U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 03:50 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,856,829 times

Advertisements

What things about a transplant angers locals of your city?

One of the things that Houstonian's don't understand about Chicagoan transplants is when they use the word "pop" to describe a soft drink...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 03:59 PM

22,349 posts, read 32,288,001 times
Mostly one of two things;

No this is not the sixth bourough

or

No I am not just going to talk to you because you are there - maybe one of the 200 other people close by will though

oh and one more - Thats not dirt thats character

guess these are more the rebuttals

Last edited by kidphilly; 05-15-2010 at 04:55 PM..

Old 05-15-2010, 04:02 PM

160 posts, read 141,404 times
Complaining saying that there is nothing to do here in DC.
Comments on go-go music (which I hate with a passion)
And lastly saying the place is too "country" for them.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:16 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,181,184 times
The thing that bothers me the most about Texas transplants is that they could give two ****s about the history of the city they now reside in. Most don't even bother to learn or to even give it a second thought.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:38 PM

463 posts, read 1,371,125 times
This doesn't really apply to Bucks County, Pennsylvania. About half the people here have moved from New Jersey or New York in the past fifteen years!

Old 05-15-2010, 11:01 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,350,550 times
From a Frederick point of view from montgomery county transplants

How boring they claim it is. How much they drive of prices of everything. How the sprawl is as far as the eye can see now. How greedy and simply rude they are; pretentious. How they call the locals trashy 'frednecks'.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:11 PM

22,349 posts, read 32,288,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsmith View Post
This doesn't really apply to Bucks County, Pennsylvania. About half the people here have moved from New Jersey or New York in the past fifteen years!

Yeah may not be long until NY adds Bucks to its Metro from the Census

BTW - I grew up there

Old 05-15-2010, 11:19 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,998,209 times
People don't realize how close NJ is to NYC.
I knew someone who came from New Orleans- "I've never seen so many transit buses"

People who aren't into the city thing like us on city-data usually have no clue about anything outside their own borders it seems.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:25 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,856,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
People don't realize how close NJ is to NYC.
I knew someone who came from New Orleans- "I've never seen so many transit buses"

People who aren't into the city thing like us on city-data usually have no clue about anything outside their own borders it seems.
I was thinking that about an hour ago, when we were posting pictures and trying to identify cities.

I was thinking about what cities to post, and I thought Portland, OR, but I knew people here on CD would get it in an instant after I posted it, since we all are here because we take an interest to these things. But I've noticed so many of the locals, like take this for example, if I took a picture of JP Morgan Chase Tower in Houston and showed most locals, they would be like "where's that located?" when it's the largest building in Houston and in Texas...

My friends have lived in Houston all their lives, don't know half as much about the things to do in the city as some people who moved here like 2 years ago... I just find that strange.

When I visited NYC 6 months ago or so, I ran into this guy at store who has never been to the Empire State Building, I found that so odd. He's lived there most his life but never been to one of America's most renowned symbolic architectural place.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:17 AM

5,256 posts, read 11,998,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I was thinking that about an hour ago, when we were posting pictures and trying to identify cities.

I was thinking about what cities to post, and I thought Portland, OR, but I knew people here on CD would get it in an instant after I posted it, since we all are here because we take an interest to these things. But I've noticed so many of the locals, like take this for example, if I took a picture of JP Morgan Chase Tower in Houston and showed most locals, they would be like "where's that located?" when it's the largest building in Houston and in Texas...

My friends have lived in Houston all their lives, don't know half as much about the things to do in the city as some people who moved here like 2 years ago... I just find that strange.

When I visited NYC 6 months ago or so, I ran into this guy at store who has never been to the Empire State Building, I found that so odd. He's lived there most his life but never been to one of America's most renowned symbolic architectural place.
Yes, exactly! Forget posting major cities and hoping to stump people on here.
Barely anybody takes interest in there surroundings. My friends are the same way dude, I moved in March and when I told my friends where I was moving, they never heard of the city I was moving to. They all say I live in Newark because that's all they know(remember) when I try to give them an idea where it's by.

Haha, funny you mention the Empire state building. I lived 8-10 miles from Manhattan all my life (despite my 3 year absence out of the area) and never been to the Empire state building either. I see it all the time, but never actually been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or