe as long as i don't associate with drug dealers, gangsters or disfunctional people?

If i just go to work, go home and mind my business, will i be safe? Plus, Indiana has lenient gun laws...so i could pack heat pretty much anywhere

Old 05-10-2010, 08:35 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,709,063 times
I would not do it if I were you. If it were a middle class or better neighborhood that was mostly black it would be different, but Gary is poor and very ghetto. By moving into an area like this you are setting yourself up for harassment. I'm sure most people in Gary would not care, but it only takes a few punks to make your life miserable. I doubt you would get shot by gang bangers, but I would not want to take the chance of getting robed, mugged, jumped, or having to deal with degenerate behavior.

Also, you say that you want an urban area, but Gary is so run down that it has been stripped of its urban amenities. If I were you I might look into other metro areas in the midwest outside of the Chicago area. I bet you could get a pretty cheap house in someplace like Indianapolis, St. Louis, or Cleveland that is in a working class white or racially diverse neighborhood.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:54 AM

9,054 posts, read 12,091,047 times
The block doesn't look bad on Google street view.

Why don't you pioneer and let us know who it goes?

Old 05-10-2010, 10:03 AM

1,581 posts, read 1,394,558 times
If you mind your business then you'll be okay!

Old 05-10-2010, 11:59 AM

5,262 posts, read 7,668,656 times
Why should somneone have to "not look vulnerable" where they live? That's plain ridiculous.
It has nothing to do with being in a predominently black neighborhood, but it's the fact that your in a very murderous city.
If you look at the city-data crime stats for the city, Gary has had a history of having a 70+ per 100K murder rate. That's horredndous! That's near if not worst than Camden's status... the nations most dangerous city in the nation!

Maybe you'll do fine, but i'd suggest you look around more.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:31 PM

3,373 posts, read 3,834,568 times
Why don't you talk to the neighbors and get their opinions? It's your immediate neighbors that have the most affect on your well being. Staristics are city wide, not block by block. If you get a good vibe from your neighbors, put up a fence, get a dog, and practice diplomacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.