Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 03:19 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times

Advertisements

What was the reason/cause that your city was founded?
It can be stereotypical or technical.

For example, many would think Houston was founded because of oil, but it was founded by the Allen brothers and they quickly started getting more people to settle there, and named after Sam Houston, the first president of Texas, and commander of the Texas army that led to it's independence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 03:22 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
An enclave for religious tolerance and freedom - kind of fitting really

Old 05-15-2010, 06:58 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,763,645 times
John Needly Bryan visited the Dallas area in 1839 looking for a place to create a trading post. After finding a good spot, he returned to Arkansas to settle affairs. In November of 1841 he returned to Texas, where he learned that a treaty had forced half of his prospective customers, Native Americans, out of North Texas. Bryan decided that a trading post was no longer feasible, so instead he established a permanent settlement, which eventually became the burgeoning city of Dallas.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:41 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,817,095 times
Where I live now (Bloomfield) was a part of Newark at one point.
Bloomfield (when it was a neighborhood of Newark) was bought from the Yantecaw, a subtribe of the Lenni-Lenape Indians. English settlers came from Connecticut to the southern end of town, and Dutch settlers from the Hudson River Valley set up farms in the Stone House Plains section, now Brookdale Park. (This is when it was first settled in 1666)

In 1812 Bloomfield seperated from Newark and was incorparated as an independent town, though Montclair, Belleville, Glen Ridge, and Nutley (nearby present towns) were all apart of Bloomfield until they all seperated throughout the century. (New Jersey splitted a lot of towns and cities up, hence why there's so many, It was a huge mistake if you ask me)

Anyway, I think Bloomfield has a lot of history for only being a suburb.
~
If only they knew seperating Bloomfield, Montlair, Nutley, and Belleville from Newark was a bad idea, Newark would of been more of an appealing, prominent city.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Where I live now (Bloomfield) was a part of Newark at one point.
Bloomfield (when it was a neighborhood of Newark) was bought from the Yantecaw, a subtribe of the Lenni-Lenape Indians. English settlers came from Connecticut to the southern end of town, and Dutch settlers from the Hudson River Valley set up farms in the Stone House Plains section, now Brookdale Park. (This is when it was first settled in 1666)

In 1812 Bloomfield seperated from Newark and was incorparated as an independent town, though Montclair, Belleville, Glen Ridge, and Nutley (nearby present towns) were all apart of Bloomfield until they all seperated throughout the century. (New Jersey splitted a lot of towns and cities up, hence why there's so many, It was a huge mistake if you ask me)

Anyway, I think Bloomfield has a lot of history for only being a suburb.
~
If only they knew seperating Bloomfield, Montlair, Nutley, and Belleville from Newark was a bad idea, Newark would of been more of an appealing, prominent city.
Home to the Sopranos and Roche or whats left on the East Coast

Old 05-15-2010, 08:03 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,817,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Home to the Sopranos and Roche or whats left on the East Coast
Haha, Your right about Roche USA, but I wouldn't really consider Nutley "home of the Sopranos" The show was all over, The "Bada Bing" was in Lodi (my hometown , you'd be able to see the Sopranos set from route 17), The Sopranos Household was in North Caldwell, Satriales is in Kearny, Junior Soprano lived in Belleville, The therapist scenes were in Montclair (except when Tony told her to get out of town ) and the last episode where the cliff hanger ending took place was in... Bloomfield

Obviously, I was a huge fan of the show.

Nutley is nearly 50% Italian though, so I can see the connection.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Haha, Your right about Roche USA, but I wouldn't really consider Nutley "home of the Sopranos" The show was all over, The "Bada Bing" was in Lodi (my hometown , you'd be able to see the Sopranos set from route 17), The Sopranos Household was in North Caldwell, Satriales is in Kearny, Junior Soprano lived in Belleville, The therapist scenes were in Montclair (except when Tony told her to get out of town ) and the last episode where the cliff hanger ending took place was in... Bloomfield

Obviously, I was a huge fan of the show.

Nutley is nearly 50% Italian though, so I can see the connection.
And they filmed the golf scenes on the course at route 3 and the Parkway

I actually just had dinner in montclair - more there than i had thought - and Bloomfield Ave is a pretty continuous urban street full of lots of stuff,

Old 05-16-2010, 01:58 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,490,627 times
i grew up in Paterson NJ and it was SILK CITY. they used the great falls as their "power" and many many mills operated there since the 1700's. if you ever get there to downtown and look past the now decrepit-ness and all the problems Paterson is plagued with, you will see beautiful architecture, and Lambert castle built on Garret mountain so that the owner of the the mill could see it from his home.

Paterson has a great history, and although not founded for it--it was home/birthplace to the famous Lou Castello of Abbet and Castello!

The Lambert Castle Story
Lou Costello Memorial in Paterson, NJ on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/23021987@N06/2294655903/ - broken link)

Old 05-16-2010, 06:20 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,892,327 times
Phoenix-farming.

There were ruins all over the valley of a Hohokam indian city from about a thousand years ago and running between them all were dry canals. Settlers in the late 1800's saw the canals and realized the year round farming potential.

Like the mythical bird that rises again from it's own ashes, the modern Phoenix rose from the ruins of the ancient city.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:17 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
In 1879 James Sweetland built a sawmill next to the Flint and Pere Marquette railroad. That started my little community, Scottville, MI.

Where I graduated High School from was Sault Ste Marie, MI which was renamed in 1668. It was a growing little European settlement before then, that was established for fur trading. The spot was picked due to it being a meeting place that had been used for almost 2000 years already by Indian traders in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.