Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 10:47 AM

19 posts, read 31,520 times

Advertisements

White Bear Lake, MN and Port Washingtom, WI would fit well except for the fact that well, Minnnesota and Wisconsin are quite cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 10:51 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger24 View Post
White Bear Lake, MN and Port Washingtom, WI would fit well except for the fact that well, Minnnesota and Wisconsin are quite cold.
They could look to the other side of Lake Michigan where it is milder winters temp wise though.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:12 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,914,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger24 View Post
Yes, I'm sure there must be some beautiful small towns around the Great Lakes, just as I could suggest some great towns in New England and upstate NY . . . except for that criterion about climate. If we hear back from the OP, maybe we can get some more specific info on just how hot and cold are too hot and too cold.

If a basic four-seasons climate is not too hot or cold, I'd suggest checking out some towns in central Ohio. Granville is a beautiful little town in a hilly area with a mix of woods and fields in the countryside outside of town. Very quaint, has the feel of being its own town, yet it's within commuting distance of Columbus. Whether Granville would work depends on the sociological mix the OP wants. Granville is home to a small college (Denison University), and has a largely middle-class to upper-middle-class population of professors and prosperous retireees. The town does not have the mix of social classes some people would prefer, but could be a really good choice if the OP is okay with Granville's kind of social mix, and if central OH's winters would not be considered too cold.

Mt. Vernon, OH, is a town I've only heard about which sounds very similar to Granville in a lot of ways.

Granville is northeast of Columbus. A bit farther west, more to the north of C'bus, I've heard that many of the small towns in Delaware County are pleasant and friendly, and might meet the OP's criteria, depending on whether the OP would consider the winters in the area to be tolerable. The town of Delaware itself is probably larger than the OP is looking for, but I've heard good things about some of the smaller towns around Delaware County. I'd guess you could get some good info on that area at the OH or C'bus forums. The countryside around that area is not quite as pretty as it is around Granville. Delaware County is less hilly, more classic Midwestern farm scenery with a low rolling contour. Not spectacular, but still very pleasant to look at. Another plus is that the area around Columbus does not have the heavy industry rust belt history found in much of the Midwest, so, unlike a lot of the region, central Ohio is holding its own economically.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:23 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
I was going to say that if we are going to throw out Great Lakes communities, then Upstate NY has plenty of Mayberry like communities close to major cities. In the Syracuse area, I can think of about 10 off the top of my head.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:08 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
^^Wouldn't Syracuse qualify as "really snowy"?

Old 05-18-2010, 12:23 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
City folks have a very narrow point of view, when it comes to moving to a "small town". For the most part, the suburbs around our largest cities were once small community's. When it comes to real rural living, there must be a disconnect to the City, just like in the series Mayberry RFD....I would guess most city folks would not like it for long in these laid back places. There are many all over America, and most are more than a good hour from any place large. Not every place is like Wisteria lane in the Burbs ether.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:42 PM

871 posts, read 2,248,293 times
mayberry is real. its mount airy, north carolina, the town andy griffith is from and the show was based upon

Old 05-18-2010, 04:01 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
mayberry is real. its mount airy, north carolina, the town andy griffith is from and the show was based upon
We all know that... , I have been to Mt. Airy...not quite like the TV series. Open pit mining of granite/Limestone is their real claim to fame.Just off I-77 before you go over Fancy Gap grade...on to VA.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:53 PM

46 posts, read 83,881 times
Cool 100 miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by reluctantgardenstater View Post
i don't think anyone looking for real american values should come within a 100-mile radius of new jersey.
you got it brother im from nj cant wait to get out

Old 12-20-2010, 11:15 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,007,408 times
Burnsville, West Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.