Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 08:50 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,885,718 times

Advertisements

People are going to say I'm nuts, but look at Newark, NJ and Jersey City, NJ (as well as surrounding areas such as Harrison, Kearny, and Bayonne as well as New Brunswick)

Mass Transit
The Northeast probably has more mass transit than the rest of the U.S., and the two cities I mentioned are transportation hubs. Plus they are connected to the 24 hour subway in NYC via the 24 hour PATH system. There are busses to everywhere, you can take the train to the beach, and you can take the train, bus, and light rail to the various universites located in Northeastern NJ. Newark is a mass transit hum, and a you can get to almost anywhere in the U.S. from there. Jersey City is not quite as much of a mass transit hub, but it is also close to Hoboken, North Jersey's other mass transit hub.

Water
NJ is famous for "the Shore", which is the local colloquialism (unless you live "down the shore" then it's the beach) and being in Newark or Jersey City, you will have easy access via the North Jersey Coast Line (the train) or various bus services. The beaches are clean, fun, and okay for swimming (although a little bit better for surfing, but not great, depends on the beach). I would not however recommend swimming in any of the natural bodies of water near Newark and Jersey City, because they are heavily polluted. There are however fresh water bodies located not too far away.

Jobs
There are jobs at the nearby port, in construction, McDonalds, etc. You must show that you are willing to work, and it always helps to know someone. NYC is the job mecca of the area, and most mass transit lines lead there, or try to lead there. I would say search craigslist and secure a job before you secure a home.

Education
In Newark, there are several colleges and universities located in Newark's University Hights; the New Jersey Institute of Technology; Rutgers Newark; the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey; and the Essex County Community College. NJ has a very good system of community colleges and you should have no problem getting in. Jersey City has too "okay" universities, New Jersey City University, and St. Peter's College. Nearby in Hoboken (via light rail it's a pretty easy ride) is Steven's University. Both of these cities either connect to, or are located on the North East Corridor (a rail line) which will connect you to Rutger's University New Brunswick (which has 5 campuses in New Brusnwick, another city I would recommend BTW), which has an AMAZING shuttle bus system. You can also take the train and bus to connect to where Drew University and Fairleigh Dickenson University are.

Safety
Newark and Jersey City are very dangerous places, and you must be VERY CAREFUL about where you pick your home. However, both cities are also undergoing a renaissance and parts of Jersey City have become highly desirable, earning it the nickname "the gold coast" because of all the banking companies that have relocated there.

Message me if you have any questions, I have a lot to say on this, and am not sure what to say and know I left many things unsaid.

edit:
An example of things unsaid would be weather. The weather is cold and damp in the late winter, cold and dry in the early winter/late fall, dreadfully humid in August, brilliant in the Spring and fall, and very nice in the Summer. Not sure if the weather here fits your bill. My own personal advice, be ready to sacrifice weather, because it will open up many more doors for you in terms of education/jobs. Once you have an education, you'll probably be able to move to sunnier pastures

As for a music scene, these two cities are lacking, but they are relatively close to the Stone Pony in Asbury Park and the Starland Ball Room in Sayerville, not sure how to get there w/o a car. You're also near NYC where there's pretty much always something going on at all hours.

Last edited by jknic; 05-15-2010 at 08:59 PM.. Reason: didn't finnish reading everthing XP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 12:33 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delayed.Elation View Post
Thanks. I don't really mind if it rains so much, so long as it's a nicer, warm rain- I live on Vancouver Island (Canada) right now, and the rain + wind we get chills you to the bone. Northwest Washington is fairly similar to the weather- little snow, but rains all winter. I'll definitely look at Austin- most of my family is in the Oregon/Washington areas, but some is in Texas. BPerone, Charleston SC or Charleston WV?
Sorry, South Carolina.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:45 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
People are going to say I'm nuts, but look at Newark, NJ and Jersey City, NJ (as well as surrounding areas such as Harrison, Kearny, and Bayonne as well as New Brunswick)

Mass Transit
The Northeast probably has more mass transit than the rest of the U.S., and the two cities I mentioned are transportation hubs. Plus they are connected to the 24 hour subway in NYC via the 24 hour PATH system. There are busses to everywhere, you can take the train to the beach, and you can take the train, bus, and light rail to the various universites located in Northeastern NJ. Newark is a mass transit hum, and a you can get to almost anywhere in the U.S. from there. Jersey City is not quite as much of a mass transit hub, but it is also close to Hoboken, North Jersey's other mass transit hub.

Water
NJ is famous for "the Shore", which is the local colloquialism (unless you live "down the shore" then it's the beach) and being in Newark or Jersey City, you will have easy access via the North Jersey Coast Line (the train) or various bus services. The beaches are clean, fun, and okay for swimming (although a little bit better for surfing, but not great, depends on the beach). I would not however recommend swimming in any of the natural bodies of water near Newark and Jersey City, because they are heavily polluted. There are however fresh water bodies located not too far away.

Jobs
There are jobs at the nearby port, in construction, McDonalds, etc. You must show that you are willing to work, and it always helps to know someone. NYC is the job mecca of the area, and most mass transit lines lead there, or try to lead there. I would say search craigslist and secure a job before you secure a home.

Education
In Newark, there are several colleges and universities located in Newark's University Hights; the New Jersey Institute of Technology; Rutgers Newark; the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey; and the Essex County Community College. NJ has a very good system of community colleges and you should have no problem getting in. Jersey City has too "okay" universities, New Jersey City University, and St. Peter's College. Nearby in Hoboken (via light rail it's a pretty easy ride) is Steven's University. Both of these cities either connect to, or are located on the North East Corridor (a rail line) which will connect you to Rutger's University New Brunswick (which has 5 campuses in New Brusnwick, another city I would recommend BTW), which has an AMAZING shuttle bus system. You can also take the train and bus to connect to where Drew University and Fairleigh Dickenson University are.

Safety
Newark and Jersey City are very dangerous places, and you must be VERY CAREFUL about where you pick your home. However, both cities are also undergoing a renaissance and parts of Jersey City have become highly desirable, earning it the nickname "the gold coast" because of all the banking companies that have relocated there.

Message me if you have any questions, I have a lot to say on this, and am not sure what to say and know I left many things unsaid.

edit:
An example of things unsaid would be weather. The weather is cold and damp in the late winter, cold and dry in the early winter/late fall, dreadfully humid in August, brilliant in the Spring and fall, and very nice in the Summer. Not sure if the weather here fits your bill. My own personal advice, be ready to sacrifice weather, because it will open up many more doors for you in terms of education/jobs. Once you have an education, you'll probably be able to move to sunnier pastures

As for a music scene, these two cities are lacking, but they are relatively close to the Stone Pony in Asbury Park and the Starland Ball Room in Sayerville, not sure how to get there w/o a car. You're also near NYC where there's pretty much always something going on at all hours.
I move in with my friend in a few months to Newark. I personally like the area it's in, but you're really limited as to where to look to live without having to worry about your personal safety. I just feel like Newark is a place you HAVE to move to (I'm living there because it's in walking distance to the community college)

Jersey City is fine, Just make sure you steer clear from Greenville.

Montclair is a better suggestion all in all.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:59 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,885,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I move in with my friend in a few months to Newark. I personally like the area it's in, but you're really limited as to where to look to live without having to worry about your personal safety. I just feel like Newark is a place you HAVE to move to (I'm living there because it's in walking distance to the community college)

Jersey City is fine, Just make sure you steer clear from Greenville.

Montclair is a better suggestion all in all.
Very true, I forgot about Montclair.

Also, I'd advise maybe heading towards Texas (I believe someone suggested Austin) for the sole reason that in the event you run into problems, you have some family nearby.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:11 AM

195 posts, read 396,149 times
Newark NJ has everything on your list !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.